Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
If you want faster service, many of the Aussie retailers have waiting periods up to 3 mo's depending on size and color of style they have in stock, try David Morgan up in Seattle, he's the US importer for Akubra and usually has almost all his hats IN-STOCK. He usually gets a hat to you in 3/4 days and has one price for shipping for ANY style of Akubra he carries. Here's a link for ya :

http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2_22

Ah yes, good ol' DG. I've seen his hat primers on Youtube and he seems like a great guy.

I really, really want one in Dark Brown but I fear it will be too hot (seriously, we sweat bullets at my job). Just how well does fur breath?

Man I feel like a noob today. :rolleyes:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I live in Texas and when it gets above 70 degrees, my felts go in there boxes and out come the straws till about December. The Cattleman is a good substantial felt and if you sweat alot as I do, it will get sweated through and no matter what color, will be hot. That's why they make Panama's :) I have a Cattleman and two Bushmans from DM, one I got over 32 years ago and they are sweated in, been stepped on by horses, taken dunkings in stock tanks and they still look good !! My cattleman is the Fawn color and after two dunkings in a stock tank I have pulled out the liner and it does cool it off just a bit, but I still wear a straw most of the summer:)

Panda Moanium

New in Town
My new Cattleman in fawn arrived yesterday.

25aa2.jpg

Very happy with it. Fitted perfectly out of the box. It's a bit darker in colour than it shows on most of the websites but I like it. Very hard to get the colour right in photos though - it's a darker brown than it shows in the above image. Here it is with a Stylemaster in Acorn and a Banjo Paterson in Heritage Fawn which is a little closer to the actual colour.

08065.jpg

I was worried that the 83mm brim might be too wide, but I don't think I'll have any problem with it...in outdoor environments. Definitely not a town hat!

It's by far the hardest felt I've got so far - feels like it could put up with a far amount of abuse. Already its got a thorough soaking thanks to a torrential rain shower and is drying on my head as I type. Will be interesting to see if it softens it up any.

Another Banjo in charcoal and a Jackaroo in Santone are on order, but after that I could see a second Cattleman in Sand could well be on the wishlist.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Very nice :cool:. Damn, that is one handsome lid. And your pic shows the color beautifully.

Definitely getting me one of these once the weather cools down.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Very nice :cool:. Damn, that is one handsome lid. And your pic shows the color beautifully.

Definitely getting me one of these once the weather cools down.

Thanks, though my reason for getting the Cattleman was because the weather was warming up...which is of course a relative term depending where you live (75-80F would be considered a scorcher here). Because it's not lined and has eyelet vents I'm figuring it should be cooler than other felt hats.

Either way its a fine hat and I'm delighted with it.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Thanks, though my reason for getting the Cattleman was because the weather was warming up...which is of course a relative term depending where you live (75-80F would be considered a scorcher here). Because it's not lined and has eyelet vents I'm figuring it should be cooler than other felt hats.

My Catteman (also in Fawn) and my Bushman are my favorite outdoor hats for hiking, camping, inclement weather, etc. The unlined Cattleman is also slightly cooler in warm weather.

Enjoy!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My new Cattleman in fawn arrived yesterday.

25aa2.jpg

Very happy with it. Fitted perfectly out of the box. It's a bit darker in colour than it shows on most of the websites but I like it. Very hard to get the colour right in photos though - it's a darker brown than it shows in the above image. Here it is with a Stylemaster in Acorn and a Banjo Paterson in Heritage Fawn which is a little closer to the actual colour.

08065.jpg

I was worried that the 83mm brim might be too wide, but I don't think I'll have any problem with it...in outdoor environments. Definitely not a town hat!

It's by far the hardest felt I've got so far - feels like it could put up with a far amount of abuse. Already its got a thorough soaking thanks to a torrential rain shower and is drying on my head as I type. Will be interesting to see if it softens it up any.

Another Banjo in charcoal and a Jackaroo in Santone are on order, but after that I could see a second Cattleman in Sand could well be on the wishlist.

That second pic I think shows the Fawn color well IMHO. Mine is the same color and as a US model came with a liner which I have pulled out since I got it. After two total imersions in a stock tank, it has softened up quite nicely. I think you will like it well. Next you need to get a Bushman from DM :) Same quality of hat :)

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Thanks monbla256, I think I'm going to enjoy this hat. I've looked at DM before, unfortunately the cost of shipping from the US just doesn't make it feasible financially compared with going direct to source country. But I regularly check out prices and exchange rates just in case.

I know from your previous posts that your Cattleman has had loads of abuse and is still smiling, hoping mine will be undergoing similar experiences in the not too distant future!

Duper

Practically Family
Seth and Panda, congrats on the new lids. I have a BG Camp Draft and love it and a Cattleman calls my name at times. I like the comparison photo for the colours you took Panda. Good to know.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face

Hehe. 75-80F is an average day here in So.Cal. "Hot" around here is 85+.
Loving the Fawn color. Yours is the first pic to really show it's true hue. Maybe it's time to splurge a bit (more)...

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I think it's time to purchase my first fedora. Based on everything I'm reading, an Akubra would be an excellent choice. I have the selection narrowed down to one of three: A Stylemaster in moonstone, a Stylemaster in acorn, or a Bogart in carbon gray. There are plenty of headshots of both Stylemaster colors, but I haven't found any pictures (other than the vendor photos) of a Bogart in carbon gray. Would anyone have a headshot of any style Akubra in carbon gray? I'm thinking that the carbon looks very dark, and that I might be better off with the Stylemaster in moonstone as my first fedora.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The carbon grey is a little more formal in appearance than the acorn and moonstone. If you dress casually much then I would suggest one of the acorn or moonstone colored hats as compared to carbon grey.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think it's time to purchase my first fedora. Based on everything I'm reading, an Akubra would be an excellent choice. I have the selection narrowed down to one of three: A Stylemaster in moonstone, a Stylemaster in acorn, or a Bogart in carbon gray. There are plenty of headshots of both Stylemaster colors, but I haven't found any pictures (other than the vendor photos) of a Bogart in carbon gray. Would anyone have a headshot of any style Akubra in carbon gray? I'm thinking that the carbon looks very dark, and that I might be better off with the Stylemaster in moonstone as my first fedora.

Bieng a Stylemaster fan, I own 3, and depending on the predominate colors of clothing you'd wear it with, my choice would be either the Acorn or Mid-Brown as both colors work well with earth tones or Blues/Grey/Blacks. The Moonstone is really more of a light sort of Powder Blue color. Here's a pic of the Mid-Brown which I wear with just about ALL colors and either with suits or casual clothes. John Helmer up in Oregon carries it here in the US. I got my Acorn and Grey from David Morgan in Seatle.

11-8-10011.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing regarding the carbon being formal. I rarely dress formally - can't remember the last time I wore a suit. Always khakis or jeans. Difficult decision between the acorn and moonstone - I like them both. My wife prefers the acorn, and the teenage girls like the moonstone. I could suggest both for Father's Day, but I'm thinking I'll be lucky to get just one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana