Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra "Bobby" western hat

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Looking at this... as I've been trying to get a reliable western hat and I love my Campdraft.

I'd like a hat kinda like this one:

robert-mitchum-cowboy.jpg

Vintage westerns in 7 3/4? Good luck! Modern, late model stetsons? Meh, they bore me.... And since I like the Campdraft so much I thought this is of interest....

Any thoughts?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Getting back to the original question... Mr. 'H', if you like the look of the Bobby, go for it! We all know how well-made Akubras are, and if you want to try one of their western styles, I say give it a shot!

Why is everybody suggesting the Campdraft - which he already has and wants something different this time - or modifying the Cattleman - which seems like a lot of work considering that Akubra offers several nice looking American western styles?

Anyway, I'd certainly be curious to hear how Akubra's western hats stack up against current Stetsons and Resistols...

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm sure you could make the Bobby work. It looks to me like Akubra has a pretty wide selection of hats that might fit the bill. I looked around for one that has a raw edge, like the hat in the pic, and maybe the Kiandra would also work? Or the Silver Spur?

Like Dr. Strange, I'd also be curious as to how their westerns stack up.

donnc

One of the Regulars
It will need a reasonably stiff brim, right? To stay in that curl.

If it were me, given that in any case the hat will need to be reshaped if it's to look like that, I would indeed go for an old previously owned western. That's easy for me to say, in the US where western hats are more abundant (even in 7 3/4.) I have bought a couple and worked them over, but have only let the curl out a little, never tried more curl. The good news is, western hats usually have plenty stiff brims.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap

Yes, exactly - I have a Campdraft already and love it for what it IS: a fedora version of a western hat - like the original Open Road.

I am looking to get a "cowboy" hat like Mitchum is wearing in that movie picture.

Doctor Strange said:
Getting back to the original question... Mr. 'H', if you like the look of the Bobby, go for it! We all know how well-made Akubras are, and if you want to try one of their western styles, I say give it a shot!

Why is everybody suggesting the Campdraft - which he already has and wants something different this time - or modifying the Cattleman - which seems like a lot of work considering that Akubra offers several nice looking American western styles?

Anyway, I'd certainly be curious to hear how Akubra's western hats stack up against current Stetsons and Resistols...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Here is the "Bobby" and here is Mitchum's hat. If I could get a more curled brim and a tigher pich up front I'd be winning I think....

clockwise: Mitchum as a "modern day" cowboy; the Akubra "Bobby"; me and my Campdraft

robert-mitchum-cowboy.jpg
AkubraBobby.jpg
fb5b12e5.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For that look, I think maybe you should consider one of the Akubras with a teardrop-ish crease and upturned sides, like the Kiandra or Snowy River. My Stockman, though it has a little smaller brim, has that fedora/western-outback hybrid look (at least from some angles) because of its teardrop-with-front-dents crown. It approaches the appearance of the hat that Paul Newman wears in Butch Cassidy - a smaller-brimmed teardrop western with less crown than Mitchum's hat.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Here's a couple of western styled Akubras. The light colored hat is a Cattleman with a tighter pinch and curled brim. This style was popular in the 1950's & 60's. You'll see it on Chuck Connors in The Rifleman, Clint Eastwood in Rawhide, and William Holden in several films including The Wild Bunch. The dark hat is a Bobby that I recreased to more of a fedora type crown. This is a style that was popular in the early 20th century. As far as Akubra's quality compared to the modern Stetsons and Resistols? There simply is no comparison. Akubra's materials and construction are far superior and usually available for less than $150 including shipping. To get a quality American made felt cowboy hat you need to go to a custom hat maker and expect to pay $350 plus.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2136copy.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:

If anyone had clicked the link to Australia Direct that I suggested, they would have seen a one off Cattleman , size 7-3/4,....for $50! Add $25 or so for shipping, and that would be a fine Akubra for about 1/2 retail. Gone now though, I'm afraid. :(
Sorry, just trying to get somebody a deal,...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
If anyone had clicked the link to Australia Direct that I suggested, they would have seen a one off Cattleman , size 7-3/4,....for $50! Add $25 or so for shipping, and that would be a fine Akubra for about 1/2 retail. Gone now though, I'm afraid. :(
Sorry, just trying to get somebody a deal,...

Yes, I saw that, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Havana: you, sir, are a legend! Your post has given me all the information I was after, all rolled up into one informative post. :eusa_clap

So, that's what the Bobby looks like in person. Say, did you replace the ribbon? I love the way you wear it.

Havana said:
Here's a couple of western styled Akubras. The light colored hat is a Cattleman with a tighter pinch and curled brim. This style was popular in the 1950's & 60's. You'll see it on Chuck Connors in The Rifleman, Clint Eastwood in Rawhide, and William Holden in several films including The Wild Bunch. The dark hat is a Bobby that I recreased to more of a fedora type crown. This is a style that was popular in the early 20th century. As far as Akubra's quality compared to the modern Stetsons and Resistols? There simply is no comparison. Akubra's materials and construction are far superior and usually available for less than $150 including shipping. To get a quality American made felt cowboy hat you need to go to a custom hat maker and expect to pay $350 plus.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2136copy.jpg

Havana

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your kind words. I did replace the original hat band with a wide grosgrain ribbon & bow. I did that to get the period look I was going for. I reshaped the crown but left the brim alone. This was a popular hat. I got so many positive comments on it. Someone offered me nearly double what I paid for it so I sold it a while back. I figured I could just buy another one if I wanted while pocketing the profit. I do miss it.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Got an order in with Hatdirect for a gray Campdraft but they are saying that the Bobby is special order and would take 60 - 90 days.

I've been in touch with Everything Australian and he's checking if Akubra have the Bobby in stock in a 62.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24