Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Casual Hat

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
just currious- what hat size do you wear?

personally- I own essentially no new hats- I'm a junior in HS - and I don't have that kind of money to drop on a lid.

so- I buy all vintage. I pick most stuff up on the cheap (with some exceptions), and I've collected quite a few very nice hats for the price of one moderately priced new hat. But this isn't going to help you in your locker issue.

that does look like a pretty nice hat if you're going down that route though.

you sure you don't just want to get a cheapo for the year, and wear nicer ones once you're out of gym? Or leave your hat with a teacher you know?

jml90

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
just currious- what hat size do you wear?

personally- I own essentially no new hats- I'm a junior in HS - and I don't have that kind of money to drop on a lid.

so- I buy all vintage. I pick most stuff up on the cheap (with some exceptions), and I've collected quite a few very nice hats for the price of one moderately priced new hat. But this isn't going to help you in your locker issue.

that does look like a pretty nice hat if you're going down that route though.

you sure you don't just want to get a cheapo for the year, and wear nicer ones once you're out of gym? Or leave your hat with a teacher you know?
7 5/8 Making vintage nearly impossible

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do not overlook the Traveler

traveller-regency-large.jpg

from either hatsdirect or everythingaustralian, it has a slightly wider brim at 2.75" and a teardrop crown and even w/ shipping from OZ, comes out a bit better on the bottom line! $93.77 to your door from everythingaustralian.com!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
how about ebay?

I just checked, and there are some nice looking dobbs on there in your size.
just a suggestion.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
how about ebay?

I just checked, and there are some nice looking dobbs on there in your size.
just a suggestion.

Too small a brim for my taste

feltfan

jml90 said:
7 5/8 Making vintage nearly impossible

Nonsense. I wear 7 1/2 LO - 7 5/8, depending on make, etc.
I use a hat stretcher to stretch 7 3/8 to 7 3/8 LO to my size
with no problem (you can also have a decent hat shop stretch
a hat like that for you and it will probably still be less expensive
than a new hat). I have picked up hats in all those sizes from
local sources and the notorious online auction site. The vast
majority were less expensive than the Akubra you are looking at
and the vast majority have 2 1/2" or wider brims.

It does take some time to find what you're looking for, but
if you really only want one nice vintage hat in your size, it
shouldn't take too long. Don't forget to stay at just one hat... ;)

analogist

One of the Regulars
Akubra Hats

I own a few Akubra hats which I have purchased from both Hats Direct and David Morgan. I think the quality of Akubra is just so-so, however, they hold up well in rain and snow.

As far as ordering from Australia, the hat is about $10 less than David Morgan. It took three weeks for me to get my Federation Deluxe from
down under and the postage was $35US. I bought it from them because Morgan does not carry that style. I have an Adventurebilt FG and like the style. They are vaguely similar in appearance but the AB is leagues above
Akubra without that great a price differential.

Should there be any dificulty in ordering from Bothell WA, there is no trouble returning it. They seem like decent folk and are easy to deal with.

I wanted the hat you want but it is not yet available. I got the traveller with the lightweight pliofelt body and it is my favorite Akubra. Light, comfortable, and well fitting.

I own many hats although I have never gotten one from the on line auction site. I have gotten several from various hatters which were new old stock or ones which customers left for renovation snd never picked up. It is always fun getting one of these and usually a great value. Akubra IMHO does not rate up there as "comfort food for the head."

analogist

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Newbie here.

In response to the Morgan vs. down under thing...I just got a Traveller for $85 incl. shipping and ins. and the same item from David Morgan would have been $110...and the delivery is set for 8 - 10 days after ordering (at Everything Australian). Although Morgan had the hat in "Sand" which would have been nice...I've learned to go a bit darker on these knockaround items.

I'll add the Traveller (what's with the 2 l's Mate?) to my B. Paterson and Coolabah and have a nice trio, I'm thinkin'.

DOUGLAS

I own one Akubra. It is the "Squatter". It is a well made hat and very comfortable however after wearing it in the rain several times the crown began to taper a bit which I am not fond of. As a use all out door hat I would recommend it though. The Squatter has a 3"brim so I am not sure it would fit in your locker.For reference
DSCN1151.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy