Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHOY THERE!! Who likes the vintage nautical sailing cap style?

fishmeok

Vendor
I'm partial to the vintage Bancroft USN/USCG petty officer hats- no scrambled eggs or insignia (I'm not comfortable wearing signs of rank I didn't earn) and a normal sized cover. The older hats have a wicker headband support while the newer ones use plastic. Any number of them on the 'bay most of the time.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN1143.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
That's a nice cap Paddy. I have a similar 1930s one but cloth peak. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm on the look out for a replacement, but most of the modern ones I come across are very poor quality and not cut right - sort of the nautical-hat equivalent of a Cooper A2 (or worse). Yours looks pretty good though.....

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
I'm partial to the vintage Bancroft USN/USCG petty officer hats- no scrambled eggs or insignia (I'm not comfortable wearing signs of rank I didn't earn) and a normal sized cover. The older hats have a wicker headband support while the newer ones use plastic. Any number of them on the 'bay most of the time.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN1143.jpg
Mark, that's a good looking option. Is the bill stiff or flexible, like a crusher?

Off topic, nice Bonneville! And continuing off topic, what is that little bit of pickup heaven going on behind you there?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well Douglas you sure are a lucky fellow when you hunt down some of theses great hats you shocase.

I've found several hats out there that are the white captains cruiser cap but they are usually of cheap construction and have that cheap shiny bill and the life preserver or anchors sewn on the front.
It would be great to find one like the Lancaster made Crusher Cap quality. Soft leather bill with a matte finish & no scrambled eggs or insignia. I suppose I'll keep an eye out for the older navy petty officers cap.

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DJ, I like doing the leg work trying to find these hats. For me that is the fun part.
The plain petty officer caps are getting harder to find than the higher ranks.
Good luck buddy.
This though is one of my top five favorite FL pictures.
CrusherSail008.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Mojave Jack said:
Mark, that's a good looking option. Is the bill stiff or flexible, like a crusher?

Off topic, nice Bonneville! And continuing off topic, what is that little bit of pickup heaven going on behind you there?

As far as I know, there has not been a true "crusher" style peaked hat made since WW2. Even the repros have a stiff brim, and most of them have that "South American Dictator" look going on. The USN style hats all have a stiff brim and headband. They look pretty good with the stiffening gromit removed from the crown, allowing it to flop down. I have examples of true USAAF flight caps from the '40's and the quality is amazing compared with modern peaked hats. Even the regular USN/USAAF/US Army service peaked hats from the '40's are worlds better than modern examples.

The pic was taken at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St. Paul during the all GM car show- that's pickup row back behind me...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy