Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer advice.

Paladin111

New in Town
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post.
Well, I am thinking of buying a DM Akubra Adventurer as my first "serious" hat, and I would appreciate any advice on this purchase. Specifically any information on sizing.
I am a spot on size 61, or 7 5/8, and I was just wondering if these hats run true to size? Any and all advice is welcome and I thank you in advance for any pearls of wisdom you might cast my way.

tommyK

One Too Many
Others will tell you to order a size up as with the similar Federation IV. I followed this advice and was sorry. It was too big and stayed too big. I ordered another my proper size, it was perfect! I'm a spot on 61 as well, order your size.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I thought about buying an Adventurer myself. A couple minor modifications to the brim, change out the ribbon, and you would have a pretty decent Indy fedora.

Eric P

Familiar Face
When I bought my Adventurer from DM, I ordered my size and it came a little big. However with wear it settled in to th perfect size for me. The only thing I changed on mine is the dimensional brim, I trimmed it down to a non-dimensional.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Got my DM Adventurer Dec. 2011.I'm a 23"and the 59cm is a pretty good fit.This was my first fur felt fedora.But it seems you can't have just one.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've bought 3 akubras new and got one used... one thing I can say is that their sizing runs a tad big so that there's a little room to shrink. Basically, I'm an exact 56, and ordered each in 56. The new hats had a little room and I used a sizing pad for a few months before the hats fit perfectly.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
FWIW - the sizing on my new Akubra Campdraft was accurate and the fit gets better and better the more I wear it. Good luck!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I'm with the others. Best bet is to order your normal size. I wear a 58 and ordered a 58 DM Adventurer, which fit very well. Though I've found there's some variation among Akubra hats of the same labeled size, I made the mistake of ordering a 59 once and had to go through all kinds of efforts to get it to fit half-way decently. Lesson learned!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm between sizes so nothing I get ever get fits me properly. It's either too big or too tight. Which is why I'll probably be getting rid of most of the hats I have.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They fit true to size. Nice hat I thought when I tried it a few weeks back but it's Indy vibe puts me off, not a look I would want to cultivate.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I ordered my Adventurer!
I'll post pics when it gets here.

Paladin111, I hope you like yours. As someone suggested above, I did change the ribbon on mine (to a darker color)and blocked it into a nice "Raiders"-style Indy fedora. It's fun to wear! But you should shape our open-crown into whatever suits you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy