Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agatha Christie's "Poirot"

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just got the Classic Collection V1 and the transfer quality is dreadful. I don't expect high-def but there are glitches in the picture. I'm sure it will never be fixed so it is something I'll live with and won't stop me from getting Vol 2. (Ahh...Hastings with his belted back jackets - sweet)

splatt

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Halleluia! Just found out the new Poirots start on Sunday on Aussie ABC. Now I am afraid I've missed one...according to you guys the first one is in Syria aka Morocco...

Good find Cookie...now i just need to remember to set the media center to record them :)

Tiller

Practically Family
Agatha Christie's Poirot

Since it seems I'm not the only fan of this wonderful series, and the most famous Belgian detective I figured we should discus it :). I just got done watching Death on the Nile. Great story! Only thing I'm confused on is the character of Timothy Allerton. Is his character suppose to be gay, or is his mother not his mother? Cause after he rejects the advances of Rosalie Otterbourne, and he says "Barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid", his "mother" then calls him as he looks up and smiles at her then closes the door after they walk into their bedroom together.:confused:

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
not sure how accurate the info is but i've read that Agatha Christie thought Albert Finney's performance in Murder on the Orient Express was exactly what she had imagined Poirot would be like...if he were a real person...if that makes any sense...

irb

Familiar Face
For me, David Suchet captures the small, minute movements of the Belgian detective perfectly. I must also confess that his Poirot is responsible for my interest in pinz-nez specs.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Watched "Cat amongst the Pidgeons" on ABC TV (Australia) on Sunday night, the new episodes are much darker, than the 1980s/90s shows and no Hastings or Miss Lemon.

And they don't show any street scenes, I guess they are trying to save Money!!

P.S also love Tommy & Tuppence!!

tommy+2.jpg

JamesWarwick_TommyTuppence.jpg

045885_33.jpg

004588_44.jpg

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I adore Poirot with David Suchet, he's the most admirable and true to his character than any other Poirot I've seen. Netflix has a decent collection, which I've seen all of. Although there is still more to the collection that isn't on Netflix I haven't seen. I so am eager for The Murder of the Orient Express show! If it were possible I would love to adopt all the clothes they feature in this show. Captain Arthur Hastings got to be the best dressed. My boyfriend and I always have to watch Poirot at least once every 2 weeks. I'm fascinated by the show!

Here's an interview of the making in progress for the video game.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tiller said:
Timothy Allerton. Is his character suppose to be gay, or is his mother not his mother?
[huh] In the book he falls for Rosalie but in the movie she's rebuffed.

Tiller

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
[huh] In the book he falls for Rosalie but in the movie she's rebuffed.

That's what I have been told, but I haven't gotten to that book yet (At the moment I'm reading The Labors of Hercules, and Nero Wolfe's Fer-De-Lance, although I do have the book). At first I thought they where trying to say he was gay, but then when his mother showed up, and they both smiled at each other as they seemed to slowly walk with each other back into their bedroom made me think something else was going on.

Tiller

Practically Family
deco_darling said:
I adore Poirot with David Suchet, he's the most admirable and true to his character than any other Poirot I've seen. Netflix has a decent collection, which I've seen all of. Although there is still more to the collection that isn't on Netflix I haven't seen. I so am eager for The Murder of the Orient Express show! If it were possible I would love to adopt all the clothes they feature in this show. Captain Arthur Hastings got to be the best dressed. My boyfriend and I always have to watch Poirot at least once every 2 weeks. I'm fascinated by the show!

Yes, Murder on the Orient Express, and The Big Four! For that one they will have to bring back Japp and Hastings ;).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The new ones I have been watching on the ABC have been very complex and I have nodded off and had to watch the ending later on Foxtel IQ.

There is none of the humour or silliness at Poirot HQ with Hastings and motor cars etc...tezannes from Miss LE.MON

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I just ordered a copy of the Poirot biography that came out about ten years ago? Anyone read it? I imagine it had the approval of the Christie estate.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
x16547.jpg

If you talking about "The life and times of Hercule Poirot" its OK must say I greatly prefer this book as its all about the making of the Tv series in the 1980s-90's

Yes I am. I have both books. The TV show one is also outstanding!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
Watched "Cat amongst the Pidgeons" on ABC TV (Australia) on Sunday night, the new episodes are much darker, than the 1980s/90s shows and no Hastings or Miss Lemon.

There's no way to skimp on such a high level of production values - they're obviously on location to begin with, so I don't see how having a street in the scene would cost that much more.

Cat amongst the Pigeons aired in NY last night. I thought it was less interesting from the mystery viewpoint than for the interpersonal dynamic among the characters. Everyone's motivations were a bit muddy, tho, I think because more than usual relied on the dialogue, making it eassy to miss.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
BinkieBaumont said:

"What I meant was that in the old series if there was a street scene they had vintage cars, trains , street signs, passers by in period clothing every detail was involved, there is non of that with the new shows, just a few hired antiques placed here and there"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo