Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As promised, here are the additional pics of the Lightning Ridge.

LightningRidge1.jpg

LightningRidge5.jpg

LightningRidge2.jpg

LightningRidge6.jpg

LightningRidge4.jpg

LightningRidge3.jpg

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I have a Lightning Ridge in Sand. I took a bunch of pics of it today because I'm going to place it in the Classifieds soon. I'll post some pics here, but here's an old headshot for now:

LightningRidgehat2.jpg

Love the hat, even though it's not the best looking on me. The Heritage felt has become extremely soft and smooth since I bought it last November. Those Heritage sweatbands are nice and wide (one of my favorite parts about the hat. Overall, it's a great lid, and I'd highly recommend if taper's not an issue.

that looks really good on you, Neo :)

Duper

Practically Family
I just don't suit a brim any bigger then what comes on a Campdraft so I ordered this Tablelands with the brim trimmed down to 70mm and it came from the factory with the bound edge. I am of the understanding that the new production manager at Akubra doesn't approve of these customizations so I was lucky to get in under the wire.

6071332723_66e62eb192_z.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just don't suit a brim any bigger then what comes on a Campdraft so I ordered this Tablelands with the brim trimmed down to 70mm and it came from the factory with the bound edge. I am of the understanding that the new production manager at Akubra doesn't approve of these customizations so I was lucky to get in under the wire.

6071332723_66e62eb192_z.jpg

The hat has very good dimensions for you. Good choice. I like the color too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't approve of customizations? How in the world could that possibly adversely affect Akubra's production manager? If people look better in their hats, you'd think that would be a plus for business. Looks nice, by the way.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Doesn't approve of customizations? How in the world could that possibly adversely affect Akubra's production manager? If people look better in their hats, you'd think that would be a plus for business. Looks nice, by the way.

He's in charge of producing multiples of the same hat in a range of sizes on a timetable based on orders placed by multiple retailers and importers. He DOES NOT run a CUSTOM one-off hat shop. It's a small business and I'm sure margins are low so ANYTHING not in the norm of planned production can have an effect.

Duper

Practically Family
He's in charge of producing multiples of the same hat in a range of sizes on a timetable based on orders placed by multiple retailers and importers. He DOES NOT run a CUSTOM one-off hat shop. It's a small business and I'm sure margins are low so ANYTHING not in the norm of planned production can have an effect.

You hit the nail on the head monbla256. It would be nice if Akubra offered 2 options for brim width on their top 10 models. Some of us prefer the narrower brim. I once asked Hats Direct if they would trim a brim on one of their instock hats before shipping it to me and they declined. That is why I asked Sam at EA if he could help out and he said yes if I was willing to wait the 90 days while the hat was produced to specifications at the factory. This is my second or third hat I purchased through EA with a reduced brim size.

I have no hat shop anywhere near my home and the cost of shipping in Canada greatly reduces the appeal of having the work done post arrival from a vendor.

I recently asked Sam if I could get an Akubra Traveller with a leather sweatband and he had to politely decline due to push back from the Akubra production manager.

I read that work is really booming at Akubra's manufacturing this year so I understand how this sort of request is disruptive to the supply chain.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Duper,
Something I don't think many here consider is that as "afficianados" of hat wearing and aquisition, we tend to think the hat world revolves around us and our wants. 'Fraid it aint so. As far as Akubra's hat production, from figures posted here in the past, they still produce over 75% of their hats for Australian consumtion and as such produce to that markets demands. To get different styles seems we need to buy MORE Akubra's and give 'em a reason to produce 'em :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
This morning I was given the heads up that the squatter in willow green has been discontinued by Akubra..... damn..... that was a nice hat.

This week I got my gray Squatter from Bluewater Group and DANG it is a nice hat.
I remember when I heard about the green Squatters discontinuing. Now I see what a shame that is. This would be a terrific lid in willow!
It's still great in gray, though!

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This week I got my gray Squatter from Bluewater Group and DANG it is a nice hat.
I remember when I heard about the green Squatters discontinuing. Now I see what a shame that is. This would be a terrific lid in willow!
It's still great in gray, though!

Sam

You'll like it ! It's a nice shade of Grey and works well with a wide variety of colors. I like mine and am anxiously awaiting October/November when it will cool down enough down here to wear it again :)

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Duper,
Something I don't think many here consider is that as "afficianados" of hat wearing and aquisition, we tend to think the hat world revolves around us and our wants. 'Fraid it aint so.

Something to be said for a business that goes out of its way to meet the needs of "afficianados", who are its most enthusiastic clients. Anyone who wants a hat customized will almost certainly want to buy more hats in the future and may be keen enough that their enthusiasm wears off on people around them. Maybe they should just charge a reasonable service fee and then make the effort to keep a core clientele happy.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You'll like it ! It's a nice shade of Grey and works well with a wide variety of colors. I like mine and am anxiously awaiting October/November when it will cool down enough down here to wear it again :)

Hey, you and Jim are the ones who got me off center with Akubra and I won't be looking back!

I know what you mean about the heat, but I'm sick of waiting.
I wore my bodacious Bushman yesterday and I'm wearing by significant Squatter today. I just keep wiping away sweat when appropriate.
I really like the tiny hint of blue to the Squatter gray and I also understand now why it was so tough really explaining the Bushman color.
They are all great, though.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hey, you and Jim are the ones who got me off center with Akubra and I won't be looking back!

I know what you mean about the heat, but I'm sick of waiting.
I wore my bodacious Bushman yesterday and I'm wearing by significant Squatter today. I just keep wiping away sweat when appropriate.
I really like the tiny hint of blue to the Squatter gray and I also understand now why it was so tough really explaining the Bushman color.
They are all great, though.

Sam

You're correct about the Grey, it does have undertones of blue which add to it's versitility. As for the Nulabor Tan of the Bushman, I think it is not a good name for the color as most folks denote a much lighter brownish tone to the term "Tan" and it certainly is not a "tan" to my eye. A much more versitile color in the Olive Brown/Green shades. It's one of my favorite colors Akubra makes. :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Something to be said for a business that goes out of its way to meet the needs of "afficianados", who are its most enthusiastic clients. Anyone who wants a hat customized will almost certainly want to buy more hats in the future and may be keen enough that their enthusiasm wears off on people around them. Maybe they should just charge a reasonable service fee and then make the effort to keep a core clientele happy.

Their "core clientele" are the majority of Aussie's they sell their hats to, not us "afficianados". :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I don't know anything about the Nullarbor Plain, except that it is about as far south as you can go without hitting water and that, from the pics, there is no water in it.

Of course people from elsewhere could believe that the Great Plains actually contain the Great American Desert ... and this summer I'm not sure I'd argue with them.

Nevertheless, I agree that Nullarbor TAN is a poor name choice. Nullarbor Brown would have been more accurate terminology.

Don't know ... don't care ... these are great hats. I put some money in a new brown dress hat earlier this year and I am kicking myself that I didn't know more at the time, because I can see now that the brown Squatter would have been a much better choice.

Maybe on down the line ...

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
As for the Nulabor Tan of the Bushman, I think it is not a good name for the color as most folks denote a much lighter brownish tone to the term "Tan" and it certainly is not a "tan" to my eye. A much more versitile color in the Olive Brown/Green shades. It's one of my favorite colors Akubra makes. :)

I concur. I love this hat and olive/brown color (only available on the Bushman). Now that the weather is getting a bit cooler here I have broken out my felts with the Bushman being my favorite hiking/casual everyday hat.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I don't know anything about the Nullarbor Plain, except that it is about as far south as you can go without hitting water and that, from the pics, there is no water in it.

Of course people from elsewhere could believe that the Great Plains actually contain the Great American Desert ... and this summer I'm not sure I'd argue with them.

Nevertheless, I agree that Nullarbor TAN is a poor name choice. Nullarbor Brown would have been more accurate terminology.

Don't know ... don't care ... these are great hats. I put some money in a new brown dress hat earlier this year and I am kicking myself that I didn't know more at the time, because I can see now that the brown Squatter would have been a much better choice.

Maybe on down the line ...

Sam

Just to whet your appitite more for a "brown" Squatter here's my Mid-Fawn DM Squatter for ya :)

11-8-10004.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass