Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer: shrink to fit?

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
OK, I'm about 98% sure I'll be getting an Akubra Adventurer. I would like to hear from those who have Akubras about how they fit when how and how they settled in or shrunk to fit.

Should I order my size (7 1/4 - 58 cm) or go one larger and expect the shrink?

Thanks.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All the retailers and many users seem to feel that you go with your hat size. Don't order larger or you're most likely going to have to send it back and incur shipping charges three times instead of once (original delivered, original returned, replacement delivered).

kiltie

Practically Family
Mine's ready for adventure...

I ordered 7 1/4 and it was ready to roll, out of the box and onto my head. Oddly, I got a Squatter at the same time and I had to take that one out behind the woodshed. I'd been hearing the Akubras ran big, but I had to sleep with that thing on my head for a week to get it right. I hope your Adventurer experience is as good as mine... it's a pretty neat hat.

DblCoronaMS said:
OK, I'm about 98% sure I'll be getting an Akubra Adventurer. I would like to hear from those who have Akubras about how they fit when how and how they settled in or shrunk to fit. Should I order my size (7 1/4 - 58 cm) or go one larger and expect the shrink? Thanks.
If it is a little large they talk about wetting the sweat band and placing it over a regular light bub to get the heat to dry and shrink the hat.
Also some will simply put a little felt from a fabric store behind the sweat band to tighten it up. After all the talk of Akubras running a little large the 2 I got were a little tight and I had to stretch em a bit, but just a bit.

Edward

Bartender
Anders said:
Ordering my size, my Federation was loose when purchased, but molded wonderfully to my head within a week.

This has been my experience with both my Fed Deluxe and the regular Fed I got for Christmas.

K

Kaosharper1

Adventurer Came a little Large

My Adventurer came a little large, but David Morgan supplied pads. It hasn't shrunk much so far, but its also winter so I haven't been sweating much. I wouldn't order a larger size.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, I found wearing mine round the house in the evenings helped a lot. They also seemed to fit better from the off as soon as they were bashed.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Talk to Deb

I ordered my Federation Deluxe from Hats Direct (http://www.hatsdirect.com/). I was a little unsure of the actual size I should order, so I corresponded with Deb.

I measured about a 59 but I have a Boralino in 60 that fits perfectly. She measured the hats in the inventory and found a 59 that measured a little large, about 59.4. She said that would shrink right down to what I need.

Bottom line, work with the vendor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran