Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agatha Christie's "Poirot"

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David Souchet IS Poirot!...

The Poirot series with Souchet is just excellent. Captain Hastings is quite the dedicated follower of fashion, is he not?! And he loves Bugatti's!

And, Oh!... Mrs. Lemon!! :rolleyes:

Chickpea

Familiar Face
Suchet IS Poirot, and it just feels wrong to see anyone else play this part. Ustinov is simply not the caracter.

I collect Poirot (Suchet), and watch it over and over again.
Everything is right; the feel, the architecture, the clothes and furniture, the english understatements... Wonderful props.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks to Amanda, Poirot is a new passion for me. It is simply not on often enough. I see it shows up on the Biography Channel from time to time and I always try to catch it.

Now, someone told me there's some novelizations out there... ;) lol

They moved it in the last couple of weeks from Sunday afternoons to Saturday afternoon and, I think, into Saturday evening.

Sunny

One Too Many
Chickpea said:
Suchet IS Poirot, and it just feels wrong to see anyone else play this part. Ustinov is simply not the caracter.

I collect Poirot (Suchet), and watch it over and over again.
Everything is right; the feel, the architecture, the clothes and furniture, the english understatements... Wonderful props.

That's a really good point. The Suchet series often takes great liberties with, if not the actual facts of the cases, but with the setting and development. Capt. Hastings and especially Miss Lemon are inserted into many stories that originally involved Poirot alone. I'm usually a big proponent for textual accuracy, but this scarcely bothers me. It's because the facts, the characters, and most of all the feel of the stories remain true and consistent. Short stories are lengthened and dramatised, novels are telescoped, but the essentials are the same. And I won't dare to say that the changes actually improve the originals - but as the gentlemen have made abundantly clear, Miss Lemon, a vastly different character in the stories, is quite popular! :D

Chickpea

Familiar Face
Very true Sunny. The original stories are merely a background for these small captures of a past time.

I´ve seen episodes w/o Hastings and Lemon, and it´s definately not the same. They compliment mr.Poirot and brings forth his ecentricities and his wonderful sense of humour.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I'm another Suchetist. I loved the series. I bought myself all of the movies on dvd and especially like watching them after a bad day at work - I find them oddly soothing (same with the books). :)

When Los Angeles hosted the "World Congress on Art Deco," many years ago now, one of the producers of the show (then still in production) was a guest speaker - I recall him mentioning the constant and difficult search for filming loctions, and the careful editing needed.

The Reno Kid said:
Also, if you haven's seen them, you really should take a look at the series of three Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries with Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter Wimsey. I really enjoyed the older Wimsey productions with Ian Carmichael, but Petherbridge really captures the character. Highly recommended!

At the same event as above, I met this fellow:
47b7db27b3127cce839a84e3216a00000035100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Clarence Bertram St John Fitz Montague, aka "Bertie," there promoting the Napier NZ Art Deco Weekend (Napier would eventually host the World Congress also). I thought he would make the perfect Wimsey (in fact, I suspect he is Wimsey, working undercover as "Bertie") and ever since have been unable to accept anyone else in the role. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Decobelle said:
At the same event as above, I met this fellow: Clarence Bertram St John Fitz Montague, aka "Bertie," there promoting the Napier NZ Art Deco Weekend (Napier would eventually host the World Congress also)
47b7db27b3127cce839a84e3216a00000035100JZOG7Zm1Yo
Here's Mojito's thread about her visit to the Napier shindig.

Sunny

One Too Many
Decobelle said:
Clarence Bertram St John Fitz Montague, aka "Bertie," there promoting the Napier NZ Art Deco Weekend (Napier would eventually host the World Congress also). I thought he would make the perfect Wimsey (in fact, I suspect he is Wimsey, working undercover as "Bertie") and ever since have been unable to accept anyone else in the role. :(

In Murder Must Advertise, Wimsey goes undercover in an advertising agency. He's described by a co-worker as "Bertie Wooster in horn-rims,... but older - a well-preserved forty." lol :eusa_clap

Cascadian

New in Town
Based on the rave reviews on this thread, I've just requested a number of the David Suchet Poirot books-on-CD from my local library. Thank you for the recommendations!

FATS88

One of the Regulars
*I Couldn't resist

My Mother recommended this series to me,
I probably would not have bothered to watch it.
It's great! presently saving up for classic collection 2.
I don't know about the lapel vase, cool but I'm bit too active
to wear one of those, I wouldn't want to lose it.
But I'll tell you what I did search and find; is the little
oval compact mirror that Poirot used in an episode.
I found a exact replica on Ruby lane's website,
carved ivory with a mirror on one side,
and inlays for a tiny nail file etc. on the other.
It sold for $275...it was already sold,
I'm glad too! I found a wood version for $5.00
including the personalized engraving, fits right in my waistcoat pockets,
just like the Maestro himself.
Anybody know where one might find one of those BEAUTIFULLY
detailed embroidered lounge coats, that he wears so well?

Fats88

*"I AM NOT A LITTLE NEAT FRENCHMAN,
I AM A NEAT LITTLE BELGIAN"

FATS88

One of the Regulars
No shame in your game!

Have yet to discover the written works of Agatha Christie,
Should I start,(It'll probably be some time from now)
which books, or particular series would you recommend to start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters