Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It has arrived .......

..... my latest Akubra, a GORGEOUS "Mid-Brown" Stylemaster" from John Hemer Haberdashers up in Portland, Ore, via DM. The color is NOT a Mid-brown, rather it is a BEAUTIFUL Dark Chocolate with edge binding and hat band to match. It's an Imperial felt model but has a VERY smooth finish, more so than my other Imperial felts. it comes in a nice classic pinch front teardrop crease and I have deepened the pinch a bit more to my liking. As for the rest of the hat, it's the usual Akubra quality, some of the BEST (IMHO ) Sorry no pics I'm digital photography impaired ( I still use film :)) .

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I keep forgetting to ask you how you like it?

Well, here's the latest photo of my Bluegrass CD. I shot this for the "What Hat Are You Wearing" thread, but wanted to repost it here... and then in the CD thread.

5097737298_259ebb758c_b.jpg

I like the bash on that CD!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I haven't really thought of this before, but if I can, I will actually be considering two Akubras (most likely, unless I can score a good vintage equivalent) for Christmas. I may try to talk my grandparents, and parents into getting me one from them of my choosing, maybe I'll even try to spend some of my pocket money if that's a bit much. Two hats I'm thinking of here: acorn fawn Stylemaster as a somewhat dressier hat (I may consider taking this one to Croatia this summer too), and silverbelly Campdraft, that'll be my most casual hat, and will likely be my country/western hat as well. Might take this one with me to Hawaii next time my family travels, along with possibly a canvas hat I won't be afraid of getting wet for those canoes. After this, I'm set with the hats for a while, I think.

If I should only go for one of the lot, I'm more inclined towards the Stylemaster, personally. I'd love to have another rough n' tumble outdoors hat to serve me much in the same way my Fed IV has though.

P.S. Amazing Campdraft there!

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't really thought of this before, but if I can, I will actually be considering two Akubras hat

J.B., the Campdraft will get you...eventually. So don't worry about it, the Campdraft can wait. It's biding its time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike (like when/if the Aussie dollar goes down again, not that I wish that on Australian or anything :p).

Oh, and Rodkins, I know what you mean. I had the same feeling with the Lightning Ridge. Then I started thinking of the hat not as an accessory, but rather a soft, portable umbrella/shield/helmet. Now I've no trouble slapping it on. Then again, hats that look small to average on my noggin look big on others, like those BG CDs of yours and Salty's (don't worry, it's a good thing) :)!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, the Fed IV got soaked in Los Angeles' rainy weather. I was out in the yard doing work, here it is:

Photoon2010-10-19at19442.jpg

Photoon2010-10-19at19422.jpg

It's handled this much rain on a number of other occasions, so I think it'll be fine after drying up further. The pictures were taken just a couple of minutes ago, four hours after I had worn it outside, and it's still wet, but not as bad as it was.

P.S. Yes, about the Campdraft, it's a hat I have an interest in getting, for it's thin-ribbon, country, and more casual qualities. This is also the type of hat I wouldn't mind wearing under rough weather, or getting a little dirty.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'd say it's my most "fun" hat. I love wearing it with jeans and it provides the best Florida sun protection of any hat I own.

Good to know. I'm seriously considering one... it's a competition between a Stetson Nostalgia or Cattleman for my next purchase

I like the bash on that CD!

Thank you, I appreciate all the compliments. It's getting plenty of "positive looks" from people I'm interacting with while wearing it.

I haven't really thought of this before, but if I can, I will actually be considering two Akubras (most likely, unless I can score a good vintage equivalent) for Christmas. I may try to talk my grandparents, and parents into getting me one from them of my choosing, maybe I'll even try to spend some of my pocket money if that's a bit much. Two hats I'm thinking of here: acorn fawn Stylemaster as a somewhat dressier hat (I may consider taking this one to Croatia this summer too), and silverbelly Campdraft, that'll be my most casual hat, and will likely be my country/western hat as well. Might take this one with me to Hawaii next time my family travels, along with possibly a canvas hat I won't be afraid of getting wet for those canoes. After this, I'm set with the hats for a while, I think.

If I should only go for one of the lot, I'm more inclined towards the Stylemaster, personally. I'd love to have another rough n' tumble outdoors hat to serve me much in the same way my Fed IV has though.

The Campdraft will take a little getting used to in terms of size, but once you do it's really great!

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That bash looks great! Digging your various hat/jacket combos (particularly the homburg, but that's for another thread ;)).

Thank you! Yeah that jacket's something I just have to wear, it's so cold here in southern California, of all places... I have a tendency to be cold moreso than others around me. I see people fine in a t-shirt and shorts, and I usually wear pants and a long-sleeved shirt, this fall. The hats are great for the added head warmth though, and stylistically I guess it does look good with a leather jacket. I haven't been called Indiana Jones yet either, just for the record, wearing either Akubra or Stetson. It's not something I mind, but it's nice to know people aren't always vocally making associations with fictional characters.

The Campdraft will take a little getting used to in terms of size, but once you do it's really great!

I'm currently under the impression that if I can wear the Federation IV well enough, then I can handle the proportions of the Campdraft. Besides, I would assume that it'll taper a bit naturally, as my Fed IV has since almost a whole year I have owned it. The Stylemaster though, I have to say that it is quite a safe option for my face's shape, judging from various websites' shaping/styling guides.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Give Helmer's Haberdashers a call when you get ready for your Stylemaster....

.... ask for Louise and order the Mid-Brown Stylemaster. It is a FANTASTIC Dark Chocolate Brown and has a hat band and brim binding to match. A VERY,VERY dressy hat and mine will now be my "coat and tie" lid :)

Neophyte

Thank you! Yeah that jacket's something I just have to wear, it's so cold here in southern California, of all places... I have a tendency to be cold moreso than others around me. I see people fine in a t-shirt and shorts, and I usually wear pants and a long-sleeved shirt, this fall. The hats are great for the added head warmth though, and stylistically I guess it does look good with a leather jacket. I haven't been called Indiana Jones yet either, just for the record, wearing either Akubra or Stetson. It's not something I mind, but it's nice to know people aren't always vocally making associations with fictional characters.

I'm currently under the impression that if I can wear the Federation IV well enough, then I can handle the proportions of the Campdraft. Besides, I would assume that it'll taper a bit naturally, as my Fed IV has since almost a whole year I have owned it. The Stylemaster though, I have to say that it is quite a safe option for my face's shape, judging from various websites' shaping/styling guides.

I don't know why I'm saying this, but I think with that awesome light homburg of yours, you can wait on the silverbelly CD (that is, of course, entirely your decision). The AF Stylemaster sounds like a good choice, and you've been talking about getting a Stylemaster for a VERY long time :).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't know why I'm saying this, but I think with that awesome light homburg of yours, you can wait on the silverbelly CD (that is, of course, entirely your decision). The AF Stylemaster sounds like a good choice, and you've been talking about getting a Stylemaster for a VERY long time :).

Yeah, but now that I've got that light grey homburg, I think I will be holding off on a moonstone Akubra for a while. But the acorn fawn color is good looking, and I feel like I need a tan colored hat. I know the Stylemaster is a dress hat, but it can look casual too in that "less-severe" color. The Campdraft I see myself wearing differently than my homburg though, with jeans, leather jacket (I plan on wearing my homburg with sport coats and a suit eventually), and even western-wear associated clothing can look natural with it. Whatever the case, maybe I'm over-thinking it all.

.... ask for Louise and order the Mid-Brown Stylemaster. It is a FANTASTIC Dark Chocolate Brown and has a hat band and brim binding to match. A VERY,VERY dressy hat and mine will now be my "coat and tie" lid

Thank you for the suggestion! I agree that the mid-brown Stylemaster is a great looking hat, and has a nice, rich brown color. However, I think I'm after a few more colors before getting my next dark brown hat, whatever that may be in the future.

Neophyte

Yeah, but now that I've got that light grey homburg, I think I will be holding off on a moonstone Akubra for a while. But the acorn fawn color is good looking, and I feel like I need a tan colored hat. I know the Stylemaster is a dress hat, but it can look casual too in that "less-severe" color. The Campdraft I see myself wearing differently than my homburg though, with jeans, leather jacket (I plan on wearing my homburg with sport coats and a suit eventually), and even western-wear associated clothing can look natural with it. Whatever the case, maybe I'm over-thinking it all.

Thank you for the suggestion! I agree that the mid-brown Stylemaster is a great looking hat, and has a nice, rich brown color. However, I think I'm after a few more colors before getting my next dark brown hat, whatever that may be in the future.

You most definitely are. It's thinking like that that had me end up with 6 Akubras, only 2 of which I use regularly and a third which I keep as backup lol! I find that a hat is a hat, and trying to buy a specific hat for a specific situation just doesn't work for me. Now my decisions are based mostly on color [huh]...

theinterchange

One Too Many

Well, the CD is a hair bigger feeling than the Federation, at least in my experience. When I bought the silverbelly, it just seemed massive on my head and I was dissatisfied, but that was nearly a year ago and I've since acquired the Bluegrass and while it still feels slightly large, I can "handle" it more... I own the hat, not it owning me.

But, yes if you THINK you can handle a hat, you really can. Having seen the Fed and now your homburg on you, I do agree it'd be a good fit for you.

Randy

P.S overthinking hats are what we're all good for here.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
This morning, I pulled the trigger on a silverbelly Campdraft at AustralianGear.com. I have a carbon gray Stylemaster on the way from them, and at the time I ordered it, they didn't carry the Campdraft, but they added it to their lineup this week -- and for 15% off. And they ship free worldwide, so I picked up a Campdraft for less than $100 all in. Of course, I won't get it until January, but I though this was a good deal. They don't carry it in BG, however ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred