Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< age appropriate jackets >>>

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Most people who have negative comments about how you look are insecure about themselves and are trying to even the playing field so to speak. I do think there is a fine line between trying too hard and being you, but it has nothing to do with what you wear, but more so how you wear it. If you got the right attitude, frame of mind, almost air of arrogance about it (in a good way), you can pull it off. There are certain styles that won't work for some people, most of it has to do with fit though and or your body type to that particular piece of clothing. So long as you're not hurting anyone, don't understand why people care. And even if it is only superficial and not about just wearing some clothes, i.e. wearing this jacket makes me feel younger or feel cool or whatever, who cares, really? Every time I put on a leather jacket or pair of Redwings I feel like I can conquer the world. I know I'm walking taller, keeping my head up, got some swagger. Or I guess I could wear oversized pajamas out like most people do nowadays and just be sheep like everyone else.

Everything about Tom of Finland is oversized...;)
He's rocking a Cal, right?

Cal or Langlitz. I think Cal. Some years ago when I was working in a book store, we got this deluxe, limited edition art-book about Tom & his work, and there was a photo of his studio with one wall literally covered in leather jacket. Sick collection, we're talking vtg Cal's, padded Langlitz', etc.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day.

We were discussing our stage in life (mid fifties) and all that goes with it. Eventually the topic of personal style came up. We joked a lot about styles from the 80’s etc., and what may look good on some folks, doesn’t always look good on others.

At this point, I mentioned that I was considering another leather jacket purchase and showed her this ….

The response I got was “that’s not very age appropriate”. It was said tongue in cheek, but still, it got me to thinking and it gave me pause …

Am I over the hill for such a jacket? I mean I don’t ride. What say the collective brain power here.

Flame away … View attachment 398909
Driving down the “age appropriate” lane is a slow drive down i wish i would have turned left a lifetime ago because i might have smiled more, felt more, loved more and lived longer.
Wear the hell outta those jackets and change lanes often lest you bore yourself to death.
B

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What was the first thing that came to your mind when you first saw that RM J24 jacket? I'd go with that. As long as its within the budget, go for it. Or not. Every minute spent thinking about it would take time away from enjoying it or another jacket or whatever you fancy. You've worked hard for your money, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
What was the first thing that came to your mind when you first saw that RM J24 jacket? I'd go with that. As long as its within the budget, go for it. Or not. Every minute spent thinking about it would take time away from enjoying it or another jacket or whatever you fancy. You've worked hard for your money, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

This really resonates with me. FWIW, I liked it from the moment I saw it.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not age-appropriate?
Fortunately, that's always in the eye of the beholder.
4E8CA2A5-DF8D-43A7-9695-7C57D7E237F2.jpeg

Fifty150

One Too Many

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you look in the mirror and feel comfortable, that's fine. For the most part, it's a confidence thing. If you feel self-conscious wearing anything, then it'll look awkward. I have a cordovan Bootlegger and a Board Racer and I love wearing, but conversely I cannot rock a biker jacket and never have.

Yango

One of the Regulars
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day.

We were discussing our stage in life (mid fifties) and all that goes with it. Eventually the topic of personal style came up. We joked a lot about styles from the 80’s etc., and what may look good on some folks, doesn’t always look good on others.

At this point, I mentioned that I was considering another leather jacket purchase and showed her this ….

The response I got was “that’s not very age appropriate”. It was said tongue in cheek, but still, it got me to thinking and it gave me pause …

Am I over the hill for such a jacket? I mean I don’t ride. What say the collective brain power here.

Flame away … View attachment 398909
37569627-4637-4024-B95E-098798D37208.jpeg

…show her this…

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
no, it's a classic style that anyone regardless of age, shape or size can wear, as long as the fit is good. The only time these look corny is when it's a cheap faux MC type jacket like you'd find at a place like H&M or at the mall etc. But one from one of the brands that gets talked about here will look amazing. I'd advise maybe looking for one without epaulettes though as those can push it over the top a bit. I'm mid 50's also and wear an Aero Ridley Buco style D Pocket, and got it without epaulettes, and I'm glad I did. I also wear it without its belt. You do have to be careful of the rest of the outfit with one of these on though...be careful of taking other risks at the same time like skinny jeans, printed T's, cheesy looking footwear etc.

Before you listen to this friend, consider what she does like and decide if you trust her taste. She might have garbage taste.

Last edited:

Rgcards

A-List Customer
It's age inappropriate to date 25 year girls. But there are some guys who can pull it off if they want. Same guys can wear a buco cross zip if they want. It's all about who's in the jacket

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Just look at our very own TMitchell. He looks very "age appropriate" in his "young guy only" cross zips. I think he looks a little out of place when he wears an "age appropriate" half belt. I couldn't e

Ok, that is a challenge!:)

I never wore or owned a Crosszip until I started hanging around here and I was already old! I'm a newbe when it comes to cross zips.

LOve ya All, old and new, young and old

upload_2022-1-30_21-47-37.jpeg

upload_2022-1-30_21-48-16.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana