Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Banjo Paterson or Angler?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I'm torn between ordering a Banjo Paterson in charcoal or an Angler.

Pics or suggestions would help.

I had an Angler a few years ago, but splashed some chemicals on it and ruined it. I kind of lean toward another, but the Banjo keeps calling me too.

HELP!

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
IMG_5926.JPG IMG_5927.JPG

Adventurer.

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Banjos and I get numerous compliments on the graphite grey hat. I like the loden offering for the Angler but I would have to remove the shark tooth on the band. Also I find being in the northern latitudes I prefer to not have the eyelets for early spring and late fall and winter wear. I also prefer the slightly narrower brim on the Banjo. Having said that I do not think you can go wrong with either. You will pay a premium for the Heritage grade felt.

,,,Mike in Canada

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Banjos and I get numerous compliments on the graphite grey hat. I like the loden offering for the Angler but I would have to remove the shark tooth on the band. Also I find being in the northern latitudes I prefer to not have the eyelets for early spring and late fall and winter wear. I also prefer the slightly narrower brim on the Banjo. Having said that I do not think you can go wrong with either. You will pay a premium for the Heritage grade felt.

,,,Mike in Canada

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I have an Angler. I go back and forth on whether I should have gotten something else depending on how I feel on any given day about the Angler’s brim being turned up a bit on the sides. I would have gone for a Banjo except I'm not crazy about regency fawn and at the time I wasn't looking for something as dark a the charcoal/graphite gray Banjo. I subsequently was able to try on a gray Banjo and it’s a great looking hat.

The Angler is a great hat, though. A bit more casual than the Banjo, in my opinion. The shark tooth is not even really recognizable as a shark tooth. It just looks like a small adornment on the band, not something out of Crocodile Dundee. If you're in the U.S., David Morgan sells the Angler with a barramundi band like the one on the Banjo. I opted against that since it was actually cheaper to get the hat shipped from Oz, and I figured that if I ever got a Banjo I wouldn't want two hats with the same band.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I have both and generally wear both. I've received compliments on both of them. Only reason I tend to wear the Angler a little more is because I do like the slightly wider brim. Can't go wrong with either.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Not really but I do notice when I'm in the car. I can sit in the car wearing the Banjo but the Angler hits the headrest so I have to remove it when driving. I'd recommend picking the one with the color that suits you best. If you're like the rest of us you'll probably end up with the other one at some point as well :)

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Forgot to mention... Might be the most expensive option especially if you were planning on ordering from an Australian company but consider the Lightning Ridge as well. It's essentially the Banjo with the brim of the Angler. Also Heritage collection like the Banjo. All comes down to what colors and brim widths you prefer. Probably the main reason I wear the Angler more is because I think it goes best with the coat I wear the most.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Add the Lawson into the mix as well. Heritage felt, same crown as the Banjo, 3" brim, braided leather band.

FWIW - I've found the Heritage felt to withstand repeated exposure to the elements MUCH better than the Imperial felt.

jkingrph

Practically Family
My first good hats, non western, were a couple of the Banjo Patterson's. I like the Heritage Fawn much more than the grey, mine seems more a charcoal, almost black, so it gets little use.

Reading these descriptions makes me want an angler and lightning ridge also,

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
My first good hats, non western, were a couple of the Banjo Patterson's. I like the Heritage Fawn much more than the grey, mine seems more a charcoal, almost black, so it gets little use.

I also have both Heritage Fawn & the grey. Like you I love the heritage fawn color and the grey barely gets any use. I figure there will be a day when I'll need it to match with something I'm wearing and I prefer to have it until I need it rather than need it one day and not have it :)

D.C.

New in Town
I recently ordered an Angler in Regency fawn from Hats by the Hundred in Australia and was wondering if anyone in the USA has had to pay additional customs when it arrives? This will be my first international purchase and I'm just not sure how often additional customs accure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ