Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Cattleman

Ben Lee

New in Town
I hope not. The one I have now is bad enough! LOL. Just kidding. I already have a story about the hat saying it was a wedding gift. Oh, the Federation Deluxe was added today too. :eusa_doh:

What is open crown? I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure....Is it where the hat dips in the top instead of smooth like a bowler or derby?

Ben Lee

New in Town
Oh, and yes, I'm completely ate up with these hats now. I have about a hundred ball caps. I think they will be sold soon to fund fedoras! OCD? Probably. I'm a history nut so this fits me perfectly. :D

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Ben-
Open crown means the crown has no block or anything.. for example:

STA70001.jpg

I'm a big history buff as well, it just took me awhile to settle on an era! :)

jsecunda

New in Town
I'm an Akubra owner, thanks to this site. These are great hats and serve to protect my Optimo in really bad weather...They do not all come open crown. The Traveller doesn't, nor does the Cattleman. The Federation does come open crown, however-and you shape it yourself.

Thanks-
js

ledsled

One of the Regulars
59cm Akubra

My first "real" hat was an Akubra Traveller. I ordered a 59cm. Since then, I have gotten a 7 3/8 hat which I think fits me slightly better. My best guess is that I am between 59 and 60cm. If you are between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8, then I think you ordered just the right size for you! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got my Fed Deluxe yesterday, size 60. I normally wear an American size 7-1/2. Prior to bashing the hat, I tried it on for size and was momentarily dismayed when it hit my ears. I experimented with the foam strips that were provided, and ended up using one of the two strips, torn in half, with the halves placed on either side. After two days, the hat seems to be fitting itself to my head nicely.

I must be lucky, 'cause I was able to get a passable bash in the first few minutes, and have been refining it ever since. I'm wearing the hat pretty much every waking moment to help the break-in process (and because I love it!)

Rick Blaine

Tony in Tarzana said:
Just got my Fed Deluxe yesterday, size 60. I normally wear an American size 7-1/2. Prior to bashing the hat, I tried it on for size and was momentarily dismayed when it hit my ears. I experimented with the foam strips that were provided, and ended up using one of the two strips, torn in half, with the halves placed on either side. After two days, the hat seems to be fitting itself to my head nicely.

I must be lucky, 'cause I was able to get a passable bash in the first few minutes, and have been refining it ever since. I'm wearing the hat pretty much every waking moment to help the break-in process (and because I love it!)
They will all come w/ the strips, Ton'.
As to the open crown DO NOT be intimidated it would be hard to fudge up a FED, they are tough & resilient lids and the hand shaping is part of the fun, it can take multiple reshapes & rebashes & still come out looking new.
I am a 7 3/8 & ordered a fed at 60 cm, I found it a little big, so I wet the sweat & placed it on a lampshade for 10-20 min...and it fit like a glove.

Regards & best wishes,

Rick

Tony in Tarzana

I've read posts on different threads of people shaping their Feds using steam from the get-go. I just started shaping it dry and ended up using a little cold water to help get the details of the pinch and the teardrop set.

I was amazed that I could get an acceptable bash in the first few minutes. That's why I said I "must be lucky." I've been fiddling with it ever since, it's fun! :)

Ben Lee

New in Town
Guys,

It finally got here yesterday! All I can say is.....WOW. This hat is damn nice. Worth every penny. I took some pics yesterday at they are houses at the other site I visit daily. Here they are:

Akubra Cattleman Pics

Do I look dorky? ;)

Thanks to everyone at Hatdirect. It came SUPER fast and they have great customer service.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Great pictures Ben! It's always fun to get a hat and have it surpass your expectations.:D

....now if we could just get you and your lovely wife to herf with us over in Mobile!:D ;) lol

johnnycanuck

Looking good Ben. Nice choice, really suits you. I know a lot of people here are obsessed with hats that don't taper, at this moment they are all green with jealousy. How is the size? Are you happy with it?
Johnny

Ben Lee

New in Town
spiridon said:
Great pictures Ben! It's always fun to get a hat and have it surpass your expectations.:D

....now if we could just get you and your lovely wife to herf with us over in Mobile!:D ;) lol

The size is perfect. Like a glove. I guess if I wear it enough, it will form to my head more? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112