Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The Silverbelly Imperial Campdraft got here and it's in use.

I appreciate all of the input, guys. I'm glad I went with the Imperial. It really reminds me of the weight of my vintage Open Roads.

Stinky, thanks for the comparison comments. They helped a lot.

This is my third Camp Draft and I have to say, I like each of them, but I've been wanting the SB for around here a lot.

Still hoping to get to Katoomba to go to the Hattery and ride the incline railway!

Thanks again,
Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I chickened out on the diamond crease and went back with a c-crown, as I have done on my other two CDs, by Squatters and my Bushman.

I don't know why ... it must have something to do with the shape of my head ... but a diamond crease always seems to end up too low in the back.

They look good on others, but when I try it ... I just don't like the outcome.

I might try it on my orginal Whippet. With it's higher crown it might just work.

Sam

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
My new Campdraft Deluxe

March102012HatJerryAuction005.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction004.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction020.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction019.jpg

I started out with center dent and soft dents at the front pinch. I am very pleased with the quality of the felt and the sweat band.

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
I have owned several different vintage ORs and currently have 3 to compare. I would say the felt is more comparable to my 25 OR (as in heavy) and the finish is very smooth. This hat felt comfortable the moment I put it on and only got better as I have worn it all day.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks. That is great to hear. I currently have 6 or 7 old Open Roads and love the feel of the old felt. I can't understand why Stetson makes the new Open Roads so stiff. If they would go back to a soft open crown I bet they would sell like hot cakes.

Gromulus

Practically Family
March102012HatJerryAuction005.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction004.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction020.jpg
March102012HatJerryAuction019.jpg

I started out with center dent and soft dents at the front pinch. I am very pleased with the quality of the felt and the sweat band.

I have two Silverbelly Campdrafts (Imperial and Heritage) and while the color is usually very hard to capture, your photos are some of the best I have seen regarding felt color.

Every Akubra lover (and hat lover in general) should have one of these.

Enjoy!

Landman

One Too Many
New Akubra Silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe

I made a similar post as what follows on the Akubra Overload thread but thought I'd post it here also to get the opinions of the followers on this thread.

I received my new Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft Deluxe today and the hat is beautiful. The customer service was great and the shipping time wasn't too bad. It took exactly 10 days from Australia to Texas.

Unfortunately, the bad news is, it is way too big. I took it out of the box and put it on briefly just like it came with the open crown and it dropped down over my ears. I sure thought the 60 would be the right size because in a Stetson Open Road the 7 3/8 is usually a little tight and a 7 1/2 is usually a tad too big but works fine and tends to shrink down a little over time.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. I don't want to steam it and bash the crown to see if it will fit better because I think it will still be too big. What are your thoughts on that? How much does a Campdraft shrink over time or after a steaming?

I also hate to have to airmail it back to Australia. I think I'm just going to order another one in size 59 and maybe list this one for sale or maybe trade.

I really wish it fit because it is a fantastic looking hat. At least now I know for sure what size Akubra to order in the future. Thanks for all your help.

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
I purchased my first Akubra Imperial grade Campdraft last year about this time. I am also a size 7-3/8, however not all hats of the same size seem to fit me the same. I ordered a 59 and put it to the test. I soaked it with distilled water and bashed it, steamed it, wore it through all kinds of weather and rain. During a rainy day I set the hat outside on a post and let it get soaked by the rain. These hats are tough and I had been told the best way to season or break them in was by getting them wet several times. I was not trying to destroy the hat or disprove the advise I had been given. After drying and steaming several times this hat is the same size as when it came out of the box. I know other people have advised to buy one size larger but based on my experience with my fist CD I decided to stay with the 59 for the Deluxe CD. I love the vintage Open Roads but I have only aquired 1 that was a 7-3/8 that truly fit the way I like. Not knowing how the vintage hats have spent their lives or what they have been exposed to it seems that they really do shrink as the leather dries out and the felt they are sewn to moves. Just maybe ...may I speculate... that the warmth of the head and the oils from the brow and hair compliment the leather sweat ban and each hat needs to be "worn in".

Landman

One Too Many
Have you used the sizing strips that came in the box. There is a small strip of sizing that comes in every Akubra box that helps you get the sizing just right. Try this out.

I haven't tried them just because I prefer not to use them. My experience with similar type strips in the past is that they seem to distort the sweatband. Also, this hat seems so big I think it probably wouldn't help. I really don't want to do anything to affect the hat until I decide for sure what I want to do. I may just keep it until the 59 gets here then see which one is the best fit and sell the other. It is a beautiful hat and I have no complaints about Akubra or Hatsdirect. This is just one of the pitfalls of being between sizes and buying a hat without being able to try it on first.

Landman

One Too Many
JT,

My experiences with vintage Open Roads is very similar. Everyone seems different but the sweatbands all seemed to shrink a little with time and wear. That is why I was curious if the Campdraft might do the same.

Landman

One Too Many
I wear a 59 an used the strips to get mine to fit.
I was one of the first to get the CD deluxe. It now
fits perfectly.

Hatter,

I think I'm probably going to give it a try. It's driving me crazy looking at it....I want it to fit so bad!

In case you or anybody else is interested, below is a link to some cotton liners I've used before. I've never tried them in a felt hat but they look like they may work well. I think I still have a few laying around somewhere.Thanks again for everybody's help.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/vhs_hat_sizer_white_jersey.html

Edward

Bartender
Mine is not yet the perfect fit, but like my Federations it is slowly snugging up and conforming to my head the more I wear it.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I'd order a 59 and see how it fits. All of my Akubra's have shrunk a little, including my CD Silver Belly Deluxe. If the 59 fits better, and I'm sure it will, sell the 60. I'm betting you'll be able to get pretty close to what you've got into it from a fellow Akubra lover who understands how much it costs to get one here from Oz. Just don't do anything to it that would make it any condition other than NIB.

FYI - My "standard" hat size is between 7-1/4 & 7-3/8. The Akubra 59 is a little loose - too loose to wear if there's a breeze. So, once I get them bashed, I remove the liner and soak them with distilled water and let them air dry. This is usually enough to get them to shrink down to the right size for my head. I've had a couple that required a second soak. I've discovered the soaking also seams to soften the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ