Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer Alliance

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No, I don't own one, I was just mentioning that my Federation IV assumed a similar appearance, in some way. I know the brim widths and crown heights, as well as taper to begin with, are different. The Adventurer looks nice, but I'm afraid the brim width, would be too wide for me. Which brings me to my next point, is this hat more of a fedora or Australian outback style?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, I don't own one, I was just mentioning that my Federation IV assumed a similar appearance, in some way. I know the brim widths and crown heights, as well as taper to begin with, are different. The Adventurer looks nice, but I'm afraid the brim width, would be too wide for me. Which brings me to my next point, is this hat more of a fedora or Australian outback style?

Looks to me more like a fedora for sure. I do like the brim width, and if you had one, was going to ask you what the Adventurer crown height is. I deliberately avoid Indie lookalike hats like the Fed because I don't want the high-crown look for me. If Adventurer has a lower crown, I'd consider it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I know what you mean. I'm not sure if a particularly high crown is right on me. I'm pretty lucky to have been able to coax my Fed IV into a lower crown, actually. It was mainly because of rainfall though, lots of rain over time did the job of slightly shrinking the crown (I think), and adding some taper. I think it looks just right on me now, although I'm not sure I like a dimensional brim in theory, does the Adventurer have that?

P.S. I actually bought the Fed IV in part because of Indiana Jones, to achieve that look you know. But I do wear it as a non-Indy hat, just a brown fedora, if I'm not wearing a leather jacket or khaki pants (I mostly wear jeans). That's the way I sort of see it. I don't think the Fed IV, even if dark brown, has to be an Indiana Jones hat, strictly speaking. There's room enough to make it work without being too Indy or old-time adventurer looking in it. Wearing it with a suit or sport coat for example, carries a different kind of vibe with this hat.

Last edited:

Tone

A-List Customer
westwilbanksdayton08jy8.jpg

Not sure if this gentleman is here anymore or not, but...
long time fan since the creation of the DM Akubra Adventurer. Had never seen this picture before. Great-looking hat!
As for whether or not this hat is more of a fedora than an Australian Outback style; think of it as more of an Australian Model Fedora.

And no, despite many attempts to pin the Akubra Adventurer as the same hat as a Federation III or IV, it has always been on a complete and separate block from either of those.

Last edited:

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Hello, may I respectfully submit my application to join the Triple A's? Below are photos of my Adventurer out of the box.

This is by far my widest brim so I'm a little worried about wearing it out. I think the 'swoop' is a bit much - interested in some feedback and advice on how to safely flatten out the brim without it looking dumb.

Untitled by boydg2, on Flickr

Untitled by boydg2, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo