Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Open Road Clones

Here is a picture of my Dobbs Westward which we think is late 1940's to early 1950's production on the left. On the right is a 2008 Akubra Campdraft. Both are great hats, but the Dobbs furfelt is just deliciously soft.

THe Akubra seems to have a bit of a higher crown.

campdraftwestward003.jpg

Thanks!

In the Open Road Guild thread you'll see how much the Open Roads and their clones are loved. The variations make it possible to build a serious collection of really dapper yet rugged outdoorsy hats for (as the phrase went) "manly men doing manly things."

The Dobbs has an aura for me of richness won with blood, sweat and tears.

The Akubra has the aura of still in the bleeding, sweating and crying with hard work winning my fortune mode.

Owning a number of hats is like owning a fine set of golf clubs, each club works really well in certain situations, as do my hats.

hatted

One of the Regulars
jpbales said:
Has anybody ever thought about a black campdraft? I was wearing my Campdraft a couple weeks ago and my fiancee said that she wished I had a black cowboy hat. I'm no cowboy and the Campdraft is as country of a hat as I have. But I was just wishing that they had a black campdraft available. It reminds me of the movie "Apaloosa" where Ed Harris' character wears a black open-road-like cowboy hat. It has a much wider brim than the campdraft of course, and the crown higher, but it looked cool with the center dent and thin ribbon, and not too cowboy. I bet they would special order one, but then I'd have to wait three months (and I'm poor as heck too!).
appaloosa_movie_image_viggo_mortensen__1_.jpg

I ordered a black campdraft about a month ago from Nungar Trading Company. It is a 3-month special order, so I'm waiting...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Here is a picture of my Dobbs Westward which we think is late 1940's to early 1950's production on the left. On the right is a 2008 Akubra Campdraft. Both are great hats, but the Dobbs furfelt is just deliciously soft.

THe Akubra seems to have a bit of a higher crown.

campdraftwestward003.jpg

Love the Dobbs Westward John. I intend to add one to my stash of ORs and clones as I can. I agree about the CD. Nice hat.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Totally agree. You just need a Glen Grey to add to that Corral of Campdrafts! You are true soldier of the Campdraft Confederacy...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ONE OF EVERY COLOR! :D

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Dundee, I join everyone else in complimenting you on your stellar collection of Campdrafts and I'd also like to add that the hat in your avatar is a real beaut!! I love the curve of the brim.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
CRH said:
Well maybe not one of EVERY color.:eek:
Oh, come on! Where's your sense of adventure? You don't want an Airy Fairy Campdraft?!? lol

(Truth be told, I can't see buying one, either, but I'd like to see one.)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
Oh, come on! Where's your sense of adventure? You don't want an Airy Fairy Campdraft?!? lol

(Truth be told, I can't see buying one, either, but I'd like to see one.)

lol

Once I find that Zebra striped shirt I'll special order an Airy Fairy to match!

jpbales

Practically Family
cool

You'll have to post pics when it comes. I bet it'll look great.
Jimmy

hatted said:
I ordered a black campdraft about a month ago from Nungar Trading Company. It is a 3-month special order, so I'm waiting...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtd, is there any word on the moonstone Camp Drafts HD was going to consider. I see on another thread they are offering a blue Stylemaster....

Mr. Paladin said:
gtd, is there any word on the moonstone Camp Drafts HD was going to consider. I see on another thread they are offering a blue Stylemaster....
Last I heard, they were still not offering it but considering interest. All I can say is keep asking like the Glen Grey initiative & see if it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland