Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aged Tan Cafe Racer is here

andy richards

Practically Family
Wow! That is an excellent looking jacket! Fits you very well. I like the colour and aged hide. Aero did an excellent job. Thanks for posting and enjoy wearing this jacket in good health.
Andy

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thanks.

I love it so much, since its already scuffed and also the lightweight makes it a to-go jacket that you can just throw on or off. The horsehide is beautiful, but it can actually be scratched easy against walls and such.

I love the front, the clean lines, but Im not so sure about the back still. It feels like its making the jacket more complicated...I dunno, im not used to it yet.

I have to say thanks to Jansolo also, he helped me with the length and some thoughts about the style. We have almost the same chest so I got the same size. His jacket must be hellasnug tho because he is a bit bigger then me in the upper area. (I am certainly bigger in the pie-area tho :D )

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Griff,

my holidays lagged my congratulation to your exelent new beauty. The color is great and the fir trerrific.

Enjoy it.

Olli

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Love it! if I was younger and not as overbuilt, this colour would be a serious temptation for me. Anyway, the way things are with my physique, I'll stick with my plain back black CR.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Specs:

I am about 160# and 180cm long (dont know what that is in foot but its 71")
The jacket is tight on me, if I swing my upper body when its closed, it doesnt move in the waist area it stays put because its so tight.
If I wanted a more casual jacket I would have needed a 42 myself.
I do however almost always wear it open.

I added 1" length in arms and body on this size 40 and the specs are:

Pit to pit: 22.8"
Waist: (bottom of jacket) 20"
Front: (by the zipper) 21"
Back: (from collar seem) 26"
Armlength: 24.8"

Edward

Bartender
In action. (she almost fell and I were there to the rescue)
9.jpg

Aha! A rare photo that shows you from the chin up! lol Sharp fitting jacket. I imagine that is neat on the waist fastened. I'm very definitely an Aero 42 (perfect on my shoulders over a shirt, anything up to a light sweater or a thick, brushed cotton shirt - exactly what I was after) - I have a Bootlegger, MC and now a 30s halfbelt in that size. The MC is noticeably neat on the waist when fastened - not uncomfortably so, but you do feel it. I imagine that will ease a bit as the jacket breaks in, though were I to be using it on a bike, I should think I'd appreciate it staying put with no riding up (I assume this to be a design feature).

For some reason this colour of leather reminds me of Steve Macqueen. [huh] It's not one I would ever have dreamed of for myself until I saw your photos; now I'm wondering whether Aero might do their 'Summer halfbelt' in that colour... The aging is extremely well done. I have never seen pre-aging on an Aero before, but I imagine it's something for which there is a market - c/f Eastman's 'fifty mission' treatment on their USAAF designs. Very convincing. I've seen far too many pre-aged jackets that are over-done, or otherwise unconvincing - this looks spot on like a jacket that has been worn and enjoyed for a few years.

Last edited:

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I like the full action back on this build because of the functionality it gives to the design. It's my favorite feature of your jacket. To me it looks much better than with a plain back. I doubt I'd request any custom build without this feature.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I love the color and I think it works well with the aging. I i remember those orange suede vests from the 80´s suited me well and it looks like the same goes for this jacket. People have commented that I wear it well.

Aha! A rare photo that shows you from the chin up!
I dont want to put my face up on every pic, because my beauty would steal the focus from the jacket :D

Tony: Its nice to hear. I am starting to like the desgn more and your comment helps to easy my mind further.
The action part was always my favourite part of my harley jacket when I think about it.
I guess it was the color together with the full back that made me feel like those lizzard from V in their uniforms :D

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I just got my aged tan CR today, it is a very nice jacket. I went with zippered side pockets. Mine was not nearly as "aged" as your jacket, so I will have to get it there more on my own. It will come in handy when riding my bikes that is for sure. I really like the color and style. Went with a red lining. Very pleased with it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
DUDE!! you just gotta post a flood of pics :D Worn

Its very interesting that its not aged the same. I wonder why.
Its also very strange that I got mine before you, I remember you ordering yours first?
Maybe its because Im so good looking so she just slipped me infront of some people :D
Mine was made by Paula. Incredible workmanship.

The only thing I regret is not lining the arms with satin, the lining wants to come out from the arms when putting it on
because its so tight. I didnt want it in the first place because its gonna get sticky in the summer and I had some
thought about it not being as durable as the cotton drill.

Did you choose satin?

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Well the aging isn't all that different, but it looks like the person that did yours drank a carafe of coffee that morning :) Paula made mine too. I didn't do satin in the sleeves and the cotton does seem to stick to me a little bit, almost like there is a tad too much fabric. I wasnt in any big rush, so I didnt bug Amanda about the timing. She kindly offered free shipping anyway so that paid for the duty fees. I will try to post some pics later. Can't wait to wear it more, after an hour it has already softened up a fair amount..unlike FQHH! Collar is kind of tight so I hope that stretches a little too.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My collar was really tight so I soaked it in warm tapwater and stretched it on the sink back and forth.
(holding my hands on the very far ends of the collar, placing it on the round edge of the sink and put all my body weight behind it andreally stretched it by rubbing it up and down, also changing side after a while)
This is an old trick I use when working with leather and it did a small but comfortable difference for me.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Good tip, I will give it a try! Did you put warm water on the rest of the jacket? I am a little tempted to put a very thin coat of picard's on it just to speed up the softening process, but have held off so far.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
After wearing the Cheyenne for a while now since its snowing, the Caferacer felt very tight so I soaked the entire outer leather with medium water in the shower. Just zipping the jacket and all pockets and holding it in the shower and showering it with the shower head.

Then I wore it until dry.
This didnt make the jacket softer, but it helps to stretch it out, specially in the waist area.
Its a little bit more comfotable now expecially when wearing it open.
I dont think water is gonna make it softer.
I have parked the jacket in the sofa so everytime I sit or lie and watch a movie, I do it on the jacket.
I dont know if this will help make it softer, but it may.

I really like mine to be soft aswell, but putting conditioner on the jacket might make it so soft so the creases go away (or doesnt develop) so I dont know if I want that personally, but there should be no harm in trying.

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
FYI I've been doing this for years to break in heavy leather jackets: Tape off all zippers and hard wear so no chance of damage can occur. Put the jacket in the dryer with two very damp large bath towels for two hours on air dry W/no heat and this will soften up the leather and help bring out the character in the leather. P.S. check periodically for results and standards.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I got no dryer, but I could imagine testing it in the future. Not on my brown jacket, but maybe a black or tan one.
I have bad experiences with taping tho. The leather finish comes of the jacket along with the tape, so its a no-no for FQHH.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket, Griff! Just saw the newer pics you posted here and it looks GREAT!!
Your daughter is beautiful, bro... and she's growing nicely since the last time you posted a picture of you both. :)

All the very best to you, my friend.

Navin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy