Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Age of a Resistol?

MattC

A-List Customer
Plastic in liners

James--

I have a couple of hats (a Knox with a fairly high crown and a medium 2.25" brim and a neat old Borsalino with the vent thing in the sweat band) that have a kind of frosted plastic instead of clear plastic in the liner. Any idea when that was in use? I also have a Dobbs (which I have the 1949 sales slip for) and a couple of Borsalinos which have an orange tinted plastic in the liner.

Matt

MattC said:
James--

I have a couple of hats (a Knox with a fairly high crown and a medium 2.25" brim and a neat old Borsalino with the vent thing in the sweat band) that have a kind of frosted plastic instead of clear plastic in the liner. Any idea when that was in use? I also have a Dobbs (which I have the 1949 sales slip for) and a couple of Borsalinos which have an orange tinted plastic in the liner.

The orange tinted "cloth like" plastic is probably from the late 40s---after the war. That was their first try at getting plastics into hats. The frosted plastic is probably just Knox's version with a better type of plastic that didn't yellow quite as much. Borsalino probably took a little bit longer to tool up after the war to get production going again so you will see the same thing in their hats into the 1950s.
You have to remember that this was a new thing and people in the 1940s saw the plastic we see today as junk, as a luxury item that was new and fresh. A hat with a plastic liner top was more costly and touted by the hat companies as preventing stains and making the liner last much longer. I am not sure if it did that. It makes the hat breathe less to me but se la vie. :p
The clear sort of stiff plastic in the liners usually mean they are 1950s or later. They got the plastic process down pat by then and it was easy to make a clear plastic that would not yellow much at all over time. Hair tonics, oils and pomades did take their toll on the plastic though. It could yellow even a clear plastic. ;) Most of the 1950s liners are easily wiped clean with a soft cloth and a little 409 if they are entirely intact. Just be careful not to get it on the rest of the liner. :p
All of this is sort of tentative on the quantity of hat liners the hat companies ordered. If they had stock from the previous year then they would use it until there were no more before they ordered the newer types. That makes dating them specifically by the liner alone a bit more dicey.

Regards to all,

J

Levallois

Practically Family
Well, I heard back from Rich Rand of Rand Custom Hats. He is a hat maker and collector and has co-written a book called "The Cowboy Hat." He looked at the photos of my Resistol and thinks it was made in the 1960s due to the presence of the plastic lining toper and two-row band which he say are both 60's characteristics. I'm confused as I think some of you have said that the plastic liner could be late 1940s-on characteristic and Mr Rand shows in his book a hat worn by western character actor Chill Wills with exactly the same two-row ribbon-band that the book says was worn in the 1940s-1950s. So, I'm confused. Like my old archaeology professor used to say: "This is not an exact science."

The bottom line is that I like the hat and it seems as well made or better than any of the newer hats I've seen. I don't know if the beaver percentage was more in those days but it feels different than my newer hats. In any event, I will wear it no matter if it's 40 or 50 years old.

I appreciate everyone's help very much!

John

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I didn't read everything, so this may have been mentioned...but it could be possible that the original owner had to have the liner replaced for some reason later in the hats life. Just my two cents :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Going by the pictures on the box (very 1920-1930's pictures) It could very well be a 60's hat. look at the hat's style, very 60's.
60's did have a big 20's revival going on, beahive hairdoos were high top bob doos, narrow lapelled suits and wide ribboned hats, Buster Keaton was back in theaters... If it's plastic on the top it is post war.

I need a vintage western hat.

Levallois

Practically Family
For those of you who have been following this topic, Charlie over at the SBS, through his contacts with several older liner makers and a hatter, has narrowed the manufacture date of my Resistol to 1947.

I appreciate everyones help at this forum as well! You've peaked my interest in old hats again to the tune of buying two over the last two weeks after about a 5 year span of no purchases. I'm happy but my wife may want to have a word with all of you.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic