Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I think my RM Williams is now my most favorite Akubra.
I currently rank them in this order...
RM Williams
Cattleman
BG Campdraft
Stylemaster
Coober Pedy
Riverina
Sundowner
The Boss
22d3e2d3.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat what makes it special? It is listed at $225.00 on the RM Williams sight.

Jeff
The felt is by far the nicest of all my Akubras. Other than that, it seems to have a very nice sweatband and gold liner but everything else is pretty much the same. I think it's pretty much a campdraft, but the brim in back seems to be more fit to turn down rather than up. I changed the crease from the factory RM crease to this one when I got it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
At this link:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.a...d=5EC41D8732AC84A0&productid=1270F753633ABAB4

I get the price as 154.95 AUS

Is this the correct product?

Gooch.
Yep that's it. For me it shows this for the price - Price: USD $222.66
I think they were more expensive when they first came out and you can get them new much cheaper (around $150 or maybe less) now. I bought mine from a fine Fedora Lounger who lives in Canada :) along with my Coober Pedy and Riverina.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
nice choice. I bought one for my dad for xmas. He loved my Carbon Grey Stylemaster when we caught up a while back and was complaining that his old leather hat was giving him red marks & headaches. Shipped it to him in Tasmania yesterday. He doesn't know it's coming - I think he'll be pleased. I hope... :)

I've been enjoying my carbon grey SM for a few months now -- wearing it today, in fact. But I was missing something in the lighter brown range, so I think the acorn fawn will do nicely.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Another Lounger here waiting for a Stylemaster delivery from Hats Direct - only because I couldn't decide between an acorn fawn or a moonstone grey I went for both! They're en route so hoping to have them before Christmas. Well it is a time of giving isn't it!:p

Already have a moonstone Fed, so my SM quandary was between the acorn fawn right away, or the bluegrass green in three months. I'm already waiting on a CD, so I went for the quicker fix ... but I think the BG SM is still in my future ...

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
My Fed 4 says so on the sweatband....

So does mine ... but my Fed III does not note a numeral. The size of the crown is the biggest difference.

BTW, there's a Fed up on eBay right now that claims to be a Fed IV Deluxe but the listing says it's Imperial felt. A closeup of the sweatband shows the "deluxe" wording, but it appears to have the Imperial lining (like in my SM), versus the Heritage lining. Hmmm ...

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Well It looks like from all the replies that I have a Federation III and not a IV. Which is cool, I love the hat and have already gotten alot of complements on it.
Jeff

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Well It looks like from all the replies that I have a Federation III and not a IV. Which is cool, I love the hat and have already gotten alot of complements on it.
Jeff

Looking at your photos again, it appears you have the same Fed I do, model and color, though I put a C-crown in mine. It's definitely a great hat -- I've gotten my share of complements as well. And I was lucky enough to score mine on eBay, too, for a great price ...

EggHead

Practically Family
Question on EA. I ordered a hat (Stockman) from EA and the three months commence around Jan. 29, 2011. Besides the initial acknowledgement email, I haven't got any other notice from them.
Will EA notify me when they ship the hat?

EggHead

Practically Family
I am thinking of pouncing (sanding) Leisure Time, just to experiment to see if I can get a smoother surface. I've searched and read some suggestions here - use extra fine sandpaper, go with the grain. I am thinking of starting with the underside brim first and see how it comes out. Anything that I should worry about? Like, discoloration, increased water permeability. How do you guys do the creases in the crown?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I am thinking of pouncing (sanding) Leisure Time, just to experiment to see if I can get a smoother surface. I've searched and read some suggestions here - use extra fine sandpaper, go with the grain. I am thinking of starting with the underside brim first and see how it comes out. Anything that I should worry about? Like, discoloration, increased water permeability. How do you guys do the creases in the crown?
You can definitely get a smoother finish. Just do it evenly and know when to quit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn