Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aha! Got one.

Edward

Bartender
Ouch. Sounds well out of my budget.... I may well look into something less authentic - possibly along the lines of Magnoli's Wehrmacht leather trench, but customised to the tune of being in brown, with a fluffy collar and blanket lining. The Irvin is a higher priority for now, but in the future that might turn out at a more realistic price. If memory serves, the other week this came up in another thread and Cirrus in England do something along the lines of a WW1 flying jacket. Notg sure of authenticity, mind....

Yes, here it is:

Jacket736x250.jpg

They sell it for GBP899 (for comparison, an ELC or Aro Irvin runs about GBP500).

This 3/4 length coat is also available for GBP799:

6-b.jpg

I can't claim to comment on the accuracy of either as a WW1 period jacket, however I personally prefer the style of the second - just a shame they don't seem to do it in a longer length.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The "pilot's coat" which Cirrus offers (different from the one in your post Edward) appears to be an approximation of one or two of the Burberry styles of WWI period flying coat, although it's difficult to tell for certain due to the small images.

Here is a contemporary advertisement for a Burberry flying coat

burfron_gif.jpg

I have the history of 56 Sqn RFC/RAF which has a lot of photographs of their aircrew in flying coats, so I will try and scan a few images over the next day or so and post them. I think I may have mentioned in another thread that English flying coats were highly valued by Central Power airman, and I have a wonderful photo of a recently captured 56 Sqn airman standing in his coat with the German airman who shot him down and is wearing an English flyingcoat.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, sounds good.... got a photo of the Cirrus flying jacket you mention? I don't seem able to locate it on the site (probably me...).

Edward

Bartender
Ah, yes.... Thanks, Smithy - that's the version without the shearling, isn't it? Yeah, the images they have on the site aren't great, but then I guess their target market mustn't be the folks who are really concerned about ensuring historical accuracy to military patterns. [huh]

I'd love to see what ELC would do here, though I guess it is unlikely given that there's much less of a market for it than the WW2 era stuff, it seems to me - probably partly due to what folks happen to be interested in ,and partly due to the likely high price, given that for most a quality Irvin repro is a luxury not to be bought often.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Ah, yes.... Thanks, Smithy - that's the version without the shearling, isn't it?

It apparently has a full wool lining. By the sounds of it this may be similar to the "woollen blanket" style of lining which some Burberrys had - that's a good thing if it has.

Edward said:
I'd love to see what ELC would do here, though I guess it is unlikely given that there's much less of a market for it than the WW2 era stuff, it seems to me - probably partly due to what folks happen to be interested in ,and partly due to the likely high price, given that for most a quality Irvin repro is a luxury not to be bought often.

I'd imagine ELC or any of the high end military jacket repro makers would do a great job if they had the will and access to originals Edward, They would be a lot pricier than any WWII flying jacket though. You are right in that WWII is a more "popular" era, however that seems to have been changing a little bit over the last few years. There is a bit of a resurgence in interest in WWI aviation especially in the air show scene, and this will have more people exploring this era.

Although those damn photos are so small the Cirrus in brown leather seems to be not too, too far from WWI British examples.

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Although those damn photos are so small the Cirrus in brown leather seems to be not too, too far from WWI British examples.

I think it's reasonable against the ones I've seen in terms of pattern.... a bit on the dark side, though? Or is that just me?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Edward- "Wehrmacht Leather Coats"

Have a look at German eBay: www.ebay.de

Many, many, many of those "Wehrmacht Leather Coats" every week.

The style from the '30s was similar through to the '60s.
Most have a belt fastening, rather than buttons, though.
They are quite elaborate and can be found in Brown, Black and Green!

Look for "Ledermantel" in all categories, they are listed in antiques, clothing, collectibles, etc., so just pick through what you see under "all categories".
A nice one could go for anywhere from €25-€200.

Have a Gander.
But watch out to see what form of payment is required.

It may be that you don't need to make SUCH an investment.

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I think it's reasonable against the ones I've seen in terms of pattern.... a bit on the dark side, though? Or is that just me?

Could be slightly but that might be just the photos. Saying there was variation in the shade. I have a photo of R.T.C. Hoidge in a particularly dark Burberry.

Edward

Bartender
Smithy - that is the thing - with any natural material, some variation is inevitable, I guess...

Belly Tank - thanks, I'll check that out. I know what you mean re payment: the reason I've bought next to nothing from German eBay sellers is that so many will only take bank transfers. Got ripped off once - won't risk that again! I know what you mean re belt-fastening being common. Was there a reason for that - other than it just being a common style? I presume it was easier and much cheaper to produce than either zip or button fastening, but was there some other key to it - e.g. was there a specific celebrity at the time adopted that style, or was it considered more convenient?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Re: belt fastening...

Might just be easier on and off. Convenience
Unbuttoning/buttoning a long leather coat can be a little time consuming.
The particular belt-ing system used, is very functional- more than JUST a belt.

I have an older one of these, a bit far gone- a bit scaly- must despatch it.

B
T

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Excuse me for being off-topic but about the German Bay... If something costs 18,94 Euros would that be 18.94 euros or 1894 Euros?

I saw an Aero A2 there and that was the current bid. Seemed strange either way. But I suppose they could have put it for cheap knowing it'd get a good price in the end.

Edward

Bartender
Charlie, in continental Europe they use a ',' where we would use a '.' and vice versa.

Thurs eighteen Euros and ninety four Eurocents would be 18,94. 18.940, on the other hand, would signify eighteen thousand, nine hundred and forty Euros. Does seem a very low price for an Aero, but normally the way of things over this way is that stuff will sit forf next to nothing on eBay forever, then suddenly shoot up at the very last minute. Majority of things I've sold on eBay, and done quite well with, have not had a single bid prior to the final day of the auction.

dr greg

One Too Many
the good oil

If I could take the thread back a bit, I ran out of neatsfoot oil today while fixing up a couple of old Gladstone bags, and not wishing to drive into town, went into the shed and hunted up some linseed oil, pure industrial grade lanolin, and beeswax. Equal parts or thereabouts of each melted together makes a pretty good dressing, them bags just shone with it....I'll be making up some more for my coats and shoes directly.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
There is a beautiful McGregor suede leather car coat on a well known auction site, I know I can't post the link, but you may be able to search for it. It's a little large for me, but it would fit someone, say....a 44. ;) Wink wink.....

Steve

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
hunted up some linseed oil

And one of the best smells in the world Dr Greg and the very best thing for a good slab of willow. Hell I miss cricket :eek:

Also apologies for hijacking the thread with all that WWI flying coat carry on DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore