Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm...somehow that hadn't occured to me. Try one of the Akubra westerns, and if I like it, save up for a custom from one of the many fine hatters I have recently been introduced to :). Now we're getting somewhere.

Let's see here, the Akubra Woomera has a flared, 4'' brim, ribbon, and an open, shapeable crown, and comes in Imperial felt.
The Stoney Creek has a nice shape, stylish hat band, comes in Imperial felt and great brim shape.
The Overlander has a nice brim shape, lower crown, and comes in Akubra's Heritage felt.

These are my top three. Time to use that search function again lol!

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I modified my Fed IV, and took down the crown just a bit, all the while adding taper to it. Any constructive criticism?

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

Neophyte

Looks good from where I'm sitting :eusa_clap!

Nice close-up of the FedIV, too; it certainly does look like it's seen its fair share of adventures!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. Yeah I think it looks better now, not as "massive." The irony is, that the crown specifications are not far off from a Stylemaster. As a matter in fact, the front and back may be even lower!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Hmmm...somehow that hadn't occured to me. Try one of the Akubra westerns, and if I like it, save up for a custom from one of the many fine hatters I have recently been introduced to :). Now we're getting somewhere.

Let's see here, the Akubra Woomera has a flared, 4'' brim, ribbon, and an open, shapeable crown, and comes in Imperial felt.
The Stoney Creek has a nice shape, stylish hat band, comes in Imperial felt and great brim shape.
The Overlander has a nice brim shape, lower crown, and comes in Akubra's Heritage felt.

These are my top three. Time to use that search function again lol!

I think one of the coolest modern factory western hats I've seen in some time is on the Akubra website homepage... the one where the guy's drinking water in a stream or something. The little downward kick he's added to the front of the crease is awesome looking.

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
I think one of the coolest modern factory western hats I've seen in some time is on the Akubra website homepage... the one where the guy's drinking water in a stream or something. The little downward kick he's added to the front of the crease is awesome looking.
Indeed, that Quartz Bronco is a fine specimen of a hat :).

After a lot of searching/researching, I've narrowed it down to these four:

(1.) The Akubra Arena. Comes in Black and Light Sand.

AkubraArenaBlack.jpg
AkubraArenaLightSand.jpg

(2.) The Akubra Bronco. I like the band on this one, it's got the right dimensions, and it comes in Black and Quartz.

AkubraBroncoBlack-1.jpg
AkubraBroncoQuartz.jpg

(3.) The more traditional Rough Rider, with a two-tassle band and a slightly curled brim at the sides. Comes in Black and Sand.

AkubraRoughRiderBlack-1.jpg
AkubraRoughRidgerLightSand-1.jpg

(4.) Screw the Overlander! If I'm going for big hats like these, I might as well also consider the only Western offering in Akubra's Heritage Collection series of hats: The Akubra Burke & Willis. Comes in Light Sand.

AkubraBurkeandWillis2.jpg
AkubraBurkeandWillis1.jpg

Sorry for the repost, guys. I changed my list up a little bit.

monbla256 said:
My first pick would be the Rough Rider, followed by the Arena. They resemble a lot of the western hats you see down here in Texas And I'm partial to horsehair hat bands !

I have to agree with you on the Rough Rider. I'm partial to the horsehair bands myself, but I'm not so keen on the Arena (only 1 tassle? C'mon! ;))
The Woomera (for the taco brim and open crown) and the Rough Rider are my top choices right now, but who knows what will happen within?

James71 said:
Ive got an Arena. Great hat, but a bit like wearing an umbrella on your head. Feels BIG after wearing fedoras. Mines also well well well worn.....

Thanks so much for the first-hand info. I figured of all these hats, the Arena and Bronco would feel the biggest. The others have the curled brim, makes the less...horizontally overwhelming (?) Thanks!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
First, what is a "taco brim" ? Been wearin' western hats for over thirty wears and have eaten a LOT of tacos here and in Mexico but have NEVER heard or seen what would be called a "taco" brim :) Besides, western hats are supposed to have BIG brims :) At least they do down here in Texas :)
Second, here's my Squatter I posted earlier with some more views:

Squatter1010.jpg

Squatter1013.jpg

Squatter1001.jpg

First, what is a "taco brim" ? Been wearin' western hats for over thirty wears and have eaten a LOT of tacos here and in Mexico but have NEVER heard or seen what would be called a "taco" brim :) ...
It is more of a Southwestern style than a Texas style. I've seen it in pictures of the 1950's in old AQHA & NRHA shows. We call them Taco Shell brim curls. The brims are turned up almost right next to the crown. Goofy looking to me whether then or now...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think you would do good with that Rough Rider. The brim curl is there, but not quite as dramatic, has the horse hair band, and the crown doesn't look quite as high as the Woomera. Maybe you do like high crown styles though.

Neophyte

First of all, Monbla, I LOVE the shape of your Squatter. It looks right at home on your noggin :eusa_clap !

Second of all, GTDean, thanks for covering for me on that "taco brim curl" explanation. The only time I've ever heard of it was while browsing through the "Western, Anyone?" thread :).

MarkD, that's a great idea! I'm not sure about my shaping skills, but that would look smart. That was part of the appeal of the Woomera; the open crown would allow for a lot of versatility. As for the brim, well, I agree with GTDean that it would look goofy (which is why I would try to "calm" it down)...

The Good, despite the pic of the Woomera (awesome name, by the way), it actually comes open crown.

Looks like the general concensus is in agreement with my conclusion: the Rough Rider is the best choice among the Western styles-at least of those that I chose lol.

Neophyte

Hey James71, I was wondering...would you be able to tell me if the Arena has/had much taper when it was new. Most of the hats I'm considering seem to have the exact same crease, so if one has taper, that would pretty much eliminate ALL of them from my list...at which point the Overlander becomes my first choice.

So, if it wouldn't trouble you, would you mind telling me about the Arena? At any rate I thank you for your time :).

James71

A-List Customer
My arena is very tapered these days, but when new it was very much like an American cowboy hat. I'm pretty sure it always had a bit if taper. I'll check out a new one at the hattery for you when I'm next in there.

Neophyte

My arena is very tapered these days, but when new it was very much like an American cowboy hat. I'm pretty sure it always had a bit if taper. I'll check out a new one at the hattery for you when I'm next in there.

I would be very grateful. Thanks so much!

EDIT: Wow! I just found that pic of your Arena in the "Black Hat Brigade" thread. You weren't kidding when you said "well well well worn" lol!

Last edited:

Neophyte

At the very least, if the Arena has too much taper to my liking, then I've a backup. Screw the Overlander! If I'm gonna go big, I might as well replace the Overlander with the Burke & Willis lol!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That's a good choice :) Just DON'T wear the damn thing with Nike's , get a good pair of boots to go with it :) If you've never worn western boots before get a nice pair of Justin Ropers and you'll look just fine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany