Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
test for echo? :lol:

Called my dad on xmas day. He absolutely loved the Acorn Stylemaster I sent him. Confessed to tearing up a bit when he opened the box. He says he still needs to buy a hat for work. I told him to wear the crap out of the Akubra, it'll take anything he can throw at it. But he wants it to be his good hat. :)

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Just got my acorn fawn Stylemaster from Everything Australian ... and I'm afraid it might have to go back. It looks like the band was sewn too high; it sits about a quarter inch above where the inside of the brim meets the bottom of the crown. Plus, my head's swimming in it, while my four other Akubra 60s fit like a glove. Got an e-mail out to Sam regarding what the next move might be ...

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got my acorn fawn Stylemaster from Everything Australian ... and I'm afraid it might have to go back. It looks like the band was sewn too high; it sits about a quarter inch above where the inside of the brim meets the bottom of the crown. Plus, my head's swimming in it, while my four other Akubra 60s fit like a glove. Got an e-mail out to Sam regarding what the next move might be ...

Sorry to hear about the poor fit, Jim...
As for the ribbon, all my Akubra ribbons slide up a bit, but a good push back down keeps them there for a while. Your case sounds different though. Hope that it all goes well (or at least doesn't get worse).

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
With the arrival Monday of my new Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green I know have three Akubras. They all came open crown so I got to crease them all. So here they are

Federation III on the Left, BG Camp Draft center, and Slouch on the Right.
Akubrafront.jpg

Akubrastop.jpg

Slouch foreground, BG Camp Draft middle, and Federation III Background
akubrasside.jpg

So this is my little family from OZ.

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's some Akubra ephemera for fellow "conessuers" ....
First is a shot of the factory interior showing Neo's Akubra's waiting to get shipped to Tenn. :)

AkubrafactoryKempseyAus.jpg

Next is an Akubra hat box from 1955 !! Would be GREAT to put up my Squatter, Stylemaster in during Panama season in :)

Akubrahatbox1955.jpg

And here's a link to a site showing interior shots of the factory in Kempsey.

http://www.australianexplorer.com/photographs/nsw_architecture_kempsey_akubra.htm

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
They mention old Akubras in the article. I would still like to see a 60+ year old Akubra. Anyone have pics to share? I asked before and nobody responded. Any vintage Akubras around here?

I have a 32 yo Bushman that still gets some use though I don't have any pics. It's VERY dirty, sweat stained, hatband is gone and no longer has it's liner but it's still truckin :) I wear my newer Bushman now out in the general public as it's just a bit more presentable :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have a 32 yo Bushman that still gets some use though I don't have any pics. It's VERY dirty, sweat stained, hatband is gone and no longer has it's liner but it's still truckin :) I wear my newer Bushman now out in the general public as it's just a bit more presentable :)

Did you ever share with us a picture of your older Bushman? I'd like to check it out if you don't mind. I happen to enjoy seeing rugged hats that were well-worn for years.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Did you ever share with us a picture of your older Bushman? I'd like to check it out if you don't mind. I happen to enjoy seeing rugged hats that were well-worn for years.

I don't have a digital camera so I am dependent on getting my pics when a friend comes around and I "borrow" their camera to snap some shots of my hats. In fact that Bushman is up on the shelf in a closet now since I've gotten my "new" one and my others that I am wearing presently. I'll try and remember to drag it down and shoot it the next time I have access to a digital camera :) It really would not meet the criteria for showing here as it no longer is in any sort of PRISTINE condition as all the rest of the folks keep their hats. :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have a digital camera so I am dependent on getting my pics when a friend comes around and I "borrow" their camera to snap some shots of my hats. In fact that Bushman is up on the shelf in a closet now since I've gotten my "new" one and my others that I am wearing presently. I'll try and remember to drag it down and shoot it the next time I have access to a digital camera :) It really would not meet the criteria for showing here as it no longer is in any sort of PRISTINE condition as all the rest of the folks keep their hats. :)

It would probably meet these "criteria" you speak of in the "Hats Fresh From Surviving the Elements"...namely 30+ years of use!

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
My new acorn fawn Stylemaster

Worked out my issues on this hat with Sam at EA (see previous post) and it has officially joined my roster ...

5333606603_d811979747.jpg

5333606649_8aba8c76bd.jpg

5333606525_d87324426e.jpg

Interesting how the color looks different depending on how the light hits it. Unlike my previous Akubra 60s, I had to put spacers in the sweatband until it shrinks a bit with wear.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Worked out my issues on this hat with Sam at EA (see previous post) and it has officially joined my roster ...

Interesting how the color looks different depending on how the light hits it. Unlike my previous Akubra 60s, I had to put spacers in the sweatband until it shrinks a bit with wear.

Looks good! I have one in my stable as well. The Acorn color is a real chameleon.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Jim,
That Fawn is a GREAT color. Might make me have to go do the "Australian connection" method to get one !! I have a Mid-Brown I got from John Helmer in Portland last year and find it on my head 3 out 7 days a week. It's a very versatile style and size all around. Once it has it's first couple of good rain wears and settles in to fit ya better I think you will like it as much as I like mine! It fits your head shape and size well :) Onward thru the fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn