Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Very nice, monbla. The Bushman doesn't get much representation around here.

Technically though, the R.M IS a Campdraft. And I do agree the "signature" crease is great, but what Rodkins did looks good, too.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Riverina
76b426b0.jpg

78d75903.jpg

ed73612a.jpg

070413a3.jpg

Rodkins,
I DO LIKE that Riverina ALOT :) That double cord braided Kangaroo hat band is not original as it looks like there is a line where a wider ribbon band was ? I like the 'roo band and will get one like that on my Cattleman from DM when i order it. What does Akubra call that color BTW ?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Rodkins,
I DO LIKE that Riverina ALOT :) That double cord braided Kangaroo hat band is not original as it looks like there is a line where a wider ribbon band was ? I like the 'roo band and will get one like that on my Cattleman from DM when i order it. What does Akubra call that color BTW ?
Thanks mon :)
I'm not sure which Akubra green this one was called. I think it is the original band - the lines you see are just there from how the hats were stacked when they were sent to me. In the pic of me wearing it they are gone because I had brushed it.

I love my Cattleman too - it's still one of my favorites.

The original RM crease was cool but it just didn't work for me for whatever reason. I tried to like it on me but it didn't work.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info. ALL three of those hats were GREAT !! Does Akubra still put the red liner in it's domestic market hats as is in the Coober Pedy you have? I know the CP sold by DM over here has the ( I guess) now standard white/silver liner and is sold with a thin ribbon hat band instead of the leather/opal one that is standard in Oz?
VERY NICE trio, VERY NICE :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The towns of Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy are both known for being MAJOR sources of opal gemstones, so it makes sense that the hats named after them both have the opal band. I don't know why DM replaces such a cool band, but to each their own [huh].

Great show of hats, everyone.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That Nulabor Tan is such a nice olive/brown and I feel it has worked with just about all colors and types (except blue pinstripes & Hawaiian shirts:) ) of clothes that I wear. And with the WIDE brim and OPEN crown you have LOTS of ways to make it "your own" :)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info. ALL three of those hats were GREAT !! Does Akubra still put the red liner in it's domestic market hats as is in the Coober Pedy you have? I know the CP sold by DM over here has the ( I guess) now standard white/silver liner and is sold with a thin ribbon hat band instead of the leather/opal one that is standard in Oz?
VERY NICE trio, VERY NICE :)
I'm not sure. I know that my Coober Pedy has a red liner, the RM has a gold liner, my Stylemaster has a pink liner, the Boss and the Sundowner have white liners, my old Cattleman has no liner (just a sticker - it's pretty old), and I can't remember what color the liner is on my Campdraft or Riverina.

Gromulus

Practically Family
.... Rodkins, thanks for showing your "other" Akubra's !! If one were just visiting this Forum ( as I did awhile back) you'd think Akubra only made ONE hat style, the Camp Draft !! I especially liked the Riverina and the R.M Williams (with the original crease though) alot !! To add to the show of variety of Akubra's I'll add some pics of my 3.5 yo Bushman I'm wearing today. Pics were taken after it had dried out from the day before wearing in the rain all day. I had not brushed it out yet. It has been my favorite Akubra style for over 30 years now :)

Bushman1.jpg

Bushmaster2.jpg

I like the Bushman a lot and have been eyeing it as my next general purpose/outdoor activity hat. I have been leaving "hints" around the house in hopes that my family will think this to be the perfect Christmas present for their dear old dad and husband!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the Bushman a lot and have been eyeing it as my next general purpose/outdoor activity hat. I have been leaving "hints" around the house in hopes that my family will think this to be the perfect Christmas present for their dear old dad and husband!
Just have 'em talk to me and I'll convince 'em !! Been wearin' mine out in the rain all day and I love it's big, wide brim as I wear glasses and they don't get wet :) But just remember what they want , horse tradin' always works :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just bite the bullet, fill out the order form and send it off to DM and get a Bushman :) I'm sure you can find a western wear store up there in Tenn. that will do a shaping for you if you want ( for a price I'm sure) as it has enough crown and brim to "cowboy -up" well ! ( take a look at it made into a western hat on DM's site, works pretty well :) ) Or if you have access to a steam kettle you CAN do it yourself !! Besides have you checked the current exchange rate US $ vs Ausie $ are equal now :)

EggHead

Practically Family
Or if you have access to a steam kettle you CAN do it yourself !! Besides have you checked the current exchange rate US $ vs Ausie $ are equal now :)

Akubra is still a good value - $90 for a good hat vs. $180 for a similar Stetson (though I would say that Stetson is fancier in look&feel)

Neophyte

I think that Monbla was just reminding me that at the current exchange rate, I'd basically be paying the same price, whether I ordered an Akubra from DavidMorgan, Noggintops, or an Australian retailer.

Last edited:

Neophyte

What is the difference between Santone Fawn and Sand? Does anyone have side-by-side examples?

Owning an LR in Sand, I can tell you that the color DOES actually look like Sand :).

Here's a link to the Akubra webpage, their "country line" of hats. One hat, the Plainsman, is shown in both Santone Fawn and Sand. The pics are side by side and taken in the same lighting conditions. Hope this helps: http://akubra.com.au/products_country.html

Santone comes off as a sort of dull bronze to me. I like it!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think that Monbla was just reminding me that at the current exchange rate, I'd basically be paying the same price, whether I ordered an Akubra from DavidMorgan, Noggintops, or an Australian retailer.

Anyway, Monbla, your suggestion isn't a bad idea at all. I kinda wanted my first Western to be a Jaxonbilt custom (the cheaper $165 fur blend, which I guess means like 1% beaver lol). It would be like ordering an Akubra, but I get to use a formillion :D!

Hmmm...there may be a Bushman in my future :).
just wanted to point out some realities we all have to deal with in our world:) I know when I was a student I had to make my $s stretch as far as I could ( like we all do these days !) I have heard about Jaxonbilt ( all good) and I'm sure his fur felt hats are probably rabbit at $165.00 which is nothing wrong about that !!
Just remember, if it's a true Western hat, it WILL have more stiffener than the Akubra and you are trying out the Western look and you might find it easier to change with the Akubra should you find it is not you!! Remember, your playing pool so you want to leave youself a shot :) Good luck and enjoy whichever way you go :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL