Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well yes, since a Strat is really a lightweight Open Road with a different brim flange to it. I have a late 1940's Stratoliner with a 2 3/4" brim that is the same dimensions of a same era Open Road. The felt is much lighter & the brim is cupped a great deal more due to the flange.

I guess since the Strat came out in the early 1940's & this configuration of the OR came out in the late 1940's that the Open Road/Campdraft is a "scaled up" Stratoliner....

This is good to know.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I haven't ordered a new hat in a long time, but Everything Australian has the Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green and in my size...in stock. It will be my third Camp Draft but I think it's a great hat.

Neophyte

I think I'm going to order a Campdraft in Glen Grey soon. I like the blue hint the Akubra greys seem to have, now I've got to decide between Carbon Grey, Mid-grey or Glen Grey.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think I'm going to order a Campdraft in Glen Grey soon. I like the blue hint the Akubra greys seem to have, now I've got to decide between Carbon Grey, Mid-grey or Glen Grey.

Where are you going to order it from? I see only one OZ retailer still listing a Grey as available. The factory is not listing any Greys , just Mid-Brown, Silverbelly, and Taupe Fawn. I like Akubra's Greys for sure.

Neophyte

If I decide to order the Glen Grey Campdraft, it will be from HatsDirect. If I decide to go with a Carbon Grey offering, it will be either the Squatter or Federation IV from HatsDirect. If I decide to go MidGrey, I may get the Cattleman from DavidMorgan...although I'm still tempted by the black Pilbara.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If I decide to order the Glen Grey Campdraft, it will be from HatsDirect. If I decide to go with a Carbon Grey offering, it will be either the Squatter or Federation IV from HatsDirect. If I decide to go MidGrey, I may get the Cattleman from DavidMorgan...although I'm still tempted by the black Pilbara.

I vote for the Cattleman as you need at least ONE Dinkum Aussie style Akubra ! I sure like my Cattleman :)

My 2 favorite Akubra colors are the Glen Grey & the Moonstone. If the Campdraft was offered in Moonstone, I'd be all over it.
I tried to get a movement going for the Moonstone but it never too off like the Heritage Silverbelly did.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Received my silverbelly & Taupe fawn yesterday. I was a litte worried when I saw the box. The thing looked like it had been through a war zone. The box was slightly smashed with a hole on one side and corner had torn open.
The fawn had a small ding in the crown that popped right out, but overall, I was surprised to find both hats managed to survive the postal attack that was launched against them.
These two Campdrafts are the first I've owned and I am very pleased with them. I really wished I had order the CD sooner.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I just placed an order with The Hattery for a pair of Camp Drafts - a Glen Gray and a Mid-Brown. The gray is in stock. The brown should arrive in November. I think that covers the available colors for the Camp Draft - currently in my stable are the Bluegrass Green and Taupe Fawn in Imperial grade, and a Silverbelly in Heritage grade. The gray and brown should complete the set.

Now I gotta figure out where I'm gonna to put 'em.

DarthBish

Familiar Face
Saw the movie 'Cowboys & Aliens' and was rather taken with the bash in Harrison Ford's hat..

So much so that I treid to emulate it on my Campdraft
299636_10150271451137218_586302217_7910854_7799826_n.jpg

302317_10150271450797218_586302217_7910852_2174495_n.jpg

what'ya think??

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll have to take your word on it that the hat looks like yours. It's not really fitting my taste is hats, though. The only time I wear a western hat is on those days when I dress up and play cowboy at CAS matches. Even though the western and the fedora are kissing cousins, I've just never felt comfortable in a western hat when I wasn't in costume (CAS).

That is an "interesting" bash. I'll give you that. Don't think I've ever seen one like it. Although it ain't to my liking, I do appreciate individuality and would give you points for style.:cool:

T Rick

Practically Family
Saw the movie 'Cowboys & Aliens' and was rather taken with the bash in Harrison Ford's hat..

So much so that I treid to emulate it on my Campdraft
302317_10150271450797218_586302217_7910852_2174495_n.jpg

what'ya think??
Certainly one of the more creative creases I've seen on a Camp Draft. I also haven't seen the movie, but this does certainly look more Western (to my eyes) than most CD's I've seen (seems the Camp Draft is sort if mid point between Fedora and Western, and can really lean in either direction).

DarthBish

Familiar Face
campdraft
/ˈkæmpdraft/ (Say 'kampdrahft)

noun

1. a competition in which a horserider selects a steer from a group in a corral, corners it and takes it round a set course in a certain time.

Well there ya go..
I'm an Aussie, and I've never heard of it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm