Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's sizing - to trust or not to trust?

Fenton

Familiar Face
Hi guys,

I've recently ordered an Aeros's Highwayman. I gave Amanda my body measurements and told her that I'd like a jacket with a snug, trim fit (since I'm quite athletic). I do trust Aero's work, but do you have any experience with Aero's sizing? That is, particulary if you're looking for a trim jacket (based on the body measurements you gave them)?

cheers,

Fenton

libby

New in Town
Hi Fenton,
I also ordered a Highwayman from Aero a couple of weeks ago. I too have specified a slim fit on account of my build. I have spoke to both Amanda and Will who have been very helpfull and patient. I have every confidence they will get my jacket just right. I gave them a sketch with all my measurements then spoke to Will who seemed to know exactley how i want the jacket to fit. lets keep our fingers crossed eh, but im sure we wont be dissapointed.

Windward

Practically Family
Please share some pics

Fenton said:
Hi guys,

I've recently ordered an Aeros's Highwayman. I gave Amanda my body measurements and told her that I'd like a jacket with a snug, trim fit (since I'm quite athletic). I do trust Aero's work, but do you have any experience with Aero's sizing? That is, particulary if you're looking for a trim jacket (based on the body measurements you gave them)?

cheers,

Fenton

Hi guys - after you purchased your jackets let us see how the Highwayman(s) fits you!!
Regarding your Questions ..."trust or not trust ....here is my answer: TRUST !!!
WindWard

Fenton

Familiar Face
I'm quite confident that they'll get the sizing right. I was just wondering what customers have experienced in the past. I asked for a slim fit because I was told that the Highwayman tends to be rather roomy in the standard version ...

any thoughts?

jaxx

New in Town
TRUST!!!!
i don't think you can have much tougher measurments than me.
im 6'7
237 pounds
size 38 waist
gorilla long arms
and a long torso.

i gave amanda my measurments once. she emailed me a few times asking a few questions. but never did i remeasure or add anything. and they nailed it.

sorry for crap on mirror. its from the paper towel.

Fenton

Familiar Face
jaxx said:
TRUST!!!!
i don't think you can have much tougher measurments than me.
im 6'7
237 pounds
size 38 waist
gorilla long arms
and a long torso.

i gave amanda my measurments once. she emailed me a few times asking a few questions. but never did i remeasure or add anything. and they nailed it.

sorry for crap on mirror. its from the paper towel.

cheers man, that makes me very optimistic! The fit of your jacket absolutely perfect! Did you tell them that you might want to wear a sweater underneath? I my emails I said that I'm going to wear it with shirts and/or light sweaters.

jaxx

New in Town
yea i told them i was going to wear t-shirts and at most a sweater. the adjustable straps on the side work wonders. got them pulled tight with a t-shirt and i can loosen them up and a sweater fits perfectly underneath

Fenton

Familiar Face
jaxx said:
yea i told them i was going to wear t-shirts and at most a sweater. the adjustable straps on the side work wonders. got them pulled tight with a t-shirt and i can loosen them up and a sweater fits perfectly underneath

thanks! that's really good to know. I was looking for a kind of an allround jacket ... seems like I made the right choice then :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Fenton said:
I'm quite confident that they'll get the sizing right. I was just wondering what customers have experienced in the past. I asked for a slim fit because I was told that the Highwayman tends to be rather roomy in the standard version ...

any thoughts?

My Highwayman was not in the least bit "roomy." It was very closely fitted. So close that the next one I get will be two sizes larger.

libby

New in Town
Hi Peacoat,
how much do you rate your Highwayman as a good all-round utillity jacket?
was it money well spent? You mentioned your Highwayman was a snug fit, have you got any photo's of it being worn? I have every confidence with Aero to get the fit im looking for just right, but i still can't help being a little anxious. I suppose the eight week delivery time doesn't help.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"Trust but VeRiFY"

i'll go along with that phrase of Reagan's...i'd trust AERO, but verifying here is certainly a good idea.

i ordered a highwayman, which i sold not for any reasons of dissatisfaction...i was worried about the sizing, comparing aero sizing on ebay (bad idea, sizing has gotten roomier in the last few years)...and in the end i was quite surprised how exact aero got what i was looking for...for my part, i gave them my sizes and then specified i liked a bit more room than to have a jacket fit me like glue...and i got just the right size, as i had expressed i'd like

so as long as you specify your sizes/inch counts/etc, they will fit you perfectly...then, if you add a preference like wanting your jacket to be snug, or (like me, less snug), they will adjust

...and i think what you've seen in this thread is that virtually everyone agrees, aero knows what they're doing size-wise...as well as quality and design-wise

reeeeeeeeeeeeLaX

Peacoat

Bartender
libby said:
Hi Peacoat,
how much do you rate your Highwayman as a good all-round utillity jacket?
was it money well spent? You mentioned your Highwayman was a snug fit, have you got any photo's of it being worn? I have every confidence with Aero to get the fit im looking for just right, but i still can't help being a little anxious. I suppose the eight week delivery time doesn't help.

I will try to get a picture in the next day or so.

My preference is to have a jacket fit like a jacket and not like a shirt. My Highwayman fits like a shirt. If you want a trim fit, it is the jacket for you. I like to have enough room for layering as I ride a motorcycle. There is little room for layering in my Highwayman. In my standard size of 42, I have enough room for layering in every other jacket I have. Not so in the Highwayman; it is fitted to my body. That's why my next one will be in a size 46; that ought to give me the loose fit I want.

So my experience is that the Highwayman is not a "boxy" fit. It tapers from the chest to the waist and looks great. Quality of construction is excellent. Aero knows what it is doing. Lower your anxiety level. If it doesn't fit, you can always send it back.

Fenton

Familiar Face
Peacoat said:
I will try to get a picture in the next day or so.

My preference is to have a jacket fit like a jacket and not like a shirt. My Highwayman fits like a shirt. If you want a trim fit, it is the jacket for you. I like to have enough room for layering as I ride a motorcycle. There is little room for layering in my Highwayman. In my standard size of 42, I have enough room for layering in every other jacket I have. Not so in the Highwayman; it is fitted to my body. That's why my next one will be in a size 46; that ought to give me the loose fit I want.

So my experience is that the Highwayman is not a "boxy" fit. It tapers from the chest to the waist and looks great. Quality of construction is excellent. Aero knows what it is doing. Lower your anxiety level. If it doesn't fit, you can always send it back.

thanks for the reassuring words! By any chance, do you you know how much shorter the jacket tends to be in the front (i.e. compared to the back length)? a couple of inches?

Peacoat

Bartender
Fenton said:
thanks for the reassuring words! By any chance, do you you know how much shorter the jacket tends to be in the front (i.e. compared to the back length)? a couple of inches?

Seems to me it is about the same all the way around. I never noticed any difference. When I get home this evening I will check. Also will try and get my wife to take a picture of me wearing it for Libby.

Peacoat

Bartender
Here are the pictures I said I would post. In the first one I'm not standing up straight and the jacket looks big through the middle; it isn't. I have a 42" chest and a 34" waist. The jacket is closely fitted.

Highwayman31009001.jpg

Highwayman31009002.jpg

Highwayman31009003.jpg

bobjones

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
Here are the pictures I said I would post. In the first one I'm not standing up straight and the jacket looks big through the middle; it isn't. I have a 42" chest and a 34" waist. The jacket is closely fitted.

Hi Peacoat. A few things I noticed:

1) I saw that you left the "V"-shaped" yoke off of the back, did you make any other modifications?

2) The middle of the jacket does seem huge, is it really a slim-fitting jacket?

3) You mentioned it was too small as a size 42, could it have just been a defectively measured Aero, as in its not really a 42? I say this because you're about to go up to a 46, and might be trying too far to correcet the first jacket, which might just have come out of Aero's factory when it should have been destroyed as a factory defect due to size...

4) I see the "squirrel" effect when you life your arms, is it as bad as it looks?

Fenton

Familiar Face
Peacoat said:

Highwayman31009001.jpg

Highwayman31009002.jpg

Highwayman31009003.jpg

thanks for putting up the photos! Great jacket - is it cordovan or a darkish brown? I was also wondering about the so called squirrel effect ... is it a general problem with this type of jacket?

jaxx

New in Town
thats cordovan.
and also about the sizing.
since the jackets are custom made. aero doesn't put the exact size in the jacket. i mean my jacket is a 48 but it says 46 in the jacket. they put what the frame of the jacket is. so if you are a 48 like me. but have a narrow waist and longer torso with longer arms. then they start with a 46 and add to the chest body and length. does that make sense. especially if you ask for a slim fit. they start off with a size smaller and add to that.
hope this makes sense. just woke up and havnt had my coffee yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart