Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agatha Christie's "Poirot"

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
FATS88 said:
Have yet to discover the written works of Agatha Christie,
Should I start,(It'll probably be some time from now)
which books, or particular series would you recommend to start?

Well I love the Miss Marpe & Hercule Poirot series, of which I can recommend of the top of my head :

The Mystery of the blue train (Poirot)
Cat among Pigeons (Poirot)¨
of course Deat on the Nile (Poirot)
Sleeping Murder (Marple)

I must admit I sometimes prefer Poirot because of the setting, it is often a little bit more glamorous, where Miss Marple is for the most part set in small english villages. But both are great mystery series.

Sunny

One Too Many
Other recommended Poirots:

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (the first Poirot)
Murder on the Links
Thirteen at Dinner
Murder in Mesopotamia

For Miss Marple, Murder at the Vicarage is one of the best (and I believe one of the first). The Tuesday Night Club (short stories) is also excellent.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Ms.Christie in print

Thanks Darhling and Sunny!
I'll make a note of those titles.
I only asked because I recently started reading Simenon's Maigret a serie,
and I would have liked to have known the chronological
order of the "cases" beforehand.

The compact mirror that I mentioned earlier in this thread,
was seen in;
"The Adventure Of The Clapham Cook"
which is also my favorite of the episodes I've seen thus far.

what are your favorites loungers?

Cheers!
Fats88

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just watched "The Lost Mine" episode last night. Poirot and Hastings battle over Monopoly, which is hilarious. As interesting as Poirot is, I suspect most of us would want to be Hastings. He romances women, plays the ponies, and always look sharply dressed without being persnickity as Poirot. While Christie did not always use him in the books, it was genius for the producer/writers to keep him in the series. Hugh Fraser always did a marvelous job on camera and even as a narrator for some of the Christie "books on CD."

Is it true they are making new episodes including Curtain? I hope Hasting is back.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cap'n Hastings

Does anyone know where I could score some snaps of his clothes. Like his favourite blue tweed beltback?:eusa_doh: [huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
DecoDahlia said:
Check this out if you're a fan of The Poirot series starring David Suchet:

http://itv.com/Drama/classiccrime/poirot/AppointmentwithDeath/default.html

Hopefully, it shall be broadcast in The U.S.

I read somewhere the new episodes will be aired on PBS's MYSTERY. While it is awesome it is set in 1938, it doesn't look like Hastings will be in the show. I heard the last episode will be CURTAINS - the death of Poirot. How sad.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
I read somewhere the new episodes will be aired on PBS's MYSTERY. While it is awesome it is set in 1938, it doesn't look like Hastings will be in the show. I heard the last episode will be CURTAINS - the death of Poirot. How sad.

oh no, that's so sad.. I wonder how many episodes where made in total..

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I have actually met David Suchet...

... when he visited my home town a few years ago to see a new development in the local canal system. He's a "jolly good chap" as we say over here in dear old Blighty.

David is heavily into the preservation of our English canal network and its use for leisure and other types of boating, as is his good friend and fellow actor Timoth West (best known for his portrayal of King Edward VII and his theatrical work.)

I met David with our Mayor and presented him with a framed aerial photo of the local canal wharves taken in the 1930s. He was very pleased, which was gratifying :D

Yes, David Suchet's Hercule Poirot is without doubt the very finest performance of the Belgian detective! Far superior to Peter Ustinov, whose portrayal is half caricature, half comedy.

Moreover, the Suchet Poirot productions are superb in every way. As a professional photographer, I highly recommend that any photography enthusiast should study the first few seasons of Poirot closely - they have the most impeccable photographic composition, it really jumps out of the screen like 3D once you understand what you are looking at!

David Suchet is to Hercule Poirot as Jeremy Brett is to Sherlock Holmes - they will never be beaten, imho. I have both series in full on DVD and will never tire of seeing them again and again. :eusa_clap

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Two Gun Bob said:
... when he visited my home town a few years ago to see a new development in the local canal system. He's a "jolly good chap" as we say over here in dear old Blighty.

David is heavily into the preservation of our English canal network and its use for leisure and other types of boating, as is his good friend and fellow actor Timoth West (best known for his portrayal of King Edward VII and his theatrical work.)

I met David with our Mayor and presented him with a framed aerial photo of the local canal wharves taken in the 1930s. He was very pleased, which was gratifying :D

Yes, David Suchet's Hercule Poirot is without doubt the very finest performance of the Belgian detective! Far superior to Peter Ustinov, whose portrayal is half caricature, half comedy.

Moreover, the Suchet Poirot productions are superb in every way. As a professional photographer, I highly recommend that any photography enthusiast should study the first few seasons of Poirot closely - they have the most impeccable photographic composition, it really jumps out of the screen like 3D once you understand what you are looking at!

David Suchet is to Hercule Poirot as Jeremy Brett is to Sherlock Holmes - they will never be beaten, imho. I have both series in full on DVD and will never tire of seeing them again and again. :eusa_clap

I couldn't agree more with Suchet is to Poirot what Brett is to Holmes, perfectly stated.

Off topic: I have actually sailed on the canals in this long boat when I was a wee girl, I remember a town called Wolverhampton (could that be right?) and I was sure there were wolves there. My dad has this old VHS tape from the trip, I think it must have been in '81 or something.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Amazing! I live just a few miles from Wolverhampton :D The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon Lady Wulfruna, a local noble. There are Wolves there but they are only the local football team lol

Actually it's "narrowboat" (though they are long!) but I would expect someone from Sweden to be more familiar with the viking long boat (or ship) ;) - I guess we English got the idea from our Viking half-ancestors...!

I think I still have a pic of David when I met him, I will have a look for it at work. Meanwhile:

David Suchet on a narrowboat

suchet-cake.jpg

Typical narrowboats at Wolverhampton

Narrowboat1.jpg

Darhling said:
I couldn't agree more with Suchet is to Poirot what Brett is to Holmes, perfectly stated.

Off topic: I have actually sailed on the canals in this long boat when I was a wee girl, I remember a town called Wolverhampton (could that be right?) and I was sure there were wolves there. My dad has this old VHS tape from the trip, I think it must have been in '81 or something.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Two Gun Bob said:
Amazing! I live just a few miles from Wolverhampton :D The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon Lady Wulfruna, a local noble. There are Wolves there but they are only the local football team lol

Actually it's "narrowboat" (though they are long!) but I would expect someone from Sweden to be more familiar with the viking long boat (or ship) ;) - I guess we English got the idea from our Viking half-ancestors...!

I think I still have a pic of David when I met him, I will have a look for it at work. Meanwhile:

David Suchet on a narrowboat

suchet-cake.jpg

Typical narrowboats at Wolverhampton

Narrowboat1.jpg

YES, those were the boats we travelled in.. well I was only three years old so I called it what it looked like lol

Great photos!! ooh I love him, he is such a dear man.. silly question, does he have that accent in real life?

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
No, he speaks perfect unaccented English, except when he is using "the little grey cells" lol

A couple of pics from 2002 when I met him below.

Darhling said:
YES, those were the boats we travelled in.. well I was only three years old so I called it what it looked like lol

Great photos!! ooh I love him, he is such a dear man.. silly question, does he have that accent in real life?

DavidSuchet30Jan02.jpg

With the Mayor of Walsall.

DavidSuchetGlass30Jan02.jpg

Checking out a new fundraising video for a press photo.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Suchet is such a class act. I love it that he won't appear in Poirot dress when not acting. He seems all too well adjusted for the major talent that he is.

But I post because I have to brag...I just won the Poirot Classic Collection on DVD on Ebay for $69 (with shipping). It is 36 wonderful episodes on 10 discs. I have bid on this set before a few times and it always goes for over $100. It apparently was mine time to win one (after losing a sweet plum brown fedora from Matt Decker)...

Now to obtain Classic Collection Vol 2!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
New Poirots

Halleluia! Just found out the new Poirots start on Sunday on Aussie ABC. Now I am afraid I've missed one...according to you guys the first one is in Syria aka Morocco...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo