Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, the Stockman is essentially the Snowy River with a shorter brim. I'm more keen on the full brim of the Snowy River, and since the Overlander is pretty much the Snowy River in Heritage felt, I figured why not get the Overlander :).
I'm just shifting back and forth between outback/western hybrid and full blown western...[huh]. I'm actually going through the "Western, Anyone?" thread right now, looking for ideas.
I figure that I can handle a western as long as the brim doesn't get any wider than 3.5''. That is as far as I'll go while I still spend the majority of my time on my college campus lol!

Last edited:

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Is this the SAME for EXPORTS ? ( Aus. to US )

No. Customs excise/duties/taxes are imposed at the receiving end. Australia has no say over what your gov't charges you to import something, and we don't get a cent of it.

But that's what customs duty etc is: what your gov't charges you to import something. Nothing to do with the seller or the seller's country.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Try going with a true Western hat rather than an Ausie/Western Hybrid....

Well, the Stockman is essentially the Snowy River with a shorter brim. I'm more keen on the full brim of the Snowy River, and since the Overlander is pretty much the Snowy River in Heritage felt, I figured why not get the Overlander :).
I'm just shifting back and forth between outback/western hybrid and full blown western...[huh]. I'm actually going through the "Western, Anyone?" thread right now, looking for ideas.
I figure that I can handle a western as long as the brim doesn't get any wider than 3.5''. That is as far as I'll go while I still spend the majority of my time on my college campus lol!

.... and a firms hats I can HIGHLY RECOMEND are those made by Peters Bros. here in Ft. Worth, Texas. Their felt used is EXCELENT, finishing is GREAT and all in all they make an EXCELLENT product !! I have an Open Road of theirs that was my Fathers "good" hat back in the 50's (in fact it's there getting refurbed as I write) and another brown 4" brim full - on Western that was my fathers back in the 60's which is next on the list to get refurbed.
Here's a link to their stock styles and site. Take a look ! :)
http://www.pbhats.com/STYLES/Default.htm

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
.... and a firms hats I can HIGHLY RECOMEND are those made by Peters Bros. here in Ft. Worth, Texas. Their felt used is EXCELENT, finishing is GREAT and all in all they make an EXCELLENT product !! I have an Open Road of theirs that was my Fathers "good" hat back in the 50's (in fact it's there getting refurbed as I write) and another brown 4" brim full - on Western that was my fathers back in the 60's which is next on the list to get refurbed.
I'm wearing one right now :)

Neophyte

Then I wouldn't have an excuse to hang out with the Akubra-owners :D!

Thanks for the link, but darn you for making this a harder decision lol!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not really ! It would just broaden your hat scope fanatsticaly :) Besides, you've mainly been hanging out with a small focused on one style Aussie hat bunch (funny how it's an Aussie version of an American Western style :) ) . You've been branching out into true Aussie style hats with your LR, keep going !! And now you can go after some true American Western style hats with an American family hatters here in the West :) Just opening up your horizon :)

Neophyte

Hmmm...a valid point.

Speaking of the LR, I've been mistreating it to achieve more "character", and I think I'm on the way, especially with the uneven front pinch. This hat screams "beater" and I wear it a LOT. It's is really, really comfy :).

Still gotta do some work on the brim. It hasn't rained at a reasonable time of day in a month, my LR is thirsty lol!

DailyHat2.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ya don't need to mistreet a hat to give it character, just WEAR it !! I don't have a hat one that still looks the EXACT same as when i took it out of the box after a year or more of WEARING. All those pics we all drool over of the "good ole days" of hat weraing show hats that have been WORN and as such were probably altered with wear over time. I don't mistreat my hats I just WEAR 'em :) Onward thru the fog :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ya don't need to mistreet a hat to give it character, just WEAR it !! I don't have a hat one that still looks the EXACT same as when i took it out of the box after a year or more of WEARING. All those pics we all drool over of the "good ole days" of hat weraing show hats that have been WORN and as such were probably altered with wear over time. I don't mistreat my hats I just WEAR 'em :) Onward thru the fog :)

If you want "speed age" on the hat, a little roughhousing won't hurt. Especially with hardy Akubras. [I've done it with my Federation]

Randy

MarkD

One of the Regulars

Thanks for the heads up on Peters Bros. Monbla.

Neophyte

Thanks, Randy! The LR is an excellent shade hat; it sits lower on my head than the CD and has a wider brim. The Sand color really is a great color, don't know how I've been keeping it so clean lol.

Don't worry Monbla :D, my idea of "mistreatment" is denting and massaging the felt. I gotta do something to soften it up since Mother Nature doesn't seem to want to throw any rain my way [huh].

Neophyte

Yeah, now I just have to weigh the pros/cons of Peter Bros., Jaxonbilt Hats, and Akubra [huh]...it's gonna be a looooooooong wait 'til Xmas lol!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

MarkD,
My family has bought hats from Peters Bros. since the early 1950's and I just sent a 5x Peters Bros. in Mink w/ a 3.5" brim and an L2 ft.Worth crown up to my son-in-law in Seattle. My daughter and I got it for him as a 40th B'Day present . It is 1/2 wild hare / 1/2 rabbit fur and for the money it is a veritable STEAL at the price they ask !! Makes me think I may look into getting another Peter Bros. this next year :) ( I have 4 of my fathers of which 2 are wearable and 2 are in line for refurb, but after that I will have to get one that will be just "for me" ) :) Give 'em a call, they are nice people to deal with :)

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Yeah, now I just have to weigh the pros/cons of Peter Bros., Jaxonbilt Hats, and Akubra [huh]...it's gonna be a looooooooong wait 'til Xmas lol!

That's just the beginning! There are many custom western makers out there too, some more reasonable than others. Just give it time and get them all! :D

Check out the guys who do movie repros. The one I got was marketed by one company who had a master hatter do the work and the quality is outstanding. You will find more variety there in styles also, more than just cattlemans creases.

Monbla I definitely see them in my future...

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't mean to throw another choice at you Neo but this guy is what I consider top notch when it comes to custom western hats. His version of the Drover is on my short list. http://www.randhats.com/hat_detail.cfm?CID=1000,2002&id=if20l1636vglzr

It's an experience just to visit the place. When I was there, he had hats in various stages of assembly all over the place. He didn't have much to buy off the racks but he does an incredible job of making a custom hat to your specific desire.

Neophyte

Another website in the Favorites lol. Thanks, Bebop :).

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, but we're getting pretty OT :D...if you've got any more suggestions and if it's no trouble, please post 'em in the "Western, Anyone?" thread, and I guarantee I'll see them there. That thread needs a good bump anyways :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24