Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Good to know. I'm seriously considering one... it's a competition between a Stetson Nostalgia or Cattleman for my next purchase
You are more than welcome to stop by sometime and check out both of them. You also can check out my fishing rod building shop if you care to.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A coupe made by Akubra under licence & for Stetson

This is the made by Akubra for Stetson "Highway". I had never seen one prior to this & have yet to see another. It is rather like on OR w/ a wider ribbon

Stetson_Highway.jpg

StetsonHighwayinside.jpg

This is a Stetson by Akubra Open Road.
Stetkubra.jpg

Link

One of the Regulars
Other than a short introductory post, I've just been lurking here for a few weeks, but I thought I'd join in on this thread after receiving my carbon grey Fed IV yesterday. I ordered it from Hats Direct last Thursday. This is my second fedora, my other is a charcoal grey custom made by Schafer Hat Works in Noble, OK. I think my Schafer hat is a little nicer than the Fed IV, although being custom made, it should be. I simply wanted a less expensive hat with a similar look that could be worn everyday without worrying as much about something happening to the hat, and the cost and waiting time of replacing it if needed. The Fed IV is a very nice hat, the felt seems to be a little thinner than my other hat, and is quite a bit softer. I referred to the sizing chart on the Hats Direct website and ordered a size 58, which is just a tad big, but with the felt added behind the sweatband fits wonderfully. This I believe should allow for a little shrinkage of the sweatband. The hat is very comfortable, and I think it will work perfectly as the everyday hat I intended it to be.

Sorry if the post is a little long, I'm just a bit excited. :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
... and my eBay moonstone Fed IV arrived this morning. Will post pix after I mess with the crown a bit ...

Can't wait to see 'em!

Other than a short introductory post, I've just been lurking here for a few weeks, but I thought I'd join in on this thread after receiving my carbon grey Fed IV yesterday. I ordered it from Hats Direct last Thursday. This is my second fedora, my other is a charcoal grey custom made by Schafer Hat Works in Noble, OK. I think my Schafer hat is a little nicer than the Fed IV, although being custom made, it should be. I simply wanted a less expensive hat with a similar look that could be worn everyday without worrying as much about something happening to the hat, and the cost and waiting time of replacing it if needed. The Fed IV is a very nice hat, the felt seems to be a little thinner than my other hat, and is quite a bit softer. I referred to the sizing chart on the Hats Direct website and ordered a size 58, which is just a tad big, but with the felt added behind the sweatband fits wonderfully. This I believe should allow for a little shrinkage of the sweatband. The hat is very comfortable, and I think it will work perfectly as the everyday hat I intended it to be.

Sorry if the post is a little long, I'm just a bit excited. :)

Not long at all, Link! The Federation may be a little thinner, but certainly no slouch when it comes to toughness! They're an excellent day to day wear hat.

One thing most folks have learned about Akubra, they start a tad large then "magically" conform to your head, so if the size difference isn't too much you'll probably be right on size in no time.

If you can/want to post some pics to show off what you've done with it.

Welcome to the Lounge and the Akubra owners family!

Randy

Link

One of the Regulars
Oh, I have no worry at all about the toughness of the hat, regardless of the thickness of the felt. I did plenty of research here and on other sites before deciding which hat to buy, and Akubra always seemed to come out on top as far as quality and durability in this price range.

I believe I need a few more posts before I can share pictures, but I have taken a few that I can post up when the time comes.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Yeah, I know you didn't seem concerned about the thickness/toughness issue. Just making a statement.

My oldest Akubra, a Fed Deluxe has some damage and is put on the back burner until I get it attended to. What damage? Well, I took and beat the snot out of the hat late last year causing the sweatband's wire "reed" to kink directly center on my forehead. I popped a couple of stitches and removed it, which caused a chain reaction of slowly unraveling the sweatband. It has only recently came to a point where I'm afraid to wear it. I need to contact HD to see if I can purchase a replacement Akubra sweat to send with the hat when I get it replaced.

Oh you can link to photos at any stage, it's mainly the private message feature that requires 15 posts to access.

Randy

1961MJS

Hi Akubra Owners

Is there a chart showing the LONG list of Akubra's color scheme? I found an OLD OLD**16 link to one, but of course it no longer works. I'm considering getting an Akubra, but not necessarily a Campdraft, Stylemaster, Adventurer, or Fed that are usually pictured here.

Thanks

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
'fraid you will have go with what is offered by the hatter you are ....

Hi Akubra Owners

Is there a chart showing the LONG list of Akubra's color scheme? I found an OLD OLD**16 link to one, but of course it no longer works. I'm considering getting an Akubra, but not necessarily a Campdraft, Stylemaster, Adventurer, or Fed that are usually pictured here.

Thanks

.... going to buy from's color chart to pick from. You can go to Akubra's site and see what they currently offer in their hats IN AUSTRALIA, but as to what you CAN GET will be up to what the retailer you are buying from has available.
This applies to styles as well. Camp Draft IS NOT offered by ANY US retailer and different Australian retailers of it in sometimes DIFFERENT colors than are currently stated bt Akubra on thier site. Good luck :)

Quixote

New in Town
Here it is now, my first open crown fur felt, a Carbon Fed IV. I found the process of bashing a lot easier than I expected, and I'm actually quite happy with it already. It needs a little tweaking, but looking good. I went back and forth with a center dent and a diamond, it's currently sort of an Indy bash but I'm quite certain it will fluctuate a lot in time. There's one detail that was a bit of a negative surprise, actually; the hatband has been attached a bit too high, revealing the line of stitches beneath. There's not much I can do about that, but it isn't a distracting feature. Here's a pic:

hattuy.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Quixote , nice bash, nice lid, nice photo. Did I mention it was a nice hat. :D

Enjoy it. I'm sure it won't be your last. There is a Camp Draft waiting in your future.

Link

One of the Regulars
That's the carbon grey Fed IV. I believe it has the 2 3/4" by 2 1/2" dimensional brim, if I remember correctly.

Neophyte

So my LR has been in the "breaking in" process for a little over 2 weeks now, and I'm amazed at the progress it has made, especially since it hasn't rained since I got it [huh]. Here's my assessment of the heritage LR vs my imperial CD: while my CD is more smooth in feel, the LR is definitely softer. The wider sweatband on the LR makes a noticeable difference in comfort. There is still some stiffness in the crown, but a good rain should take care of that. The brim itself is probably the stiffest part, which I don't mind since it's not bound. I happily await for the moment when the brim starts to go "wonky", because the hat will gain major points in "character" at that point. I'm sold on the quality of the heritage line, but admittedly there are not as many styles and choices available...so there's that :). Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred