Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
Jean Paul Gaultier Homme is a very, very olde worlde masculine cologne. Very spicy with lots of musky hints. Don't be scared by the maker; no-one will think you're gay if you buy it. I think people here would like it.

bk
I'm certain that's not a problem for some of us here. :)

Just to show how oh so vain I am... my cologne is Jovan Musk for Men.* The smallest bottle available has lasted me three years now.

*Actually I just like the smell. I tried it after natural curiosity ("A cologne with my first name on it?") got the better of me.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Is that the one called Le Mâle?

That's the one. In the man-shaped bottle.

Img226121371.jpg

bk

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
I love the smell when I go for an oil change. Valvoline is like an aphrodisiac. :eek:

O.K., I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing this one having smelled my fair share of oil over the years. But, anyway, if it works for you Miss Brill, I'm cool with that.

Hey Brylcream, I'm going to have to check out that Tommy Bahama stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mark, the boyfriend of my (recently passed away) sister told me that his father had invested in, or lent money to, the cologne workshop of a Hungarian immigrant in CA. I think they knew each other through the Mormon church. This was in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Mark recently was cleaning out his dad's garage and found boxes of the stuff and sold it on E-Bay. It's pretty nice. He gave me a large bottle for X-Mas and now I wear it. I cannot describe it well except to say it seems "masculine" to me. The cologne I was wearing before was Hugh something and I liked that quite a bit too. Cologne shopping is an amusing experience. Before I had settled on the Hugh something, I went to Macy's or Nordstroms and my girlfriend at the time tried to tell the cologne counter-boy, a most effeminate fellow (NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT, as Seinfeld would say) what I wanted and he kept pushing floral scents ... she finally had to say straight out, "something more MASCULINE" at which the counter-boy said "oh, that's out of style now." Naturally we left that store and then to Sephora on Market Street. The woman we found there was a complete nut, describing the different scents with wild gestures, dipping low to the ground to talk about "low notes" and raising her hands up like a ballerina to talk about florals. I smelled about 6 colognes. The woman nicely gave me coffee beans to smell in between each cologne, to clear me out (like pickled ginger between sushi rolls). I settled on the Hugh something, which turned out to be the cheapest of the lot, maybe 40 bucks -- I was not privy to the price tags, I swear. That one was fine, then I had some cheap stuff from Russia with a Russian label that I found in an apartment in Poland that my father-in-law had bought after a couple died in Krakow. But now I have the Hungarian emigre stuff and ... I like it.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Bay Rum Aftershave and Extracts

This company may be of interest to some of you.

The NY Times magazine this past Sunday listed a bay rum aftershave made by Massachusetts-based extract company called Charles H. Baldwin & Sons.

The article says the bay rum has been produced since the 1930's.

They also have many cooking and baking extracts.

Here is their add: http://www.baldwinextracts.com/index.html

Ciao!

Bay Rum is an old tyme aftershave that is a really nice manly scent.

I have a bottle of Pinauds-Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum which has more of an herbal note and a bottle of Body Crystal Caribbean Bay Rum which has more of a rum note.

Duluth Trading has 2 different brands which sound good.

I did a big mistake by putting a couple of drops of the aftershave on a shave soap and it did not improve the soap's scent one bit.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
It took me years to finally find out that the great barber shop scent was Pinaud's Clubman; I swear by the stuff now--not too strong and a wonderful, subtle scent during the course of the day. I love their talc, too. Heck, I even bought a styptic pencil of theirs!

I've also gotten back into Caswell-Massey's Jockey Club cologne. Woodsy, touch of powder. Just perfect.

I tried lavender because Frank Sinatra loved it; it smelled like OFF bug repellent on me!lol

As for shaving cream, nothing fancy and I still have a can of Barbasol's Cool Menthol, since discontinued. I bought four cans of the stuff when I got suspicious about the product's sudden disappearance from store shelves.

Nathan Dodge said:
As for shaving cream, nothing fancy and I still have a can of Barbasol's Cool Menthol, since discontinued. I bought four cans of the stuff when I got suspicious about the product's sudden disappearance from store shelves.
If you haven't tried the brush and soap routine yet, you have a treat in store for you. Even the inexpensive soaps like Willianms and Burma Shave when carefully whipped with hot water and brush have a lubricity that is much better than canned shaving cream. It is an improvement that is significant.

Buy a decent badger brush (no wood handles) then get a mug and shave soap when you are able. You'll find wet shaving to be a step up from canned.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have an inexplicable weakness for Old Spice. NOT because my dad wore it - my dad came of age in the '70s and wore no such thing, and was in fact jaw-dropped confused when I said once in passing (to my younger brother, who'd bought that Axe bodyspray due to the women-chasing-you commercials) that Old Spice was classic and attractive.

My dad: "OLD SPICE?! Old [expletive] men wear OLD SPICE!"

I laughed.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
I have an inexplicable weakness for Old Spice. NOT because my dad wore it - my dad came of age in the '70s and wore no such thing, and was in fact jaw-dropped confused when I said once in passing (to my younger brother, who'd bought that Axe bodyspray due to the women-chasing-you commercials) that Old Spice was classic and attractive.

My dad: "OLD SPICE?! Old [expletive] men wear OLD SPICE!"

I laughed.

I have to agree. Old Spice smells so nice... I also really like... oh... I can't remember the name. But Axe really makes me sick, too much makes my head spin, and the guys where I am are obsessed!

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Axe is nasty, my boys love it. My husband started wearing Old Spice again when I showed him an article about salesmen wearing it closed more sales.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
If you haven't tried the brush and soap routine yet, you have a treat in store for you. Even the inexpensive soaps like Willianms and Burma Shave when carefully whipped with hot water and brush have a lubricity that is much better than canned shaving cream. It is an improvement that is significant.

Buy a decent badger brush (no wood handles) then get a mug and shave soap when you are able. You'll find wet shaving to be a step up from canned.

I haven't tried the brush method yet! I can appreciate the ritual involved, but Caswell massey sells a nice brush and the soap as well. I'm in the middle of a beard right now (vacation), but will give the brush method a try. I don't think I'll be using a straight razor, though.

Back to scents: I'm another Old Spice user, and I also get that whiff of nostalgia from "Canoe", as well.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I think my poor nose is worn out...

and hit overload from taking off to various places; Nordstrom, Macys, Sephora, and smelling far tooo many testers and sample cards!

The only one that really struck me was one at the local Mont Blanc store, their men's fragrance called "Exceptionnel". Have any of the gents here tried it?? After looking this up on www.basenotes.net this, and Mont Blanc's "Individuel" both sound terrific... They had a tester of "Exceptionnel" at the store that I could spray on a card.

My hubby has worn the same fragrance for many years that I really like on him, "Scott McClintock for Men" by Jessica Mc Clintock. Hey, my wedding gown and after the wedding dress and the gals dresses were all from there... It was the early 90s does Victorian look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot