Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Heritage Fawn vs Tawny Fawn

Count me in as well. I've never seen the Heritage Fawn in person, but based on the photos I've seen here and on Hats Direct's website I'd say the Heritage Fawn is more of a neutral/grayish tan while the Tawny Fawn is more of a warm/golden tan. It would be nice to see them photographed side-by-side under the same lighting conditions to see how accurate that is.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Count me in as well. I've never seen the Heritage Fawn in person, but based on the photos I've seen here and on Hats Direct's website I'd say the Heritage Fawn is more of a neutral/grayish tan while the Tawny Fawn is more of a warm/golden tan. It would be nice to see them photographed side-by-side under the same lighting conditions to see how accurate that is.
I've got the Heritage Fawn Fed IV. Perhaps the decent thing for me to do is buy a Tawny Fawn so we can all compare and learn. After all, I am closer to Hats Direct then you are.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Tawny Fawn is cheaper. Imperial Quality. Heritage Fawn is the more expensive also called "Deluxe" quality by some vendors.

Tawny Fawn is cheaper. Imperial Quality. Heritage Fawn is the more expensive also called "Deluxe" quality by some vendors.
Isn't Heritage Fawn also a bit more reddish/brown? How does Bran compare to these two? Sometimes when I look at the websites I can see the difference in the colors but I don't know which one is which.

RJR

Isn't Heritage Fawn also a bit more reddish/brown? How does Bran compare to these two? Sometimes when I look at the websites I can see the difference in the colors but I don't know which one is which.
Here is an Akubra felt sample from a couple of years ago if it helps. Hat-Tools-Ribbons Akubra Colors.JPG

Here is an Akubra felt sample from a couple of years ago if it helps. View attachment 71643
Thank you for posting that Bob. I tried to find it on the 'Net last night and failed. Unfortunately, it doesn't show an example of the Heritage Fawn.

But it does help to illustrate why it can be difficult to determine an exact color based on how it's represented in a single image. For example, on that card "Taupe" and "Tawny" (presumably Taupe Fawn and Tawny Fawn) are represented as the same color, and that isn't the case in the real world. Here are my Tawny Fawn Fed IV and my Taupe Fawn Campdraft:

Akubras_04_zps381ff3a6.jpg

As you can see, the Taupe Fawn on the right is a little darker and not quite as "warm" as the Tawny Fawn on the left. Similar, but not the same.

Thank you for posting that Bob. I tried to find it on the 'Net last night and failed. Unfortunately, it doesn't show an example of the Heritage Fawn.

But it does help to illustrate why it can be difficult to determine an exact color based on how it's represented in a single image. For example, on that card "Taupe" and "Tawny" (presumably Taupe Fawn and Tawny Fawn) are represented as the same color, and that isn't the case in the real world. Here are my Tawny Fawn Fed IV and my Taupe Fawn Campdraft:

Akubras_04_zps381ff3a6.jpg

As you can see, the Taupe Fawn on the right is a little darker and not quite as "warm" as the Tawny Fawn on the left. Similar, but not the same.
They escape responsibility with that phrase, " variations may occur in dyeing".

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Taupe/Tawny is very similar in color to a typical cardboard box. I've seen people compare it to Hot Chocolate, too.

Heritage is a nice color. I wish they made a Campdraft version.

It almost appears bran on my monitor but given the variance on different monitors I don't know.
Thanks Bob. I thought it might be Bran & it matches your BP on my monitor but in person it can appear more brown with perhaps a touch of rust undertones.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Because of my commitment to you guys, I ordered a Tawny Fawn Fed IV.

Here's a side by side
864E2F9A-1E4B-49DA-ACE1-8061905EFBF9_zps6qpqc4jg.jpg

Left: Federation IV Deluxe Heritage Fawn. Right: Federation IV Tawny Fawn

And here's a quick dry bash of 'our' new Fed IV
20A82417-CB30-4A07-A4C3-758DB8F8E388_zps1czwtj3g.jpg

I'll apply some steam tonight and refine the shape.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Because of my commitment to you guys, I ordered a Tawny Fawn Fed IV.

Here's a side by side
864E2F9A-1E4B-49DA-ACE1-8061905EFBF9_zps6qpqc4jg.jpg

Left: Federation IV Deluxe Heritage Fawn. Right: Federation IV Tawny Fawn

And here's a quick dry bash of 'our' new Fed IV
20A82417-CB30-4A07-A4C3-758DB8F8E388_zps1czwtj3g.jpg

I'll apply some steam tonight and refine the shape.
Wow, Andrew! You took one for the team! (I have to remember that tactical op. next time I "need" another hat...) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko