Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For Neophyte-
Here is my Akubra "The Boss"
It is very stiff (to hold that brim it almost has to be) and very much a cowboy hat feel. I probably won't wear it much in Florida do to the color and I really don't feel very comfortable in it (I think it wears me instead of the other way around)

Sorry to hear that you don't like it. I'm of the opinion that if you could obtain a black jacket or coat for the colder months, this would make a dynamite cold-weather hat. In summer, it would probaby just be a "statement" hat.

Thanks Rodkins for the pics!!! It seems that the brim on the Boss is not rolled as severely as on the Snowy River series of hats. The crowns are the same height as well, and it looks to have plenty of crown. I'm not crazy about the taper, and the crown looks to be more round/circular than would be comfortable on my LO noggin...but the crease and belt buckle look AMAZING :).

Thanks again, Rodkins! That was a huge help!

Last edited:

Neophyte

Alright, here's a new query for my fellow Akubra-owning Loungers: What the hell is Superfine quality fur felt?
I've only heard about it a couple times, and usually about old Squatters...but what is it? Is it a lighter-weight felt?
How would it compare to Imperial or Heritage?

My next hat will either be a Superfine Akubra Mexican in steel grey or a Heritage Akubra Overlander in dark fawn. I'm favoring the the Mexican, but I'd like to know more about "Superfine" as I'm weighing the pros and cons :).

Thanks all for your time!

Last edited:
Superfine is what my Squatter is. Compared to my Imperials (don't gots no Heritage ones), it is about 1/3 less weight, not enough to be 1/2 weight. Finish & texture is about the same. Mine did not have a liner just the sticker in the top of the crown. It also says Featherweight on the sweatband.

Neophyte

Superfine is what my Squatter is. Compared to my Imperials (don't gots no Heritage ones), it is about 1/3 less weight, not enough to be 1/2 weight. Finish & texture is about the same. Mine did not have a liner just the sticker in the top of the crown. It also says Featherweight on the sweatband.

1/3 the weight of my Campdraft? Whew, does it ever touch the ground lol ?

Thanks so much for the info, GTDean :). I knew there were a few Loungers out there with a Squatter or so in Superfine...I had figured it must have been a lightweight felt, but I had also suspected that it might be a "lesser" grade than Imperial and Heritage. It's great to hear that one is the case and the other is not. Thanks again!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Alright, here's a new query for my fellow Akubra-owning Loungers: What the hell is Superfine quality fur felt?
I've only heard about it a couple times, and usually about old Squatters...but what is it? Is it a lighter-weight felt?
How would it compare to Imperial or Heritage?

My next hat will either be a Superfine Akubra Mexican in steel grey or a Heritage Akubra Overlander in dark fawn. I'm favoring the the Mexican, but I'd like to know more about "Superfine" as I'm weighing the pros and cons :).

Thanks all for your time!

I've been all over the web trying to find the Mexican model of Akubra's. Akubra doesn't even list it in their line-up. Do you have a pic of it and what are the specs?

Neophyte

I've only found it in stock at Nungar Trading Co. Yatesmenswear lists it in their catalog, but show that no colors are availabe, which I find dubious.

It looks to me to be very similar to the Cattleman, but with ribbon.

The pic of the Mexican found at YatesMensWear is bigger and shows more detail. It is described as an Outback hat with Spanish flair. The color is describes as "Steel Grey", but to me it looks like a black hat with bright, silvery, grey ribbon, which I find totally mezmerizing :).

AkubraMexican.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think you may be right. Sort of a Dodge / Plymouth "Neon" kinda thing :) ( I'm NOT comparing quality of the car w/the hat :) ) Take the front pinch out and widen the ribbon and you'd have an SRV thing going :)

Neophyte

Um...give me a minute...sorry, the only cars I have much experience with are Volkswagens, Mercedis, and Toyotas lol.

After looking up the cars you mentioned, yes, I'd have to agree :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm putting this post in the "correct" place .... I think :)....

.... here's two more Akubra's that probably would be considered a "grail" hat for Akubra folks :)
First is an Akubra as worn by the NSW Police :

nsw1.jpg

Then the next is as worn by the Queensland Police :

qldmale1.jpg

Any one have an idea where we can pick one of these up :) ?

Neophyte

lol Yeah, you're in the right place :).

These are bizarre...or they would be if they were marketable to the general public. I suppose it's no surprise that Akubra has law enforcement market connections along side its military ones. I'd take the second one if the Police emblem/badge was removed. It would probably come across as really flashy, though lol.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'm putting this post in the "correct" place .... I think :)....

Do I wanna see your photos of Akubra law enforcement hats?

No;)

You're in the right spot... some folks just go to the wrong ones for their temperament. :eusa_doh:

Those are pretty darn cool, but like Neo said... they'd be flashy without the badge.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure they are ONLY sold thru approved Police outfitters ONLY to Police personel. Mabe even contracted for with Akubra as I'm sure the Military hats are. It would be interesting to know if they are made from an existing model/block just in specific colors or if the hats are SPECIFIC models with there own blocks that are not used on any of the retail hats. As for the bands and badges, I'd want mine as the full kit !! They would be just for "collection" not wear :)

Neophyte

Thanks for the info about your experience, Mr. E...doesn't sound good at all, indeed. I'll definitely make sure to contact them and see what's up, as customer service alone might make my decisions a lot easier lol.

As for Monbla, I don't think I've seen another Akubra even close to these. The Queensland almost resembles a Squatter with eyelets, but the first one looks like a snap-brim with a very, very short telescope crown...definitely have not seen anything like these before. Thanks for dredging them from the murky waters of the internet :eusa_clap !

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't think those police hats look bad at all, but to "civilianize" them somewhat, I would have a one inch grey or black ribbon applied instead of the rather gaudy checker-patterns and badges.

The first hat with a narrow dark ribbon would remind me of this:

lee-van-cleef2.jpg

Not a bad look if you've got the nerve, but intimidating nonetheless.

The second hat does look a little more Squatter-esque, by the way.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's another hat and some copy about it and a site link:

slouch-afp1.jpg

Grey fur felt Akubra hat with a black and white diced band and an AFP cap badge. The badge is chromed metal with blue, yellow and red enamel. There are three brass eyelet vents on each side of the crown. The hat has a brown leather sweatband that is stamped in gold with the maker's details. An oval piece of satin marked in black with an akubra logo and has been glued to the interior crown. 'QUIGLEY' has been handwritten in black ink over this. The size '56' is indicated by a tag sewn to the interior sweatband.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/slouch_hat7.htm

This site also covers the whole history of the Australian and New Zealand military "slouch" hat for those interested :) Some neat hats :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy