Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Cattleman

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The lining makes a real difference. My Cattleman is unlined and has been my go-to warm weather hiking and yard work hat for years. The vent holes and lack of liner, and Sand color, make it no hotter than a straw hat, IMHO. I mean, you're gonna sweat with anything on your head in sun/heat/humidity, so don't kid yourself about how "cool" it will be. I only say that it's no warmer than my panama and other straws I've owned... but vastly more durable.

As far as how much brim is "too much" for you around town, etc., that's a very personal thing, and partly tied to where you reside. I don't wear my Cattleman for more vaguely formal use, I wear my other Akubras with 2-1/2" and 2-3/4" brims. In this part of New York State, anything wider reads as a "cowboy hat", and unlike other parts of the country, not only are they uncommon here, they're considered an affectation.

But of course, so is any proper fedora that isn't a stingy fabric P.O.S.!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The lining makes a real difference. My Cattleman is unlined and has been my go-to warm weather hiking and yard work hat for years. The vent holes and lack of liner, and Sand color, make it no hotter than a straw hat, IMHO. I mean, you're gonna sweat with anything on your head in sun/heat/humidity, so don't kid yourself about how "cool" it will be. I only say that it's no warmer than my panama and other straws I've owned... but vastly more durable.

As far as how much brim is "too much" for you around town, etc., that's a very personal thing, and partly tied to where you reside. I don't wear my Cattleman for more vaguely formal use, I wear my other Akubras with 2-1/2" and 2-3/4" brims. In this part of New York State, anything wider reads as a "cowboy hat", and unlike other parts of the country, not only are they uncommon here, they're considered an affectation.

But of course, so is any proper fedora that isn't a stingy fabric P.O.S.!

Hi
I agree that felts and straws aren't much different in heat, but I haven't noticed a difference between a liner and no liner. I find NY's opinion that a cowboy hat is an affection, out of touch. Downtown NYC residents don't need a hat to keep in the shade, they got Skyscrapers. Cowboys wear cowboy hats so as to not get immediate skin cancer and / or sunburn. So, except for winter warmth, isn't ANY hat in NYC an affection?

You mention of 2 1/2 inch brim being a minimum matches my opinion.

Later

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I like the look of some liners but I always end up removing them. Not only do they add heat but weight as well. I used to have a cattleman with a liner, I removed it. Had to cut it around the vent holes.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS, I live two hours north of NYC and never visit the canyons of Manhattan. We've got nice small towns/cities and farms here like much of the country... but virtually nobody wears western hats. I mean, I'm 65 years old and I don't recall the last time I saw someone wearing one other than on Halloween!

And you're right: these days, any hat that isn't a ballcap or a crappy cloth stingy is indeed considered an affectation. I resemble that remark!

1961MJS, I live two hours north of NYC and never visit the canyons of Manhattan. We've got nice small towns/cities and farms here like much of the country... but virtually nobody wears western hats. I mean, I'm 65 years old and I don't recall the last time I saw someone wearing one other than on Halloween!

And you're right: these days, any hat that isn't a ballcap or a crappy cloth stingy is indeed considered an affectation. I resemble that remark!

It’s certainly regional. When I’m at work no one notices when I’m wearing a western hat. If I go 70 miles northwest I’d stick out like a sore thumb.

Some years back I was at work and talking with some of the locals standing in the sun for over an hour. I was the only one not wearing a hat, and more than one of my companions told me I needed to get me a “big hat.” Most of the hats those folks wore were cheap, quite dirty, and misshapen. They worked outside in the sun and heat and a large (western) was just a needed tool for them and didn’t come across as an affectation.

Cowlax8

New in Town
Thanks for the responses. I should mention that my style anxiety is because this hat will be a gift for my father. I'm trying to make sure it's something he will wear and not just store in the closet. He's not a fashion hat guy but wears hats all the time while outside. I know he wants something for summer, specifically, for light rain but I know he'd wear it for sun protection as well. I've seen him pick up, try on, and put back Tilley hats on several occasions (not sure if they aren't quite what he's looking for or not, but I think if he really wanted one he'd just buy it).

It won't be worn anywhere close to NYC, but I do want it to be something he'd wear in public.

It looks like the US retailers have full lining in the hats they offer; definitely not a requirement and sounds like more of detriment. To order from Australia looks to be similar cost, but if there is a sizing issue it would be much tough to remedy. If I went the Australia route, I'd like grab the Tablelands over the Cattleman due to a softer crown shape.

Does the 3 1/4 inch crown offer enough protection from the elements or would the 4" be more advisable?

Also, going down this Akubra rabbit hole leads me to believe I'll be shopping for myself soon. That's a whole other set of considerations.

Thanks for the responses. I should mention that my style anxiety is because this hat will be a gift for my father. I'm trying to make sure it's something he will wear and not just store in the closet. He's not a fashion hat guy but wears hats all the time while outside. I know he wants something for summer, specifically, for light rain but I know he'd wear it for sun protection as well. I've seen him pick up, try on, and put back Tilley hats on several occasions (not sure if they aren't quite what he's looking for or not, but I think if he really wanted one he'd just buy it).

It won't be worn anywhere close to NYC, but I do want it to be something he'd wear in public.

It looks like the US retailers have full lining in the hats they offer; definitely not a requirement and sounds like more of detriment. To order from Australia looks to be similar cost, but if there is a sizing issue it would be much tough to remedy. If I went the Australia route, I'd like grab the Tablelands over the Cattleman due to a softer crown shape.

Does the 3 1/4 inch crown offer enough protection from the elements or would the 4" be more advisable?

Also, going down this Akubra rabbit hole leads me to believe I'll be shopping for myself soon. That's a whole other set of considerations.

I got rid of my Cattleman because the crown was too low for me. It’s all personal preferences. A 3 1/4” brim offers sun protection, but who can say if it will be enough? I do find the 3 to 3 1/2 inch brims “easier“ to wear than the larger brims. I can’t say that I’ve noticed much of any difference in how hot a hat wears with or without a liner.

Cowlax8

New in Town
I got rid of my Cattleman because the crown was too low for me. It’s all personal preferences. A 3 1/4” brim offers sun protection, but who can say if it will be enough? I do find the 3 to 3 1/2 inch brims “easier“ to wear than the larger brims. I can’t say that I’ve noticed much of any difference in how hot a hat wears with or without a liner.

This was my lean on wearability vs sun protection - obviously a 4 inch brim will offer better coverage but won't be as nimble.

The standard cattleman crown shape seems stiff and won't allow the hat to sit on the head quite as well.
For what I'm looking at from a cost and convenience perspective US vs Aus supplier I think I can handle reshaping - just hope the lining doesn't make that more difficult to reshape.

If it was for me, I'd definitely be leaning more towards a Coober Pedy/Banjo Paterson shape than the Cattleman shape

dkstott

Practically Family
I'm just south of Hartford CT. Western style hats are seen fairly often at the dairy farms around me. But around town, I see more outback style hats. Fedora style hats are pretty rare.

dkstott

Practically Family
I like my Banjo Patterson hat for hiking, yard work and general purpose outings. It was really stiff in the beginning, but after it got soaked in 2 rain storms, it's really soft.

Never felt the need to remove the lining or any need for vent holes.

This was my lean on wearability vs sun protection - obviously a 4 inch brim will offer better coverage but won't be as nimble.

The standard cattleman crown shape seems stiff and won't allow the hat to sit on the head quite as well.
For what I'm looking at from a cost and convenience perspective US vs Aus supplier I think I can handle reshaping - just hope the lining doesn't make that more difficult to reshape.

If it was for me, I'd definitely be leaning more towards a Coober Pedy/Banjo Paterson shape than the Cattleman shape

Why not consider the Bushman? That way you can give it any shape you want. I would still like more crown, but the Bushman deserves a look.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
You might check the second post of 2 on this thread to see you your Dad lives near a custom hatter, someone posted that the Cattleman had a low crown, if that doesn't look good on your dad, custom may be a way to go. There used to be quite a few hatters in the NYC and state.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/links-to-important-hat-forum-threads.52584/

I'd say 2 1/2 inch brim would be the minimum I'd get and is also about what you can get for a Fedora in dress weight felt.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21