Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra "Imperial Quality"

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi Brian. If you search the Akubra overload thread you will find a wealth of information. Akubra uses two grades of felt. Imperial is the lower of the two. That having been said, their Imperial quality is among the best quality you can buy in a modern production hat.

Their Heritage felt presumably contains a higher percentage of wild hare.

You might also find the "ask a question, get an answer" thread helpful in the future.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hi Brian. If you search the Akubra overload thread you will find a wealth of information. Akubra uses two grades of felt. Imperial is the lower of the two. That having been said, their Imperial quality is among the best quality you can buy in a modern production hat.

Their Heritage felt presumably contains a higher percentage of wild hare.

You might also find the "ask a question, get an answer" thread helpful in the future.

Thanks much!!!!!!!!

Brian

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
The Heritage Quality is processed a little different too which makes it a softer and smoother felt. They also have an upgraded (wider) leather sweat which makes a big difference in comfort. Like mentioned above, Akubra Imperial Quality hats are among the best on the market. I have a couple of them and am waiting on another.

The felt in these hats is made from a select blend of specially graded furs of rabbit and hare which permit a longer and more arduous shrinking process. This process develops 25% more shrinkage, producing a denser and stronger felt, which in turn provides the basis for a superb pounced finish. The roan leather for the sweatbands is tanned from selected sheepskins, for an exceptional quality. The bands themselves are cut wider than normal to ensure the greatest comfort.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Technically, Akubra has 3-4 felt levels.

30X, only available in one or two western styles, contains a mixture of furs, 70% hare and 30% beaver. This would probably be their highest quality but these hats are probably shellacked all to hell (ie stiff).

Heritage has been mentioned before. It's their highest level fur at a reasonable price range. Heritage hats also usually come with a higher quality sweatband than the Imperials.

Imperial is the standard. It's tough and softens admirably with use. You'll not see many complaints with this one.

Last is something called Superfine, which I've mostly seen offered in Australia. May or may not be a slightly softer or lighter version of Imperial, and most hats of this type seem to lack a liner. This one's an oldy, and I'm not sure if Akubra indeed still produces Superfine hats.

casechopper

Last is something called Superfine, which I've mostly seen offered in Australia. May or may not be a slightly softer or lighter version of Imperial, and most hats of this type seem to lack a liner. This one's an oldy, and I'm not sure if Akubra indeed still produces Superfine hats.

I have a cut down squatter in the superfine felt and it's definitely lighter than the imperial or heritage felts. It also feels a bit more finely pounced to me though I'm no expert on this.

casechopper

To the OP: The imperial felt is the standard Akubra quality level. It's very serviceable and make a great working or daily wear hat.

Duper

Practically Family
You can also add their pliofelt to the list of Akubra felt types. It is the felt used in their Traveller hat. Also a pure fur felt but better able to withstand the abuse of tight spaces and regaining its shape.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
My two cents on imperial quality. It looks lower quality than it actually is. Not pounced very well in my opinion. I always sand or "pounce" my new hats with fine grit sand paper. This helps the looks better match the actual quality. The felt softens with wear though some models are more stiff than others and take longer to soften. They hold up very well in the rain and overall day to day abuse. Mine have kept me dry so many times and I have yet to have one soak through to the underside of the felt. Other production hats in their price range are questionable to me. You don't really know if the color will run or they will shrink and up and taper when rained on or crack when bent. Not worth the risk to me. They just look and feel like junk. When you buy an Akubra you know what you're getting.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I am looking at purchasing an Akubra Slouch Hat (Military Hat) and it is listed as "super fine" quality. It does not have a liner because it's made to wear in the summer and winter. I'll have one before Spring, I just have to wait until my wife gets over the shock of the two new ones I've just purchased. I want something rugged and fun to wear with jeans but not as dressy as my fedoras.

Duper

Practically Family
Right. That one's light enough to require a wire in the brim, or am I wrong?

Hey Neo! I trimmed the brim on my Traveller. The brim holds up fine without the wire. I find the felt thickness to be actually visually thicker than my Fed IV or a Stetson Sovereign felt and much thicker than my Akubra Sydney. I almost get a wool felt feeling from it. It is a top seller down under and I only wish it came with a leather sweat.

Neophyte

Hey Neo! I trimmed the brim on my Traveller. The brim holds up fine without the wire. I find the felt thickness to be actually visually thicker than my Fed IV or a Stetson Sovereign felt and much thicker than my Akubra Sydney. I almost get a wool felt feeling from it. It is a top seller down under and I only wish it came with a leather sweat.

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo