Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's the Mid-Brown of Akubra's Stylemaster I just got this month....

... which is really not a "mid" anything :) It's really a nice dark chocolate brown which the flash in this pic has lightened up but believe me, it's DARK :)

Squatter1022.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neo,
You know what hat you should get? The Boss of the Plains, or maybe the Sombrero. I think you could rock either of those.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a good choice :) Just DON'T wear the damn thing with Nike's , get a good pair of boots to go with it :) If you've never worn western boots before get a nice pair of Justin Ropers and you'll look just fine :)

I ain't goin' full western yet lol! I'm an integrator.

That said, I don't usually wear sneakers anymore. As a "going off" present for this year of college (sophomore), my dad took me to a shoe store where we found some leather loafers (color is "mahogany"). They are amazing, and cheaper than most of the sneakers I've had over my life, go figure. Much more comfortable :). Also, since I got them at an outlet store, they were even cheaper than their listed web price. SCORE!

Will these suffice? I don't find much use for anything more on a college campus [huh]. http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=5534

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I ain't goin' full western yet lol! I'm an integrator.

That said, I don't usually wear sneakers anymore. As a "going off" present for this year of college (sophomore), my dad took me to a shoe store where we found some leather loafers (color is "mahogany"). They are amazing, and cheaper than most of the sneakers I've had over my life, go figure. Much more comfortable :). Also, since I got them at an outlet store, they were even cheaper than their listed web price. SCORE!

Will these suffice? I don't find much use for anything more on a college campus [huh]. http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=5534

I took a look at your shoes, NICE ! Did you look at those side-gore boots they have, the Nash? Look a LOT like my R.M. Williams Australian Jodphur boots !! Would look good with jeans and a Western hat. I've worn Jodphur boots and Ropers for years. I used to show Tennessee Walkers and American Saddlebreds and VERY familiar with your part of the U.S. from showing up there :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
You have a Born outlet, Neo? I'm not sure if we've got one, but if so, I've gotta check it out. I like their stuff.

I took a look at your shoes, NICE ! Did you look at those side-gore boots they have, the Nash? Look a LOT like my R.M. Williams Australian Jodphur boots !! Would look good with jeans and a Western hat. I've worn Jodphur boots and Ropers for years. I used to show Tennessee Walkers and American Saddlebreds and VERY familiar with your part of the U.S. from showing up there :)

Those Nash do look similar to the R.M's. I like the Hemlock, myself. I just noticed these, though. They appear to have a replaceable sole.

Randy

Last edited:

MarkD

One of the Regulars
That's a good choice :) Just DON'T wear the damn thing with Nike's , get a good pair of boots to go with it :) If you've never worn western boots before get a nice pair of Justin Ropers and you'll look just fine :)

My favorites are Chippewa and I see they are also part of Justin Industries. Very good company.

Neophyte

You have a Born outlet, Neo?
Randy

Not in Knoxville, but in Chattanooga we have this huge outlet store called Designer Shoe Warehouse. Born is one of several brands they carry, and the Blast II was the most comfortable of the casual styles I was looking at. That, along with a Sportsman's Warehouse and an Eddie Bauer outlet, provide me with TONS of options for my preferred city/outdoors hybrid look lol.

Now, to complete that look, I need a huge hat :D!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Not in Knoxville, but in Chattanooga we have this huge outlet store called Designer Shoe Warehouse. Born is one of several brands they carry, and the Blast II was the most comfortable of the casual styles I was looking at. That, along with a Sportsman's Warehouse and an Eddie Bauer outlet, provide me with TONS of options for my preferred city/outdoors hybrid look lol.

Now, to complete that look, I need a huge hat :D!

Ahh. We've got one of those here. I don't visit often, but they have tons of shoes! I typically go for the casual outdoorsy vibe in my wardrobe, it works for me.

I must say that after handling Rodkins' Cattleman yesterday, I've got to have one! I was shying away from the fawn, but it's a really good color for that hat... I guess the sand will have to wait until I get another hat.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ahh. We've got one of those here. I don't visit often, but they have tons of shoes! I typically go for the casual outdoorsy vibe in my wardrobe, it works for me.

I must say that after handling Rodkins' Cattleman yesterday, I've got to have one! I was shying away from the fawn, but it's a really good color for that hat... I guess the sand will have to wait until I get another hat.

The Fawn Cattleman will be my next Akubra after DM get's my Black Squatter to me :) I'll get it from DM and have him put one of his Double Round Kangaroo hat bands on it in place of the stock. It will be my "Dinkum Aussie" hat for me :)

Neophyte

Don't worry, Sand is patient lol!

monbla256 said:
The Fawn Cattleman will be my next Akubra after DM get's my Black Squatter to me I'll get it from DM and have him put one of his Double Round Kangaroo hat bands on it in place of the stock. It will be my "Dinkum Aussie" hat for me :)

That sounds like it will look very sharp, very "dinkum". I can't wait to see the black Squatter as well.
I wonder when Akubra will start selling a "Cork hat" lol?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I used to go to Franklin and Shelbyville and have shown in Louisville, Kentucky and Knoxville, Kentucky back in the 70's. I showed Tenn. Walkers at the Celebration for almost 10 years with some friends back then and showed Saddlebreds in Kentucky and Texas and Oklahoma back then as well. Have'nt swung a leg over a saddle in over 15 years now. Messed my back up with a colt back then and hung the saddle up. :( I think I wa sin your area BEFORE you were born :)

Sorry John, I thought Neophyte had asked about my horse days :) When did you show horses?

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Hats Direct's Customer Care

I emailed HD a few hours ago to inquire about getting a replacement sweat for my Federation Deluxe, and they're ordering me one and it'll be on it's way shortly.

Yes, I could have a hatter replace the sweat with one of theirs, but I absolutely love the Heritage sweatbands and couldn't think of having my hat without it!

Each and every time I've emailed them, they've emailed be back within hours. Just great folks, they are... even when helping you get past your stupidity! :D

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
At the very least, if the Arena has too much taper to my liking, then I've a backup. Screw the Overlander! If I'm gonna go big, I might as well replace the Overlander with the Burke & Willis lol!

Lol, screw the Overlander... Go for what you want, cattleman's crease hats may work very well after all. I have to admit, I find their sand Overlander model very, very nice. It has the look of a teardrop creased 1950s/'60s TV western cowboy hat that one would not find in a Stetson nowadays (almost entirely cattlemen creases), yet it is a genuine outback hat as well. I find this one pretty versatile looking. Hmm, maybe next year I'll look into something like that.

AkubraBroncoQuartz.jpg

Is this the only quartz colored Akubra? That is such a fine, white-ish color. The multicolored band looks a bit flamboyant for me though.

Neophyte

I have to admit, I find their sand Overlander model very, very nice. It has the look of a teardrop creased 1950s/'60s TV western cowboy hat that one would not find in a Stetson nowadays (almost entirely cattlemen creases), yet it is a genuine outback hat as well.
AkubraBroncoQuartz.jpg

Is this the only quartz colored Akubra? That is such a fine, white-ish color.

I like the Overlander in Sand, too, but if I got it I expect that the Lightning Ridge would never get head time lol. I can't have that, seeing as I paid so much for it and I really do love the LR. It's an excellent hat and a tough beater as well. What's holding me back is the crown...it's pretty short, and these hats seem to sit lower than, say, my fedoras. My noggin is large, not just in circumference, and the shorter crowns make my head look kinda wierd lol. There's also the pretty hard curl in the brim on the Overlander, I doubt it will provide as much shade as the others :).

The Bronco does seem to be the only Akubra available in Quartz. The closest colors after it are Silverbelly and Light Sand. The band does seem a tad flamboyant, but then, so does the hat :). Plus, bands can easily be replaced.

I would snap up the Akubra Boss of the Plains in a second, but it's only available on indent from most places, so I'm forced to choose among several of their other models [huh].

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay