Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Swagman said:
For those of you that have purchased several Akubras, how consistent do you find the sizing? I should be a 55, but have ordered a 56 thinking I should go slightly larger to accommodate some future shrinking, but it seemed far too large even with some band filling. So the next round I went with a 55, but it's way too tight. Going to try a stretcher on that one. In retrospect it seems like I got a big 56 and a small 55.

How much play does there seem to be in the sizing from Akubra. I'd like to get a Stylemaster, but don't know if I should go to what my head measures (55) or what is the safer bet of 56.

The Akubras I have purchased new run a little large until worn a couple of times and they do get smaller and fit perfectly. I am a true 7 1/8th. The ones I have picked up used have run true to size.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Swagman said:
For those of you that have purchased several Akubras, how consistent do you find the sizing? ...

I measure right at about 23" and wear a 59 in Akubra. Both the Campdraft and Fed IV came a tad large. Not too large, just enough. My Campdraft now fits perfect, the Fed IV just needs more wear to conform to my head. I have a Squatter in size 59, from eBay, that was a little snug. I've found out that the Squatter is made more round. I had to stretch it a little, but now the fit is good.

univibe88

One Too Many
Chuck Bobuck said:
I measure right at about 23" and wear a 59 in Akubra. Both the Campdraft and Fed IV came a tad large. Not too large, just enough. My Campdraft now fits perfect, the Fed IV just needs more wear to conform to my head. I have a Squatter in size 59, from eBay, that was a little snug. I've found out that the Squatter is made more round. I had to stretch it a little, but now the fit is good.

My head measures exactly 23" The Campdraft in Akubra size 59 is too big for me. I bought a size 59 and 58 and kept the 58. It fits perfectly.

Akubra seems to know their hats run big. The Hats Direct sizing chart says 59=23 1/4 and 58=22 7/8. Many sizing charts list 59=23". Although 59cm = 23.2283" It's all confusing.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
My head measures exactly 23" The Campdraft in Akubra size 59 is too big for me. I bought a size 59 and 58 and kept the 58. It fits perfectly.

Althought Akubra seems to know their hats run big. The Hats Direct sizing chart says 59=23 1/4 and 58=22 7/8

The Campdraft fell to my ears when I first got it. I carefully steamed around the base of the crown, inside and out. It was still a little big until I wore it a few times. Soon, it was a perfect fit. The Federation was not quite as big.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
The size issue has been the one point (other than funds), which have kept me from ordering a Fed...I really want to make sure I get the right size, and not have to deal with returning and waiting for another...[huh]

Fed IV sizing

The fed Iv's do run a bit small. I orderd a fed IV and campdraft both in a 58, the fed IV fits like a glove, could be a hair larger, and the campdraft was a little large, took ~6" of foam strip to tighten it up.

Hats Direct was great to work with, they asked for several different measurements and it all worked out great, for me anyway.

-Rob

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Sporting my Snowy River...My first real hat...:D
snowy-jack3.jpg

Ok Bob...I added a bigger picture...:D

rrog

A-List Customer
Akubra Stylemaster

My Akubra Stylemaster arrived Saturday. It's the mid-grey, size 58 cm. I haven't done any work on it, other than to flip down the front brim.

100_0244.jpg

100_0242.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0246.jpg

I wore it to a Christmas party Saturday night, to church yesterday and all day today. I'm liking it so far.

rrog

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Stylemaster looks good, rrog.

Colby, got any bigger pictures of that Snowy River? Man, it's a big stretch for me to see that one.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
The size issue has been the one point (other than funds), which have kept me from ordering a Fed...I really want to make sure I get the right size, and not have to deal with returning and waiting for another...[huh]

Colby Jack, That was my concern also. Hts Direct claim they run 1/2 cm small and others claim they do not. I wrote Hats Direct and they had me measure my head with a cloth style tape measure a couple different ways. First, by pulling the tape uncomfortably tight, then tight, but not as tight.
Based on the measurements I gave them, they advised I stay with a 59cm, which in my case was the same as the Campdraft. It was just a tad large, but right about where I wanted it to be. It was a little smaller than the Campdraft which fits perfect after wearing a few times.

BTW, I love the bash on your SB Campdraft.

Swagman

New in Town
Sizing thanks

Thanks for the comments on sizing. I'm still not sure if I'm better off stretching a 55 or building up a 56. The Stylemaster looks good rrog. I was wondering what the "Mid Grey" color was like and you answered that too.

Mr. Paladin

Your Stylemaster does look good, rrog. The styling looks good on you. I like the grey and it seems to be a very versatile color.

I am interested in the sizing discussion as well because I want to order a couple Akubras but my size is a pain enough as it is; somewhere between 6 7/8 and 7, depending on the manufacturer. I really don't want to get jammed up with a hat or two to send back that far, but I have to decide which size before the grey Campdraft order gets going, if they do.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
rrog, you said that you haven't done any work on the Stylemaster, other than flipping the brim, and I'd say that you don't need to. It looks great!

jec

One of the Regulars
RROG -- I agree with all the other comments: your Stylemaster looks great. The style fits you well. And I am glad to hear that your wait is over.

MR. P -- My experience with Akubra is that the sizing is not entirely consistent from style to style. My new Stylemaster fits me well in size 59 (with some padding on the sides to accommodate my LO head), but I have a Riverina in in 58 that essentially fits the same way- and also an Angler in 58 that has to be kept on a stretcher to keep it large enough to fit comfortably. And a Cattleman in 58 that still needs to be stretched. I would recommend that if you have any doubts, order large and pad the sweatband.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Ahhhh...yes...that cowboy hat in the background is a Resistol "Redford" in 2x wool. The creepy pic is something I did called "The Thing in the Drain"...:D
I also have another Resistol "Hondo" in black 2x wool...I'll have to shoot some pics and post those in the western thread...[huh]

Mr. Paladin

jecoe@earthlink said:
MR. P -- My experience with Akubra is that the sizing is not entirely consistent from style to style. My new Stylemaster fits me well in size 59 (with some padding on the sides to accommodate my LO head), but I have a Riverina in in 58 that essentially fits the same way- and also an Angler in 58 that has to be kept on a stretcher to keep it large enough to fit comfortably. And a Cattleman in 58 that still needs to be stretched. I would recommend that if you have any doubts, order large and pad the sweatband.

Thank you for the advice. It seems to be the consensus among a good many Akubra owners that the hat will generally shrink with use to a good fit, with the use of padding in the meantime. I guess I will just have to give it a try and hope for a good result.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Here's the Akubra Adventurer (Not David Morgan's)...softest, floppiest hat I have...it ran a little tight.
Adventurer-Jack1.jpg

I really wish they still sold this hat...I'd get another one size larger...:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara