Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer Alliance

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ran across this hat on the Optimo website. I'd love to get my Adventurer bashed into something like this:

safarifed.jpg

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:

007, no question, these all have a bit of 'give'. More so even than my reg. Federation w/ the 'Imperial' felt... far better sweatband too in the 'Heritage' felt line, both of which bode well if you plan to give this a bit of a stretch. If you haven't yet invested in a small stretcher, it might be justified now... I am, myself, either a 59 or 60, depending... & my 59 fit as though it were made for me.

Good news, thanks, Rick! I do have a stretcher, if necessary.

Rick Blaine said:
[:eek:fftopic: - where are you in AB.? My wife is a 3rd generation Calgarian (her G'pa was at the 1st Stampede! All grew up in Bridgeland.) & if I had my druthers, I'd be north of the 48th!!! I absolutely love Alberta, I am homesick for it now. In fact here are three pins that are soon to be on three of my vintage fedoras ;

The 3rd one is my fav :D .... we now return your your regularly scheduled "Akubra Adventurer Alliance" thread...

Excellent. I'm in the Red Deer area. I always liked Calgary and lived there for about a year a while back. It's a nice city. They were busy widening 16th Ave last time I was down there. Knocked down a lot of old stores and houses to do it. Progress, I guess. Peter's Drive-in is still there and as busy as ever. Burgers and shakes are still as good. Alberta is a great province, I'm not surprised you miss it. Wish we could import the Second Amendment and it would be perfect! :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Better Late Than Never!

Well, I can finally post mine.

Actually, this is the second one. My first one arrived the Friday before Labor Day weekend, but sadly had an untimely demise before I could get to it. I was rather devestated as I'd been wanting an Adventurer but was waiting until I got a job to justify it to my wife. But, as Colby Jack noted, Besdor did get some for his stores. I contacted him, and he still had one left in my size. Steven, a big THANK YOU!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It's as nice as everyone says. I'll probably modify the crease a bit, but here it is out of the box:

AkubraAdventurerFront.jpg

AkubraAdventurerSide.jpg

I like it. :D

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

As I feel somewhat responsible for the rash (small though it may be) of "Adventurer" wearers I thought I had better post mine. Please forgive the lousy quality of the snap, I do not yet have the self-portrait skills of a Douglas, please forgive also my ugly mug, I am afraid it doesn't get any better either! [huh]
Adventurer.jpg

007 said:
...I'm in the Red Deer area. I always liked Calgary and lived there for about a year a while back. It's a nice city. They were busy widening 16th Ave last time I was down there. Knocked down a lot of old stores and houses to do it. Progress, I guess. Peter's Drive-in is still there and as busy as ever. Burgers and shakes are still as good.

Boy oh boy, Peter's is always on our list when were up that'a way!

007 said:
Alberta is a great province, I'm not surprised you miss it. Wish we could import the Second Amendment and it would be perfect! :D

You sound just like my Father-in-Law! lol I am sure he may have 'forgotten' to turn in some of his gats when the law came into effect :D ...I am sure his basement looks like a "guns & ammo" centerfold. :eek: They DO say AB. is the most "USA" like of the provinces... I love it all the same! :p

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Rick....ya look like the actor Jean Reno!...
The hat looks great on you and Tango Yankee!:eusa_clap
I wonder if Besdor has any left?
CJ

Alsooooo...
Adventurer question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you that got the adventurer...what would you say it reminds you of?...What other Akubra is similar in it's texture...what about a vintage hat...is it softer in comparison?....
Thanks
CJ

Rick Blaine

Colby Jack said:
Rick....ya look like the actor Jean Reno!...

Yeah, I get that alot... I feel sorry for the poor b'tard if'n he has to walk around w/ this mug!lol

Dinerman said:
Yay! Curling pin!

Yea! Tell it brother, real men play with brooms!

Colby Jack said:
Alsooooo...
Adventurer question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you that got the adventurer...what would you say it reminds you of?...What other Akubra is similar in it's texture...what about a vintage hat...is it softer in comparison?....
Thanks
CJ

I have a couple of dozen vintage & only two other Akubras. The Adventurer reminds me most of my Lee waterbloc 10 shown here....
Lee_H20_block_10-1.jpg

It has the same softness, comfort and wide brim...though, sadly, no Cav. edge...

Rick Blaine

jimmy the lid said:
I'll second that. That Lee is really nice! Good to see ya, Rick...
Colby Jack said:
That Lee is gorgeous!...

Thanks fellas, good to be seen, I reckon...Yeah that Lee was a hell of a deal, I got it for less than $3.00 as a 'buy it now' mislisted under 'western/cowboy'
Lee_H20_block_10.jpg

(auction photo)
a few months back.
New and just as nice as it looks, sewn in liner
Lee_liner.jpg

& a 7 3/8 no less! It had the retailer's price tag ($10.20, inflation, ya' know) under a wide thin & supple butter soft sweatband. It has the thinest most subtle Cav edge I have ever seen, too. If that was the Lee 10, I'd kill for a Lee 25, 50 or 100!

Here is a clearer image of the Adventurer itself that I hope shows the mods I was attempting.

alteredadventurer.jpg

I tried to 'teardrop' the crown & considerably tighten up the pinch. I would like to give the brim a 1/4" trim all 'round, someday when I finally drop fifty bucks for a proper brim trimmer. :eek:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Very cool mod!...I just don't have a heart to mess with my Adventurer yet...it's so comfy and soft...I just plunk it on my head and go...:D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
Yeah that Lee was a hell of a deal, I got it for less than $3.00 as a 'buy it now' mislisted under 'western/cowboy'

$3.00 for that Lee -- unbelievable! Great story. Nicely done!!! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo