Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable, fitted, french cuff shirts.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
- Dress shirt
- French Cuffed
- Fitted
- Black
- Spread Collar
- 14.5" Neck
- None that white collar and cuffs thing...

Does anyone know such a shirt is available from any online resources at a reasonable price? I have seen them, but at prices in the high $100 to high $200 range. I can hardly justify a $90 shirt on my income, much less one that can be as much as $300.

The closest thing I've found are these Milani shirts on ebay. I did buy one (in grey) to try out the french cuffed look (which I do like) for $25 or so, but the quality is hardly worth mentioning...or in existence for that matter. The collar is way to broad and possibly made of plastic. Not to mention the some of the button holes arrived already frayed.

Valet recently linked to Alexander West, who make custom fitted dress shirts in all styles and hundreds of colors starting at $120 or so. Is this my best bet?

davestlouis

Practically Family
14.5 inch neck...I don't mean to sound silly, but do they even make men's shirts in that size? Lord have mercy, I haven't worn a neck size like that since I was 12 years old. The smallest I see at stores around here are 15 inch.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Some of my dress shirts are 14.5 inches some 15 inches. Seems that an inch as yet to be standardized by most manufacturers. Ideally I'd say I was 14.75 inches, but that's a bit much to ask of anyone but a professional tailor making a custom shirt.

And actually, Kohl's carries a decent number of 14.5 inch shirts.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Hexenmeister, I have the opposite problem...18 inch necks aren't the easiest thing to find, lots of stores only go up to 17.5, unless you go to the Big and Tall/fat boy department.

MB5

One of the Regulars
If you don't need it straight away, keep an eye on http://www.paulfredrick.com/ They do carry 14.5, trim fit, spread collar, french cuff shirts, but nothing in solid black at the moment. Or if you are up to it, you could try dying a white shirt black.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
MB5 said:
If you don't need it straight away, keep an eye on http://www.paulfredrick.com/ They do carry 14.5, trim fit, spread collar, french cuff shirts, but nothing in solid black at the moment. Or if you are up to it, you could try dying a white shirt black.

Hmm, those ain't half bad, and the prices are...comfortable. I may need to seriously consider ordering from there. The spread collar is a nice plus, but a lack thereof is hardly a deal breaker. I just like the sleeker, more contemporary and minimal look of the spread collar over the point collar.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Re. Black Shirt Care

Hand wash in cool water with woolite, line dry or flat dry, press on wrong side of fabric and use a pressing cloth for detail work on the right side.

OR

The shirt will look like crap in short order.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. A friend of mine told me that he ONLY wears dress shirts by t.m.levin for 10 years. They seem to be very high quality. I don't like their collar choices but you asked for a spread collar. Can't find a black one though.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk

Edward

Bartender
billyspew said:
Don't know about shipping, but UK firm TM Lewin has 14.5", it's 4 shirts for £100.

That'd me my recommendation also.

Is it the size availability that is the problem, or is it simply a lack of availability of the details? The big reason I now buy most of my dress shirts online is that it's impossible here in the UK (at least in any shop in my budget, and many well above it) to find a shirt that has a double cuff with anything other than a wide spread collar, of which I am not especially a fan.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I'm wearing a T.M Lewin shirt today - one of the ladies' ones, obviously. Lovely quality cotton, nicely finished seams, good prices but the range of sizes and colours just isn't there. I was trying to get a shirt for my husband (who is not a 14.5"...) and they didn't have a single shirt available within my parameters.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I received my shirt yesterday, from Paul Fredrick, and love it! Most fitted shirts I've bought are more fitted than regular cut shirts, but they're still cut to be worn by a wide variety of body types. Paul Fredrick, on the other hand, doesn't fool around; this shirt fits like a glove.

I do have a question, however, is the best way to care for the cuffs? I mean, should I simply iron them flat, but not fold them before hanging it up and only iron them in half before wearing the shirt?

MB5

One of the Regulars
I'm glad PF worked out. I personally leave them flat until I am wearing the shirt, and then I just fold them. I figure the cuff should last a bit longer that way.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Hexenmeister said:
I received my shirt yesterday, from Paul Fredrick, and love it! Most fitted shirts I've bought are more fitted than regular cut shirts, but they're still cut to be worn by a wide variety of body types. Paul Fredrick, on the other hand, doesn't fool around; this shirt fits like a glove.

I do have a question, however, is the best way to care for the cuffs? I mean, should I simply iron them flat, but not fold them before hanging it up and only iron them in half before wearing the shirt?

I always iron the cuffs flat, with no creases, then fold them over for wearing.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
bbshriver said:
I always iron the cuffs flat, with no creases, then fold them over for wearing.

Okay, that's what I've been doing. I also went out and bought some Woolite for dark clothes and an ironing cloth to prevent myself from glazing another shirt.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80