Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Fed IV or Christy's Adventurer, whats better?

thecoolmiester

New in Town
Hi I'm looking to get another Fedora but in grey and it's between fed IV reg or Christy's adventurer. Which one would make a better Indy style grey clipper hat?
( btw you can find christy's adventurer at hornetshats.com )

Show pic comparisons if you have them.

kiltie

Practically Family
Christys': Decent hat. Waaaaay dressier than Akubra, but shoddy ribbon that may need some tweaking ( and I don't mean amphetimines...). Very Herbert Johnson in a modern way. Soft, and very receptive to shaping.

Akubra: Not as fine looking a felt, but much, much more rugged. Will definately outlast a Christys' if there's going to be any rough play.

I have both of these hats in Sable ( or brown, in the case of the Akubra ), so no pictures to help. The color to get for a grey Christys' is "Burma", if you're going for IJ, from what I've seen.

If I was doing a scene for scene remake of IJ, I'd go a Christys' purely for looks. Better color, better outward appearance, more character straight out of the box.
For a hat that's gonna keep, get the Akubra - easy blockshape that anybody can get an IJ shape out of, but needs some coaxing to get a "lived in" look to it. That's not to say the Christys' won't last, just that you won't have to really think about it so much with the Fed IV.

Right now, they're both about the same price shipped to the US.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Christy gets a lot of support because it really has the potential to look the part. However, the recent changes to the Federation, in my eye, make it the better choice. They have a great color for the sea plane hat (Moonstone), they are built better than just about any off-the-rack hat today, and the dimensions are now spot-on for an Indy hat. The Christy's might need a brim trimming, and will need maintenance much sooner. Since the prices are about the same right now, the Fed seems like a no-brainer to me. [huh]

kiltie

Practically Family
N-B is right about the brim, but if you opt for Christys', I would suggest sanding the brim, or make sure you have REALLY sharp scissors or a new X-acto. The brim is so soft, it will bind in less than ideal conditions when trimming.

Tone

A-List Customer
I'd say the above is almost accurate except for the mention that the Fed IV is "right on" for the Raiders height. By default, both the Christy's and the Fed IV are about the same crown height, which is slightly too tall for an accurate version of the Indy hat.

The Christys Adventurer, however, can be custom ordered with a crown height that matches the Raiders hat.

The Fed IV usually has to be diamond dented, or something done to the top to bring it into proportion with the brim. It doesn't quite ever look right with an actual center dent to me. (Not as a fedora, as an Indy hat.)

Two different felts completely.

Longevity and pure carefreeness - Akubra makes a lot of hats in various styles and as long as there's a variety of Akubra hats out there, there's always room for a model or two.

Christys Adventurer - Softer hat, but not necessarily akin to "cheap" felt as often mistold. Just a different nature and character.

One of the really nice things about the Christys, I find, is the ability to pretty much build one from scratch when ordering.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There is a problem... Whenever I've seen A Christy's fedora in person, the crowns tend to be lopsided. From talking to a past owner of one I've found that it's not the blocking that's is off, it's just that when they get wet they tend to shrink on one side of the crown. I've seen it in person... I'm thinking it has to do with how Christy's puts the hats on the blocks, maybe a mechanism putting it on from the side rather than actual people, perhaps stretching one side regularly versus the other.

Another thing I think off about Christy's is how they put the liner attached to the leather sweatband. This is the only company on earth that does that. It's literally glued to the sweatband though not connected to the felt. Makes it impossible to turn the sweatband out (for whatever reason you'd want to) without tearing out the liner.

Tone

A-List Customer
Any current owners of a Christy's Adventurer (still in their possession) experience a lopsided crown? With pics to help demonstrate this? Both before and after.

Anyone? Particularly where they'd styled it the way they wanted and then found that the crown went lopsided?

Thanks.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
lopsided?

I don't see a lopsided crown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbWMFXi6XQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXPyBPRE5A

He posted some video of his Christy's Adventurer. My only beef with the hat in these vids is that something just doesnt look right, maybe its the way the crown tapers in relation to the brim, I don't know exactly. to me the fed looks more stove pipe.

Perhaps the crowns don't go lopsided, but is there any tapering going on after some wear? And if you can't turn out the sweatband, then how do you dry out yoru hat when it gets wet?

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Tone said:
The Fed IV usually has to be diamond dented, or something done to the top to bring it into proportion with the brim. It doesn't quite ever look right with an actual center dent to me. (Not as a fedora, as an Indy hat.)

With you on the height Tone. The centre dent on mine looked great in the hand but not on the head! I tried a bunch of bashes, including the 'indy' but settled on a deep diamond.
Love the hat though!
Very robust, better for winter than summer. I've always been a felts all year round guy but found that even with the liner gone, my Fed is a tad hot for outback wear!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Having owned a Federation IV Regular in the past, and currently owning a Deluxe, I can vouch for the quality of both. I've not found the brim to crown height to be disproportionate, that's a new one on me. I can without hesitation say that the Deluxe is a nicer hat than the Regular, smoother finish, nicer sweatband. Is it wrong to love a sweatband? If so, I'm guilty of loving my mine.

While I've never seen a Christy's Adventurer in person, the photos I've seen... those ribbons are just shoddy looking. Were I to buy one, the ribbon would HAVE to go. As to durability, I can only say what I've heard say as to their tendency to taper and shrink.

For my money, I'd jump at a Federation, and walk slowly toward an Adventurer.

Randy

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
way to settle this

I propose that all current owners of christy's step up and testify on behalf of their hats. brass knuckles, horshoes in the gloves and switch blades are as always.............legal as this is not in the ring

Tone

A-List Customer
elvisroe said:
With you on the height Tone. The centre dent on mine looked great in the hand but not on the head! I tried a bunch of bashes, including the 'indy' but settled on a deep diamond.
Love the hat though!
Very robust, better for winter than summer. I've always been a felts all year round guy but found that even with the liner gone, my Fed is a tad hot for outback wear!

The Fed IV seems a great gateway hat to appreciating the Campdraft.

Yeah, the one issue that sort of gets lost when the "Rain, rain! (RIBBON!) Akubra felt, rain!" angle is brought up is the fact that the Fed IV's proportions are just off. Not that the diamond or c-crown isn't the preferred style for many who are not looking to put or try an Indy type pinch in it. The C-Crown or alternate versions certainly help bring a Fed IV into wearability.

It's kind of strange that the one hat recommended as a great hat for the Indy bash almost never stays in (nor looks right on someone's head with) that particular setup. I have yet to see an Akubra Federation look right on someone's head in that configuration and it makes me wonder why those specs were chosen as a "fix" for the previous Federation III interpretation. In one sense the Akubra Federation was better off with the old Fed III - super tall - version. Just look at how often the owner of a Fed IV decides they "like it better" with the diamond, etc. It's not the particular pinch being off, so to speak, but the dimensions just don't work for a center dent.

Felt durability, yes, the Akubras are very trustworthy, and I'm glad there are models like the Akubra Adventurer, Bushman, and Squatter still out there, also on the Imperial felt. And they work with a center dent.

As far as the decision to enjoy the Christys Adventurer; there's a nature to the Christys felt that many other hats just don't match - in consideration of the behavior of the felt and how it looks when worn.

Then again, if you notice, it never seems to be the owners of the Christys making claims brought up for argument in the first place. ;)

But I agree, the Akubra felt is great for carefree hiking, etc. I still pop on my old Akubra Adventurer simply to feel the "trust" in the felt. But - it's center-dented, too.

frussell

One Too Many
Adventurer vs Fed IV

I just had both of these hats shipped to me in the last two weeks, so I can make a pretty good comparison. Felt on the Christy's was much smoother and softer feeling. I did not have to use steam or water on either one to bash them. I still have the Fed IV, the Christy's went to another Lounge member. Why? Already discussed in the Christy's thread. Their sizing is not as consistent as I've found my Akubras to be. The Adventurer was sold as a 63, but was much closer to a size 62. I could have spent days stretching it and noodling with it, but it would have tapered and would not have looked the same. The Fed IV doesn't feel as fine, but I wanted a hat that was sized correctly, with customer service that backs up their product. I'm not an Indyphile, even though I loved the movies. Strangely enough, I do have the crown on the Fed bashed pretty similar to the Indy style, and it looks just fine to me, and has stayed that way dry-bashed. I did not feel like I had to put a diamond or C crease in it due to height issues. I guess everybody's take is different. Hopefully the Adventurer's new owner will love it as much as I wanted to. Frank

Tone

A-List Customer
(Since it's his initial post) Here's what Coolmeister got from his Christys.

DSC05870.jpg

Darn fine look to it. It's got the edge AND looks right at home on him.

But...Good point. That style can be appreciated without being an "indyphile" though it does seem it's the first thing on everyone's mind when trying for it in a hat - while denying it. :) So let's call it center dented with a tight front pinch?

Yeah, it's unfortunate you weren't able to get pics of both being worn before you sent the Christys off. Would have been a good point of comparison to explain it better.

So let's have a look at that Fed IV on your noggin.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Tone said:
(Since it's his initial post) Here's what Coolmeister got from his Christys.

DSC05870.jpg

Darn fine look to it. It's got the edge AND looks right at home on him.

But...Good point. That style can be appreciated without being an "indyphile" though it does seem it's the first thing on everyone's mind when trying for it in a hat - while denying it. :) So let's call it center dented with a tight front pinch?

Yeah, it's unfortunate you weren't able to get pics of both being worn before you sent the Christys off. Would have been a good point of comparison to explain it better.

So let's have a look at that Fed IV on your noggin.

That's one of the best Christy's Adventurers that I've seen, congrats! And yes, it DOES look at home on him. I'd love to get a peek at a closeup of the bow.

Randy

frussell

One Too Many
He Did Good

Agreed, that hat looks just right. Nice to see a young guy who isn't wearing something trendier. Don't get me wrong Tone, I thought my Adventurer was a fine hat, just misrepresented size-wise. I would call what my Fed is bashed in right now a diamond/center crease. I find that with my large head and overall largeness ( roughly 6' 5", flirting with 290 lbs), anything too low crowned looks like a porkpie on me. I love porkpies, but not all the time. I'd love to find a tall enough crown that I could crease in a diamond without losing all the height, it just hasn't happened. I understand your feelings about the Adventurer, it was surely a fine feeling piece of felt. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR