Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm afraid that the only place I've ever seen a picture of a Federation I or II was Club Obi Wan, and even then, I can't remember the thread name for reference. They're of the taller, almost Fed III sort of hats though. I don't remember them being quite the height of the Fed IV.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
2000th post! I truly spend too much time here lol.

As to you question, I think it's because the Akubra Outback/Western hats aren't as popular as their fedoras. I never liked the looks of the SR, myself, especially when I could get the identical, Heritage quality Overlander from DavidMorgan. It's just not in high demand.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
2000th post! I truly spend too much time here lol.

As to you question, I think it's because the Akubra Outback/Western hats aren't as popular as their fedoras. I never liked the looks of the SR, myself, especially when I could get the identical, Heritage quality Overlander from DavidMorgan. It's just not in high demand.

I think they are more popular, actually, but I think that they are around in much greater supply. Not as much of a market with the people who peruse ebay.

Neophyte

I think they are more popular, actually, but I think that they are around in much greater supply. Not as much of a market with the people who peruse ebay.

You're right. I should have clarified. I meant to put across that among the members here, I have rarely seen the outback/western hybrids. The outbacks for sure, the westerns not so much, but the hybrids even less so.

RBH

Bartender
Does anyone have the Federation I or II? I am curious what changes they made over the series.

Here is a shot of me in my Federation from the 2007 Memphis get together.
I have since had Mike Moore cut the brim to 2 5\8s and put a bound edge on it.
It is now creased more like a Whippet.

rustyandjackietx8.jpg

here it is now.

hpim5155.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

That hat looks great (before and especially after) RBH! The Federation has sure gotten smaller over the years.

As for my next Akubra, I've thought long and hard. I will probably get the Cattleman in either Glen Grey/Mid-Grey or Sand.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
rustyandjackietx8.jpg

Was the Campdraft not available back in 2007?

The Campdraft was available IN AUSTRALIA as it is the renamed Open Road that Akubra used to make for Stetson under license for several decades. It STILL is an Australia ONLY model which is why it has to be ordered from the Aussie retailers on the 'net.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The Campdraft was available IN AUSTRALIA as it is the renamed Open Road that Akubra used to make for Stetson under license for several decades. It STILL is an Australia ONLY model which is why it has to be ordered from the Aussie retailers on the 'net.

This is all well-known here. I think that Tone was making a joke as to how it could be even remotely possible that Rusty would be wearing an Akubra other than a thin-ribbon...;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Monbla -- your own post reminds me that I'm not sure I ever put a link here for the Stetson/Akubra Open Road thread, which provides some more information about the relationship between the Stetson Open Road and the Akubra Campdraft...

Cheers,
JtL

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks JtL I will give it a read for sure !! I have meant to tell you how much I have enjoyed your recent very informative posts. That's the stuff that a site like this needs so much more of :)

Duck

Practically Family
Here is a shot of me in my Federation from the 2007 Memphis get together.
I have since had Mike Moore cut the brim to 2 5\8s and put a bound edge on it.
It is now creased more like a Whippet.

rustyandjackietx8.jpg

Man, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yep; it's an RBH "spotted in a wide-ribbon" thing. That's pretty much it. Though, I guess it doesn't apply as he's had the Modern Whippet since modifying that Federation for a while now, too. :)

[quote="monbla256]The Campdraft was available IN AUSTRALIA as it is the renamed Open Road that Akubra used to make for Stetson under license for several decades. It STILL is an Australia ONLY model which is why it has to be ordered from the Aussie retailers on the 'net. [/quote]

Monbla, the Campdraft/Open Road thing is well known. Even a mild search here will turn up any info you might be more curious to find. It comes up on several active threads daily; hard to miss.

Last edited:

Neophyte

For those of you that remember that period of daily transformations of my Tawny Campdraft, here's the most recent transformation. It's sort of like a slanted gus/cattleman hybrid. I call it a "Cattlegus." ;) I really like it!

TawnyFawnTransformation1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred