Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Leisure Time vs Stetson Weekender

EggHead

Practically Family
These two hats seem similar visually, except that LT's brim is 1/4" wider and pure fur felt, whereas Wr is a mix wool/fur and has 2 1/2" brim. Does anyone have any hands on (heads on) experience with them both?

theinterchange

One Too Many
For the money, I'd have to say the Akubra is the best long run choice. For around the same price [or maybe cheaper if you shop around], you've got a pure rabbit felt hat which will withstand [almost] anything you throw at it.

After a quick check, EverythingAustralian has the best Leisure Time price, and they have Regency Fawn in stock. While I haven't purchased from them yet, I hear boatloads of good things about them.

Randy

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No question. Pure fur over wool/fur blend anytime. Akubra over Hatco anytime... my .o2 (I was under the impression tho' that the Stetson was 100% fur felt... maybe I am mistaken?)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeah... I would definitely go with the Akubra Leisure Time, although the Stetson looks nice too. I think you will get much more from the Akubra, as their products are reputed to be very durable and hardwearing. I mean, if you wanted to, you could wear the Leisure Time as a yard-work hat, constantly, even during rainfall, and it would still look good, but I can't say the same about Stetson's felt, although I wouldn't mind getting a hat made by them someday.

Rick Blaine

The Good said:
Yeah... I would definitely go with the Akubra Leisure Time, although the Stetson looks nice too. I think you will get much more from the Akubra, as their products are reputed to be very durable and hardwearing. I mean, if you wanted to, you could wear the Leisure Time as a yard-work hat, constantly, even during rainfall, and it would still look good, but I can't say the same about Stetson's felt, although I wouldn't mind getting a hat made by them someday.

leisuretime.jpg

The Akubra looks killer in sand color too!

EggHead

Practically Family
Thanks gents for the replies. I was leaning towards Akubra because of pure felt. But I had a chance to try the Stetson the other day and I liked the feel, the color (mid brown) and how it sat on my head, 2.5" brims also felt just right. Not a glitzy hat, but something I could wear during commute to work and hiking in the park and as a casual city hat. I was getting the impression from some previous posts that Akubra might be less dressy and just wanted to hear some comparisons. I wish I could have tried the Akubra alongside, but there were none. I know a Sydney is more dressy than that Stetson (I have a black one), but I really liked the feathered hat band, and LT has a similar kind.

EggHead

Practically Family
Interchange, I have to agree with you. I think if Akubra has any weak points, it's the fact that all colors that they have do not come across all the hats and ribbon selection is weak too. And my personal cooler climate peeve - not a lot of 2.25", 2.5" brims.

Neophyte

I have no experience with Stetson, but I do with Akubra. Thus I am biased.

I will say that I tried my damnedest to find a Leisuretime in Sand, like the one DeeLovely had in the Akubra Overload thread. There doesn't seem to be one around unless you want to wait three months :(. I finally decided on the Lightning Ridge.

James71

A-List Customer
Ive got a leisuretime.

Its a nice enough hat, but I dont like he unbound brim. It takes frequent steaming to keep it in shape. It seems a lot softer than some of my newer akubras.

Its very comfortable and has a gorgeous bright red liner.

theinterchange

One Too Many
James71 said:
Ive got a leisuretime.

Its a nice enough hat, but I dont like he unbound brim. It takes frequent steaming to keep it in shape. It seems a lot softer than some of my newer akubras.

Its very comfortable and has a gorgeous bright red liner.

Does it have less stiffener in it?

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
Have you ordered it yet?

Randy

Not yet, but probably in the next few days. Gotta make sure there isn't something I would better served in purchasing over another hat lol!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Not yet, but probably in the next few days. Gotta make sure there isn't something I would better served in purchasing over another hat lol!

I know what you mean. Until I sell a few off, I blew my small hat budget on a NICE Resistol Open Road clone off eBay yesterday.

Randy

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
EggHead said:
These two hats seem similar visually, except that LT's brim is 1/4" wider and pure fur felt, whereas Wr is a mix wool/fur and has 2 1/2" brim. Does anyone have any hands on (heads on) experience with them both?

Where did you find a wool/fur Weekender? The only ones I've seen are all fur.

theinterchange

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:
Where did you find a wool/fur Weekender? The only ones I've seen are all fur.

Now that you mention it, I've only seen a fur version... but still stick to Akubra as my choice in this instance.

The thing is, EggHead, we can spout opinions all day long but you're the one who has the ultimate say. Which hat do YOU prefer in terms of looks, that sort of thing. One question, what do you intend to do while wearing this hat? For a casual wear hat, I'd have to say the Stetson should prove to be a very nice hat... Were you going to use it in outdoor pursuits where all manner of weather is encountered, I'd go Akubra all they way.

Randy

P.S Sterling Leather seems to have the best Weekender price I've seen online. Well, some of the best Stetson prices period.

EggHead

Practically Family
The store salesman told me Weekender was a wool/fur mix. I liked it's walnut color (mid-brown to my looks), it fit well in size 58cm, I usually wear 59.
Price was bit steep about $180. If it was the same price as LeisureTime, I would have bought it. I plan to wear it during walking and commute and to park and trails and to not so formal restaurants. Weekender was very polished and nice looking and the headband was to my liking.
But if LeisureTime is very similar to it, I would prefer that - price is better and 100% fur felt. From some web comments, I think the finish may not be as smooth. Well, we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass