Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Or, a little water and some flat weights will remove any brim curl.

That works well as well as A LOT of RAIN :) ALL my Akubra's get their final "tweaking" shape wise after going thru a few really GOOD rain drenchings. ( I mean SOAKED till the WHOLE hat is wet almost thru ) or as has recently been the case with my new Cattleman, two thourough submergings in a stock tank out at the stables where I had been wearing it ( the horse I have been working DOES NOT like my Cattleman, Knocks it off EVERY time I have worn it around him. Doesn't pay ANY attention to my Bushman though. Go figure :) ) Akubra's LIKE water :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Stockman does have a noticeable upward curl on the brim sides... and a slight downward curl front and back. The Cattleman is curled down slightly all around. Frankly, 99% of everyone who's seen either of them has assumed that they're "cowboy hats". Explaining that they're actually Australian outback hats generally results in a blank look...

Anyway, I like the Stockman alot - it's been my cool weather hiking hat for nearly four years, and although I've worn the heck out of it, it's held up beautifully: the only signs of wear are inside (all the gold lettering wore off the sweatband, and there are sweat stains on the lining)... It was new in this picture, but it looks the same today.

STOCKMN1.JPG

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried something........um...new, with the TF Campdraft today:

untitled1.jpg

I think that, if the crown were 1.5'' shorter and the brim were wider (either flat or kettle curl), this hat would look awesome!

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I tried something........um...new, with the TF Campdraft today:

untitled1.jpg

I think that, if the crown were 1.5'' shorter and the brim were wider (either flat or kettle curl), this hat would look awesome!

Yeah... I don't like this one. Fun try though. How about a sideways cattleman's crease? That would be fun.

Neophyte

Sideways cattleman's crease? O.K., that's just wrong, and the cattleman's crease ain't my favorite.

Just bein' me

It actually ain't half bad. The center dent in the cattleman crease adds some nice reverse taper to the crown, and the side (well, in this case, the front and back) dents don't detract much from the look. Unfortunately I don't have enough crown height to make it look good, but I got a rudimentary sideways cattleman going in this hat. lol

warbird

One Too Many
So really just the front part of a Peak or Oreano....a tightly pinched Rimrock?
This is the Oreano that I put on the Frankenstetson a while back after watching There Will be Blood...
oreana1.jpg

oreana2.jpg

oreana3.jpg

That is also referred to as a Montana crease with a mule kick. :)

Though a mule kick is usually less defined than that. Looks like a fist bash in the back of the hat. Nice vrease on that one.

1961MJS

But WHICH Cattlemans crease ? Aussie or US ? :)

Onward thru the Fog :)
Hi again, it don't matter, sideways, its JUST WRONG. WRONG I tell ya!!!

Just got out of a really sucky meeting. I feel better now. I like the Oreano crease though. I think that it needs to be on a slightly larger brim though, at least looking at that picture. I may need a hat with that crease too.

Later

Last edited:
That is also referred to as a Montana crease with a mule kick. :)

Though a mule kick is usually less defined than that. Looks like a fist bash in the back of the hat. Nice vrease on that one.

Some of the crease examples I have seen have the Montana as what is now called the Gus crease since Lonesome Dove.
Here are a couple examples of a chart that I have seen many times = http://www.davebrownhats.com/products_f.html & http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page43.html
I've heard it called a Montana Peak with a Mule kick.
Mine is more of a Clydesdale kick!!!

Neophyte

Hi again, it don't matter, sideways, its JUST WRONG. WRONG I tell ya!!!

Just got out of a really sucky meeting. I feel better now. I like the Oreano crease though. I think that it needs to be on a slightly larger brim though, at least looking at that picture. I may need a hat with that crease too.

Later

That's what I thought as well. A shorter crown and wider brim would suit that crease just fine. I hope the rest of your day goes better than that meeting :).

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Having recently watched Crocodile Dundee, I was wondering if anyone here knew if his hat was an Akubra. If it was, what model could it have been? The only clue I see on it was the three vent holes on the sides arranged in a triangle.
I thought it might be their Downunder model bit it doesn't have the vent hole in the sides.
crocodile_dundee_xl_01-film-a.jpg

Any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari