Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Afghanistan Brown

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Amen Baggers, this is totally asinine.
MARPAT, if it is the most effective pattern, should be utilized by all forces and only when camo is actually needed. The idea of a branch of the militry having a proprietary/ tradenmarked camo pattern or color is outrageous.

The rest should be the regular daily dress uniforms and/or solid color BDUs for garrison duties. To clarify, if you work in an office one wears the daily dress uniform (which should be branch specific). If one works in the motorpool, flightline, weapons depot, etc one wears solid color BDUs.

Time to grow up boys and girls.

And that's basically the way it was during the Vietnam-era. It has all rather gotten silly...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amen Baggers, this is totally asinine.
MARPAT, if it is the most effective pattern, should be utilized by all forces and only when camo is actually needed. The idea of a branch of the militry having a proprietary/ tradenmarked camo pattern or color is outrageous.

The rest should be the regular daily dress uniforms and/or solid color BDUs for garrison duties. To clarify, if you work in an office one wears the daily dress uniform (which should be branch specific). If one works in the motorpool, flightline, weapons depot, etc one wears solid color BDUs.

Time to grow up boys and girls.
Hi

I hope I haven't already said this in the same thread, but I work around a lot of USAF regulars, reserves, and retired (I'm in aerospace), and I usually give them grief about the USAF cammies. What are they hiding? Gravy stains? Grease? It's a concrete flightline!!!!!

Later

Baggers

Practically Family
Hi

I hope I haven't already said this in the same thread, but I work around a lot of USAF regulars, reserves, and retired (I'm in aerospace), and I usually give them grief about the USAF cammies. What are they hiding? Gravy stains? Grease? It's a concrete flightline!!!!!

Later

I recall seeing the first issue of those when they hit a local surplus store that tries to carry all the latest and greatest. Stiff heavy material that couldn't possibly breathe in a useless bluegrey tiger stripe cammo with an internal upper left chest pocket that made for three layers of material to trap heat. As I stated earlier, totally unsuitable for anything other than a climate controlled office environment. In addition, all rank, qualification and name and branch tapes had to be sewn on when every other service had moved to velcro with the occasional clutch backed pin on insignia. Shortly thereafter I read that personnel were authorized to cut out the internal pocket to improve ventilation.

And to top it all off, a pair of sage green rough out leather boots. Try keeping those clean while working on the flight line.

Last edited:

Corky

Practically Family
Soldiers Tell Top NCO They Want MultiCam

Last week, the U.S. Army celebrated its 236th birthday by formally announcing that it would abandon the black beret with all but a select few uniforms. At the time, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Raymond Chandler III said the beret was the top uniform complaint from Soldiers he'd surveyed in the field.

b1_1909.jpg

But during an interview with military bloggers on June 20, Chandler admitted that in addition to the beret complaints, he was hearing that Soldiers wanted to do away with their current camo uniforms and adopt the pattern now being worn by their counterparts in Afghanistan.

"A lot of the Soldiers brought up that they just want to have the MultiCam, or Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage pattern, as the standard design for all uniforms," Chandler said.

crye_multicam.jpg

The Army did a radical about-face in 2009, adopting the MultiCam pattern developed by New York-based design firm Crye Precision to replace its so-called Universal Camo Pattern for Soldiers deployed to Afghanistan. The Operation Enduring Freedom Camo Pattern, or OCP, is popular due to how it blends into the varied backgrounds across the combat zone.

http://www.military.com/news/article/soldiers-tell-top-nco-they-want-multicam.html

mrbieler

New in Town
Coyote brown is the "new black" in tactical gear.

Just be thankful you didn't get the latest version of the Royal Australian Navy's camouflage.

Navy colours in AUSCAM with reflective tape on the arms. Kinda hard to hide when you're glowing...:p

new_ran_uniforms.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Last week, the U.S. Army celebrated its 236th birthday by formally announcing that it would abandon the black beret with all but a select few uniforms. At the time, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Raymond Chandler III said the beret was the top uniform complaint from Soldiers he'd surveyed in the field.

b1_1909.jpg

But during an interview with military bloggers on June 20, Chandler admitted that in addition to the beret complaints, he was hearing that Soldiers wanted to do away with their current camo uniforms and adopt the pattern now being worn by their counterparts in Afghanistan.

"A lot of the Soldiers brought up that they just want to have the MultiCam, or Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage pattern, as the standard design for all uniforms," Chandler said.

crye_multicam.jpg

The Army did a radical about-face in 2009, adopting the MultiCam pattern developed by New York-based design firm Crye Precision to replace its so-called Universal Camo Pattern for Soldiers deployed to Afghanistan. The Operation Enduring Freedom Camo Pattern, or OCP, is popular due to how it blends into the varied backgrounds across the combat zone.

http://www.military.com/news/article/soldiers-tell-top-nco-they-want-multicam.html

I was glad to hear about both of these developments. At least somebody is listening to the troops for once.

Eric P

Familiar Face
The first digital night camo we fielded worked well against Russian night vision of the time.
P1060019.JPG

I don't much keep up with modern military technologies, but I gathered the digital patterns were designed to frustrate electronic surveillance imaging equipment rather than the human eye. [huh]

Baggers

Practically Family
I remember the parkas that were made up in that pattern. It was designed to use the liner from the M-65 field jacket, if I recall. I should have added one to the collection when they were plentiful but didn't. In fact, I've since sold off just about anything from that era, including the one or two pieces of chocolate chip day pattern I had, including the shirt with the "disco collar" and internal yoke.

I've got a Russian 1st gen scope. The image has such low resolution I'm not surprised that pattern could defeat it. However I'm thinking it wouldn't be nearly as effective with current generation NV. And it would be totally useless against thermal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner