Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Duper

Practically Family
The brown Akubra Fedora I bought from The Hattery last week was certainly soft but not at all "floppy" - Although... a carbon grey one I tried on (with awesome red lining) definitely had a bit of flop to it.

The gals at the Hattery were saying that there is officially no difference between the felts on any of the comparable Akubras but for some reason it does seem to be the softest hat they make. I compared the Fedora to my stingy Hampton and would say the felt was about the same but the Hampton seemed a tad stiffer on account of the bound brim.

I love the fedora and the Burnt Oak is a beautiful colour - a nice warm chocolate, looks great with a navy suit!

Well I ordered my Sydney in regency fawn tonight from a U.S. online store. Noggintops. I have done business with them before and have been pleased with their service. They did not have one in stock so it will be a minor delay. Hopefully it will be at my door in about three weeks rather than the three months I have endured waiting for a non stock hat from OZ.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
The Stylemaster has been a hat that I have been looking at for awhile. I love the Akubra brand (I already own 3, 2 Fed IVs and 1 Adventurer) and have been very impressed with their value and the company's customer service. I am curious though, I heard that the Camp Draft was a license built copy of the Stetson Open Road and I was wondering if the Stylemaster is a copy of the Whippet? In looking at all the pictures that several of you have posted of the Stylemaster and in looking at photos of the Whippet they look very similar to me. Just curious that is all.
I did place an order tonight with David Morgan for one in Acorn and when it arrives I will post some photos. Once again I want to thank all you for the information you have posted. The FL is my biggest research tool when I am considering a new hat purchase.

Regards

Kirk H.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
The Stylemaster has been a hat that I have been looking at for awhile. I love the Akubra brand (I already own 3, 2 Fed IVs and 1 Adventurer) and have been very impressed with their value and the company's customer service. I am curious though, I heard that the Camp Draft was a license built copy of the Stetson Open Road and I was wondering if the Stylemaster is a copy of the Whippet? In looking at all the pictures that several of you have posted of the Stylemaster and in looking at photos of the Whippet they look very similar to me. Just curious that is all.
I did place an order tonight with David Morgan for one in Acorn and when it arrives I will post some photos. Once again I want to thank all you for the information you have posted. The FL is my biggest research tool when I am considering a new hat purchase.

Regards

Kirk H.

I believe the Whippet has a higher crown. And the photos I've seen of the modern Whippet, the crown is shaped/sloped differently than the Stylemaster.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Regards

Kirk H.

Not sure about it being a version of the Whippet, but the Sylemaster has been in the Akubra line-up since the 50's. here's a catalog page showing it back then. This was posted some time back by one of the members in OZ.

img3431.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Not sure about it being a version of the Whippet, but the Sylemaster has been in the Akubra line-up since the 50's. here's a catalog page showing it back then. This was posted some time back by one of the members in OZ.

img3431.jpg

Thanks for the info Monbla256 about when the Stylemaster was introduced. That add showing the styles is very cool.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I wonder if Akubra has always made the Stylemaster with the same dimensions. The newer ones appear to have a shorter crown according to the pictures at David Morgan's website. I would hope though that the crown is taller than the modern Whippet.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Here is a picture that I found online of a Whippet
medium_130635StetsonWhippet4.jpg
[/IMG]

And here is the photo of the Stylemaster from DM
Stylemaster.jpg
[/IMG]

I see now how the crown and the pinch are slightly different, but to me they do look very similar. Hopefully my Stylemaster will be here in a few days.

Kirk H.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Hey Spats, just wondering what hat you have on in your avatar? It looks very sharp.

Kirk H.
Kirk, that is an Akubra Squatter. More specifically, it is the world famous Fedora Lounge Traveling Hat. I got to wear it for a bit, and sent it on its merry journey.

(By the way, guys, where is the hat these days?)

Edited to add: Kirk, I see that you've got a Stylemaster on the way. They're fantastic. I have had two (sold one because it was too small), and mine gets significant noggin time.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Well I ordered my Sydney in regency fawn tonight from a U.S. online store. Noggintops. I have done business with them before and have been pleased with their service. They did not have one in stock so it will be a minor delay. Hopefully it will be at my door in about three weeks rather than the three months I have endured waiting for a non stock hat from OZ.

Sweet - I look forward to seeing it. It'd be great to see a Sydney and a Fedora side by side.

Everyone says it's the same hat, but it'd be interesting to compare.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Kirk, that is an Akubra Squatter. More specifically, it is the world famous Fedora Lounge Traveling Hat. I got to wear it for a bit, and sent it on its merry journey.

I've been wondering the same Spats - it was due to return to it's spiritual home down-under for a brief tour but I've heard naught for a while!?

Kirk H.

One Too Many

Edited to add: Kirk, I see that you've got a Stylemaster on the way. They're fantastic. I have had two (sold one because it was too small), and mine gets significant noggin time.

Thanks Spats, It should arive today(The Stylemaster that is, I hate to hear about the AWOL Hat) and I will post some photos when I get a chance.

Kirk

Last edited:

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
My Acorn Stylemaster arrived this morning. It is the first bound brim hat for me,and I really like it.I ordered it from Everything Austrailian on Jan 3, so exactly 14 days to arrive.( I will add my voice to the many others that have ordered from Hats Direct and E.A. and say both are great to deal with.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran