Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I would've, but when I checked they didn't have it in my size. Go figure.

What size do you wear? I wear a 59 and always order a 60 as they always "fit down" in size for me. But then I tend to wear most of my felts in the puoring rain, even have been known to let a horse or two knock 'em into a stock tank, then they fit PERFECTLY :)

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
For those looking for a Black Akubra, David Morgan has the Black Squatter on sale for $96.00 right now. At that price, I have ordered one for myself :)

And it looks like the black one doesn't have the grommet hole common to DM Squatters. I enlarged the images of the black hat and didn't see it above the ribbon bow like in the other colors sold by DM.

I just might grab one -- going to a Blues Brothers tribute concert this summer and I don't have a black fedora ...

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Just received my DM Squatter. Already working on the crease. The chin-strap grommet seems to be more hidden on the black than on the other colors sold by DM, which is good; I had always intended to buy from Down Under when I decided on a Squatter, to be grommet-free, but the DM sale price and online pix changed my mind. My first experience buying with DM, and they seem to be first class all the way -- well packed, timely shipping, great documentation, free felt pads. Wish they sold more of the models available only in Australia, since DM seems increasingly to be a better buy with the current exchange rates.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just received my DM Squatter. Already working on the crease. The chin-strap grommet seems to be more hidden on the black than on the other colors sold by DM, which is good; I had always intended to buy from Down Under when I decided on a Squatter, to be grommet-free, but the DM sale price and online pix changed my mind. My first experience buying with DM, and they seem to be first class all the way -- well packed, timely shipping, great documentation, free felt pads. Wish they sold more of the models available only in Australia, since DM seems increasingly to be a better buy with the current exchange rates.

Got mine today as well. Now you know why I've bought from DM for over 30 years now :) As for those "grommet" holes, when I put the hat on, I don't see 'em so they don't bother me :) As you said, some models are sold "only in Australia" as is dictated by Akubra as to what they will export. :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Do Squatters have grommets? I didn't know that. I might get a Squatter, but I'm not a grommet fan. But besides that, how do you like the Squatter? Too big a brim, or can you handle it OK?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Do Squatters have grommets? I didn't know that. I might get a Squatter, but I'm not a grommet fan. But besides that, how do you like the Squatter? Too big a brim, or can you handle it OK?

Like I said, you can't see 'em when it's on you head :) As for brim size, it's a 3" bound brim which is a 1/4" smaller than that on my Bushman and I find NEITHER to large IMHO :) Here's my Fawn Squatter on my head.

11-8-10004.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many

The Aussie Squatters do not have grommets. I personally found the squatter brim to be slightly disproportionate to the hat itself, too wide for a lower crown, but so many around here like 'em as is.

Randy

danofarlington

The Aussie Squatters do not have grommets. I personally found the squatter brim to be slightly disproportionate to the hat itself, too wide for a lower crown, but so many around here like 'em as is.

Randy

Thanks for the responses, all. Monbla256, I think you're an exception to the size rule--the Squatter looks like a Whippet on you for some reason. Interchange, your comment is the kind of thing I want to know. Actually that makes me like the hat more because I like wide brim-low crown.

Neophyte

The models with grommets are mainly sold by DavidMorgan. They allow for the attachment of the chinstrap that DM offers. Practically every other version does not have the grommets. Don't worry about 'em.

As for the Squatter's brim-to-crown ratio...keep in mind that it probably wasn't originally intended to be a dress hat. I do find the DM version in Moonstone to be very, very appealing however. However they crease it in their photos, it looks incredible.

At any rate, Jim, can't wait to see the pics of the Black Squatter. The only other Lounger I know of who's sported on of those is the Squatter King, CRH. His squatter once saved his face from mutilation when he fell into a patch of barbed wire! And still looked great coming out of it!

There is also a rather bizarre Squatter out there owned by member FatDutchMan. It's tall and has reverse taper! Never seen another like it [huh].

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the responses, all. Monbla256, I think you're an exception to the size rule--the Squatter looks like a Whippet on you for some reason. Interchange, your comment is the kind of thing I want to know. Actually that makes me like the hat more because I like wide brim-low crown.
Thanks . Here's a pic of just the hat a bit more on the level so to speak. It has a center dent front pinched crease, my favorite for a felt. :)

Squatter1013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner