Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra International

Banzai

Familiar Face
This hat appears to be the new incarnation of what was formerly known as the "Casual".

Question; how well does it withstand repeated packing/crushing? I travel a LOT, and I've been on the hunt for a hat that I can smash down in a suitcase. (Which rules out the Fed IV, unfortunately.)

I've thought about a cheapo Jaxon wool crushable, but would really like to stick with something better quality if the packing won't destroy it.

Duper

Practically Family
I have a Casual. This International is a different model altogether that also existed at the same time as the Casual. Only one survived the reduction in models.

I also have an Akubra Traveller. The felt on the Traveller is much thicker than the felt on the Casual. Makes sense as the Traveller is more of a country/western style hat. The casual is a thinner felt and I do like the texture. I would have liked to acquire another in a brown shade, but alas they are gone.

I have travelled a lot with the Traveller. Not so much with the Casual but I think it could stand a little crumpling in an overhead bin or travel happily in a suitcase if you backed the crown with socks or a t-shirt.

,,,Mike in Canada

Edward

Bartender
Christy's still make the Foldaway in a range of colours - http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/christys-hats-foldaway-fedora-black-p130419/ I'm keeping an eye outg for a good price on one or two of those. I did have one I bought relatively cheaply on eBay, but it's now fit only for a zombie costume as carpet beetles got to it..... :cry: Still, the felt was good quality, and it did function well for what it is. I didn't have itg in service long enough to know whether there's a risk of the felt splitting with too sharp a pinch if you're forever bending it backwards and forwards, but it did ficntion well when I used it. I tended to pack it by stuffing it with socks and packing larger items around it in a case. Never had a problem with any fedora I've put in the overhead locker.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's the first travel hat I've seen with a 2 1/2" brim, as most of the others are skimpier. It does seem, though, to have a bit of taper in the crown, which, with a head as big as mine, makes me look like Zippy the Pinhead. Then again, I suppose a travel hat is always going to be a bit of a compromise.

Duper

Practically Family
On Instagram Strand Hatters remarked that the new Akubra Cappello has a memory felt and is squashable.

On the Akubra site they say,,

CAPPELLO Colour: Granite Blue, Natural Brim: 70mm, Double edged Size: S mall, Medium, Large and X-Large A new unisex style that looks good on both men and women. Available in Natural and with a cigar styled precrease, soft buckram inner and double edged brim to help hold its shape, the soft and supple Cappello is designed to go anywhere you want to go and look good at the other end. Finished with 10mm Felt band and classic Akubra Scroll badge, the Cappello is already turning heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart