Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Can't wait to see the pics, Jim!

I enjoyed the videos on Morgan's YouTube channel. They just need to make a few more... maybe "product" videos giving more of a 3D look at them in hand.

Randy

Bebop

Practically Family
I'm waiting for my Stylemaster from AG once they get my size in stock. If they had mentioned on their site that they did not have my size in stock I would have ordered elsewhere but with free shipping, I'm hoping for the best. No hat insert? I wonder what that's all about.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Jim, congrats on the new hat. I've found my Carbon Grey Stylemaster goes with just about anything I want to throw at it. It has been worn with khaki workshirts while working in the yard, goes great with my dark grey or light grey suits.

And since it's getting to hot here to wear a jacket now, is being worn with water business shirt I wear to the office. Current a pale purple pinstripe shirt. And I received a lot of compliments on it with a mid-blue shirt at our gathering point after the emergency evacuation a couple of days ago ;)

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Stylemaster pix

My new lid exposed ...

5123595706_520885e4f8.jpg

5123595532_af737a497b.jpg

5122993129_6e14ba2cab.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That hat looks GOOD on you !! Nice choice! I really like mine and am starting to wear it almost as much as my two other Akubras!! ( Squatter & Bushman) Mine is in what they call a Mid-Brown, a VERY rich CHOCOLATE BROWN. I don't think this model is given much of a fair shake to the seemingly prerequisate CD of Akubra's here. To bad as it's probably one of the BEST Fedora style hats Akubra makes! It's definately SOFTER than the Imperial felt Squatter I have right out of the box! Enjoy it :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've noticed that folks her bring up the low prices.....

.... for their Akubras, especially focusing on the shipping costs. I've not heard anyone mentioning what they pay in duty costs for these hats. They are imported retail items and as such are subject to an import duty. Do the Australian retailers fudge on the green label for imported items I've ALWAYS had attached to packages I've recieved from overseas and claim th item is a "gift" so it is duty free? What is the AVERAGE duty on hats from Australia ? :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear that items purchased from Australia are now DUTY FREE !! Guess I got jipped by R.M. Williams when I ordered my boots 3 years ago and had to pay $20.00 duty on them when I got them !! But then they did not ship them as a "gift" but did declare the retail value on the Customs doune when they were shipped ! :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone around here have a Pilbara? I'm kind of at a standstill between the Pilbara, Overlander, and maybe the Stoney Creek in black. That aztec band looks incredible!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
What Aztec band ? Do you mean the Beaded Indian design on the Stoney Creek? My vote goes for the Pilabra w/ the double ridge braided kangaroo band myself :) But for me if I was going "western" I'd drive over to Houston St. in Ft. Worth and pick up a Peters bros :) One of the benifits of living in Texas !! :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Indeed. I've just heard it referred to as an Aztec band, but I suppose calling it Native American design would be more appropriate [huh]. The Stoney Creek isn't quite my thing, but it's just one of those hats that whose design is so well done and unique...it's a good thing my wallet is being held hostage by my common sense lol.

At this time, the CD fulfills all my needs in a fedora, so I'm looking at outback and western styles. The Pilbara and Overlander, albeit different takes, seem to me as perfectly viable hybrids. The Overlander has the advantage in felt quality, but the Pilbara has the advantage in height...oh well. I have quite a bit of time to make this decision.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
.... for their Akubras, especially focusing on the shipping costs. I've not heard anyone mentioning what they pay in duty costs for these hats. They are imported retail items and as such are subject to an import duty. Do the Australian retailers fudge on the green label for imported items I've ALWAYS had attached to packages I've recieved from overseas and claim th item is a "gift" so it is duty free? What is the AVERAGE duty on hats from Australia ? :)

No duty on my new Stylemaster. My green customs label just has "hat" filled in under "detailed description of contents," with the value listed as well below what I paid. Marked as merchandise, not a gift ...

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Glad to hear that items purchased from Australia are now DUTY FREE !! Guess I got jipped by R.M. Williams when I ordered my boots 3 years ago and had to pay $20.00 duty on them when I got them !! But then they did not ship them as a "gift" but did declare the retail value on the Customs doune when they were shipped ! :)

if it was truly an import duty, R.M. Williams wouldn't have charged you. US Customs would have.

I've never been slugged with customs duties on anything bought from the States. I believe that with the free trade agreement, a lot of those duties were abolished. Or at least thresholded. I have heard that anything over $1k will incur a tax

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Vitamin G,
You are correct, it was U.S. Customs that required duty payment. These were bought in the early 90's ( DAMN GOOD BOOTS BTW :) ) and I had to pay when I went down to the Post Office to pick up my package. I have not ordered anything from Australia since so am not up on current trade practices. Thanks :)

DAJE

One of the Regulars
if it was truly an import duty, R.M. Williams wouldn't have charged you. US Customs would have.

I've never been slugged with customs duties on anything bought from the States. I believe that with the free trade agreement, a lot of those duties were abolished. Or at least thresholded. I have heard that anything over $1k will incur a tax

You're correct that imports under AU$1000 are duty/tax free, so no-one ever has to "mark as gift" or undervalue anything below that price for shipment to Australia. (Shipping is included in the cutoff, so something that cost $999 + $2 postage will put you over the threshold.)

The rules are different everywhere, but my strong recommendation for everyone is to look up the import duties of your own country on your local customs dept's website. It's not like import laws are secrets or anything, and looking them up is much better than relying on guesswork and rumour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy