Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
...There's one detail that was a bit of a negative surprise, actually; the hatband has been attached a bit too high, revealing the line of stitches beneath. There's not much I can do about that, but it isn't a distracting feature. Here's a pic:

hattuy.jpg

The ribbon on one of my Squatters has a tendency to creep up in the front now and then. I just gently push it back down. This is easier is your fingers are wet, BTW, so they don't just slide off the ribbon.

Love the dents, Quixote! :eusa_clap

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
The ribbon on one of my Squatters has a tendency to creep up in the front now and then. I just gently push it back down. This is easier is your fingers are wet, BTW, so they don't just slide off the ribbon.

Love the dents, Quixote! :eusa_clap

Yeah, sounds familiar to me too. And great job on the crease!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone own a Boss, Stockman, Overlander, or Snowy River? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, particularly on appearance, crown taper, crown height, and feel (smooth/rough, soft/stiff), if it wouldn't trouble you to share :). Pictures would be appreciated as well. These hats all seem similar, but there aren't many good good pics on the Lounge, and opinions of them vary widely (some say they are stiff as cowboy hats, some say they are the softest hats they own...etc) I will continue searching throughout the Lounge for information, but I figured I might as well drop a query here while I'm at it.
I'm also quite interested in the Flinders.
I know Rodkins has a Boss somewhere around here.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Have you taken a look at the Silver Spur .....

.... that Everything Australian sells? VERY,VERY "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" Duke like !! :) Has the wide brim, lower crown and pinched front you like and it comes in a nice tan color :)

SilverSpur.jpg

Neophyte

Hey, thanks Monbla. Somehow I missed that...I'll add it to my list and search it throughout the lounge. Thanks!!!

...Just checked. That's a 3.5'' brim and a 4.75'' crown. That's bigger than my Campdraft in its current shape! lol This hat also comes Open Crown.
I don't think that will work, but it definitely is a looker. Perhaps when I've branched out into full-blown Western...yeah, this is what I'd go to first. Thans for the suggestion :).

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The Silver Spur is a nice looking western. I wish it was made in the silverbelly color too (or how about an actual "silver" color for that, hmm?), though. I personally like the way it looks in that picture more than the Golden Spur, which has those vent holes.

Neophyte

Yeah, a different color would be great. I'm not to crazy about Santone Fawn.

Incidently, does anyone have any experience with Nungar Trading Co.?

Last edited:

Neophyte

That's a hard choice (at least for me!). Whew...2011. I've already acquired 6 hats this since April, somehow I can't imagine lasting that long :).

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Yeah, a different color would be great. I'm not to crazy about Santone Fawn.

Incidently, does anyone have any experience with Nungar Trading Co.?

It seems that several of our Australian members have recommended them. Vitamin G I believe is one who only recently mentioned them.

And I couldn't last till the new year in terms of hat buying. The wheels are turning in my brain to get the next one now. hehe

Neophyte

Most of that extra green came from selling off stuff. I just discovered Ebay this summer [huh].

Randy, I'm afraid that's how it goes :). As I'm just starting out wearing hats, I've several niches to fill in a short amount of time (I like being crazy prepared)

As for Akubra, I've been awestruck by the Akubra Mexican. Damn...now the race is between The Boss, The Overlander, and the Mexican...sounds like a bad joke lol!

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Most of that extra green came from selling off stuff. I just discovered Ebay this summer [huh].

Randy, I'm afraid that's how it goes :). As I'm just starting out wearing hats, I've several niches to fill in a short amount of time (I like being crazy prepared)

As for Akubra, I've been awestruck by the Akubra Mexican. Damn...now the race is between The Boss, The Overlander, and the Mexican...sounds like a bad joke lol!

Well, the Campdraft came from selling off an unused camera lens, so I'm not stranger to selling to get!

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
For Neophyte-
Here is my Akubra "The Boss"
It is very stiff (to hold that brim it almost has to be) and very much a cowboy hat feel. I probably won't wear it much in Florida do to the color and I really don't feel very comfortable in it (I think it wears me instead of the other way around)
9ef5ca9a.jpg
ac81a45d.jpg
6b1c067a.jpg
21bdecba.jpg
e13d5ecc.jpg
db11e094.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic