Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, sorry about that. I had assumed that someone a few pages back had requested a picture of Silverbelly...anyway, thanks for the clarification :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I applaud your idea, but I'm afraid one could not call it definative....

.... as you would be basing your results on SUBJECTIVELY PERCIEVED impressions ! :) Now if you were to do this at the SAME TIME and SAME TEMPERATURE for a set number of times and ran a thermostate up into the hat to record the temps and THEN factored in wind velocity, chill factors , sunny or cloudy etc. you could make a DEFINATIVE assessment of which one is warmer!! ( youd also have to figure in the interior volume of space in each hat, volume displaced by your noggin etc :) ) My guess is that BOTH hats really are similar if not the same in PERCIEVED WARMTH :) ( I've spent TOOO many years working with engineers and architects , I need to get out :) )

Neophyte

.... as you would be basing your results on SUBJECTIVELY PERCIEVED impressions ! :) Now if you were to do this at the SAME TIME and SAME TEMPERATURE for a set number of times and ran a thermostate up into the hat to record the temps and THEN factored in wind velocity, chill factors , sunny or cloudy etc. you could make a DEFINATIVE assessment of which one is warmer!! ( youd also have to figure in the interior volume of space in each hat, volume displaced by your noggin etc :) ) My guess is that BOTH hats really are similar if not the same in PERCIEVED WARMTH :) ( I've spent TOOO many years working with engineers and architects , I need to get out :) )

All true. I suppose you're right. A simple test without controlled variables, the results of which are based solely on perception, is bound to produce dubious results, especially when considering my biased preconceptions.

Oh well, it was just something to do :). I have decided to cancel my plans, to maintain my scientific integrity.

By the way, have any of you checked out that article I posted. If that isn't an overload of Akubras, then I don't know what is :p!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Do you think we have OVER 800 Akubra wearers....

.... here ? If so, we need to get together and set the record :) Neat article, to bad they could not get enough folks together, but then Australia's a BIG place !! :) ( which is probably why we have so many of 'em moving here to Texas, they think they are home :) )

Neophyte

.... here ? If so, we need to get together and set the record :) Neat article, to bad they could not get enough folks together, but then Australia's a BIG place !! :) ( which is probably why we have so many of 'em moving here to Texas, they think they are home :) )

Lol, how ironic would that be for the record to be broken OUTSIDE of Australia!!!

theinterchange

One Too Many
By the way, have any of you checked out that article I posted. If that isn't an overload of Akubras, then I don't know what is :p!

It would be fun to be a part of something like that. I don't get why they have to be "doing" something... they are... they came to this one location WEARING a certain brand of hat. Considering some of the incredibly stupid things you hear Guiness World Records being set over... :eusa_doh:

Randy

Neophyte

-2 Campdrafts (tawny fawn and bluegrass green)
-1 Squatter (willow green)
-1 Fedora (carbon grey)
-1 Federation IV (dark brown)
-1 Lightning Ridge (sand)

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
I presently have 11 Akubras. 3 Camp Drafts, 1 Traveller, 1 Casual, 1 Stockman, 2 Fed IVs, 2 Banjo Patersons, 1 Capricorn. Unless they come out with some other special edition Camp Draft or Fed IV colours, I may have maxed out for awhile.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
I have but one Akubra, though I expect to get more in the future.

Akubra is (and will hopefully remain) the only manufacturer of Australian Army slouch hats, so I'm 100% certain that there have been many occasions where there have been thousands of people all wearing Akubras at once.

I'm also sure that at Agricultural shows, country music festivals, and so on, there have been more than 800 civilian Akubras all together at once, too. Akubra sell a lot of hats in Australia, the fedoras and similar are only a tiny part of Akubra's market.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
How many Akubras, you ask?

(Heritage grade)
- 2 Banjo Patersons
- 4 Federation Deluxes
- 1 Lightning Ridge

- 1 each (Imperial grade) Kiandra (used), Riverina, Rodeo (slightly used), Cattleman (very used from Oz).

Total = 11 hats.

Needless to add, Akubra makes really tough headgear. If you're not an armchair adventurer and looking for something that won't let you down, and don't want to venture vintage under those conditions, you'll not go wrong with these.

- Bill

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just the one, brown Fed IV, but I do plan on getting another around Christmastime. Stylemaster in acorn fawn, likely, looking at things now...

After owning the Fed IV for almost a year, I'm sold on the quality and durability of Akubra. They're excellent hats for the money, for sure.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
10 for me and that may be it for awhile
Graphite grey Banjo Paterson
Heritage Fawn Banjo Paterson
Tracker
Loden Angler
Regency Fawn Leisure Time
Black Rogue
Black Stockman
Brown Fed III
Tawny Fawn Fed IV