Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Orangegrad

Practically Family
It's obvious, ANOTHER HAT is the ONLY answer :) (this place is NOT good to ask 'cause were' nothing but a bunch of enablers :) )
Here's a late 40's Fedora (my fathers Rittenhouse) with two colors of ribbon just to add to your dilema :)

Squatter1018.jpg

Now that's really nice. Why don't I find hats like this? You'd think with a size 7 1/8 that I'd have no trouble finding good vintage hats. This one is a beauty.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the pics, yours definitely looks different than the new pic on DM site,I wonder if they've changed the color but kept the acorn name?

job

One Too Many
I have that hat but my ribbon is the exact same color as the felt. Your's does not appear to match as close as mine. Not better or worse they are just different. David Morgan sells the acorn. Not acorn fawn.
hatssept242011030-1.jpg

hatssept242011034-1.jpg

Great hat for the money.

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes that looks like the one on DM , I see the difference between yours and Michael's it's the ribbon.
Thanks for posting the pics!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes that looks like the one on DM , I see the difference between yours and Michael's it's the ribbon.
Thanks for posting the pics!
The difference may be how film sees the ribbon color and how it's expressed when digitized as my ribbon is the same color as job's pics in the light. Pics were taken with Fuji Velvia 100 transparency film and the slides were digitized. That may be the "difference".

job

One Too Many
Hats direct sells the Stylemaster in Acorn while Australian Gear sells it in Acorn Fawn. The Fawn being the darker one of the two.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I would be surprised if "Acorn" and "Acorn Fawn" are not the same color. I have never seen any reference on the Akubra website regarding two different colors with the Acorn name. Same with "Tawny"/"Tawny Fawn".

The Stylemaster is one of the hats that Akubra keeps inventory of "stock" colors. On their webiste thay refer to the two stock colors as Acorn Fawn and Carbon Grey. Hats Direct calls them Acorn and Steel Grey while EA calls them Acorn Fawn and Mid Grey. I would be surprised if the colors are not the same.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
Akubra could do a better job with the use of names referring to the colors of their hats.
I have seen some Stylemasters in acorn that appeared lighter but felt in different lighting changes as we know.

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Akubra could do a better job with the use of names referring to the colors of their hats.
I have seen some Stylemasters in acorn that appeared lighter but felt in different lighting changes as we know.

I concur, but some of the confusion may be the individual sellers using their own color nomenclature. Of course Akubra does their share; e.g. "Campdraft" vs "Camp Draft".

Anyhow, still great hats and a value in a today's hat market.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

The factory gives the names, the retailers change 'em. You could always order two hats, one ea. from different retailers and send back the one that's different or not to your liking. In light, there's only 5 colors, all the rest are made from them and up to someones idea at the time of naming. Go look for "Off White" in paint colors, depending on what brand, I'll bet each one out of 5 brands is named differently for this color :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
MB!

You're killin' me, man.

I gotta get me some of that Stylemaster stuff.

I got my Pastor-A-List from a fellow Lounger this weekend and immediately installed my regular Squatter crease. It took it like a champ!

This is my first unlined Akubra and it almost has me wishing for hot weather again, it's so light! (ALMOST, I said!)

That acorn look great. Sort of greenish brown?

Sam

PS ... great shot in that close up. Ever considered a modeling career?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
MB!

You're killin' me, man.

I gotta get me some of that Stylemaster stuff.

I got my Pastor-A-List from a fellow Lounger this weekend and immediately installed my regular Squatter crease. It took it like a champ!

This is my first unlined Akubra and it almost has me wishing for hot weather again, it's so light! (ALMOST, I said!)

That acorn look great. Sort of greenish brown?

Sam

PS ... great shot in that close up. Ever considered a modeling career?

Thanks, but I'm gonna have to stop posting these "modern" hats on this Forum. It's only for hats made in the "Golden Era" and has too much taper ( they DID NOT ya know) and the crown is too low. I was told this by one of the older Forum members. No one has said just WHEN the "Golden Era" was chronologically but I'm sure a hat made this year would not qualify :)

frussell

One Too Many
Sure ya can! It's an AKUBRA. Doesn't matter if its "modern" or not, ya can post it! Why I once had an Akubra so tough that Chuck Norris broke his hand trying to crease it! Of course, that one was from DM, not from OZ! I've got a shed in my backyard built out of Akubras. They can take anything ya throw at em. Post em up! This is the AKUBRA OVERLOAD thread, after all:eek:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Sure ya can! It's an AKUBRA. Doesn't matter if its "modern" or not, ya can post it! Why I once had an Akubra so tough that Chuck Norris broke his hand trying to crease it! Of course, that one was from DM, not from OZ! I've got a shed in my backyard built out of Akubras. They can take anything ya throw at em. Post em up! This is the AKUBRA OVERLOAD thread, after all:eek:

I was told what this Forum is about by one of our older members in Post #41 of the Stingy Brim thread and that was it's about hats from the "Golden Era" that did not have any taper. New Akubra's would not meet that criteria. Just trying to follow the herd.

Sam Craig

One Too Many

I heard that John Wayne DID break his hand on an Akubra.
He took a swing at Ward Bond, who was wearing an Akubra Fedora ... he'd ordered it from The Bluewater Group ... and Bond ducked just in time.
The Duke took the full impact against the hat. Ward Bond was OK but they had to postpone shooting on Hondo until the cast came off.
True story ... or at least it oughta be!

Anyway ... they are tough hats!

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo