Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Hi monbla256, I think you are wearing a Stylemaster in the photo, not a Sydney. I am unsure if mid brown and regency fawn are the same colour. I have a CD in mid brown with a 2 1/2 inch brim and I find it is a very dark brown. I would like to get a Sydney, but I do not want another fedora in exactly the same colour with the same brim size.

Michael Plante, is the regency fawn a deep brown or more of a darker tan?

I have a Sydney in regency fawn. It's a muted brownish green. If people described it as olive or loden I wouldn't say they're wrong. It's a distinctly different color than Mid-Brown, which is darker in tone and richer in hue.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi monbla256, I think you are wearing a Stylemaster in the photo, not a Sydney. I am unsure if mid brown and regency fawn are the same colour. I have a CD in mid brown with a 2 1/2 inch brim and I find it is a very dark brown. I would like to get a Sydney, but I do not want another fedora in exactly the same colour with the same brim size.

Michael Plante, is the regency fawn a deep brown or more of a darker tan?

You are correct. I had the Stylemaster on my brain and miss responded :) i was up in Seattle during Christmas and went with my son-in -law to DM's shop to get him an Akubra. (he got a Acorn Fawn Stylemaster BTW and I'm wearing mine today :) ) I did get to compare the two hats and have to say that except for having a raw edge on the brim and being an open crowned hat, the Sydney AND Stylemaster are the SAME hat! I got to see a Regency Fawn Sydney and a Fawn Squatter next to my Mid-Brown CD I wore and both the Squatter and Sydney browns were lighter and redder than the Mid-Brown for sure. Niether had any green tone to them (olive like as has been described) both were solid lighter browns.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I got to see a Regency Fawn Sydney and a Fawn Squatter next to my Mid-Brown CD I wore and both the Squatter and Sydney browns were lighter and redder than the Mid-Brown for sure. Niether had any green tone to them (olive like as has been described) both were solid lighter browns.

There is no red tone in Regency Fawn. At all. I have a Sydney and Angler, both in Regency Fawn and purchased from David Morgan. Definitely an olive color.

Monbla, maybe you're confusing colors? Would be easy to do with Akubra and all the different ____ Fawn names they have.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
There is no red tone in Regency Fawn. At all. I have a Sydney and Angler, both in Regency Fawn and purchased from David Morgan. Definitely an olive color.

Monbla, maybe you're confusing colors? Would be easy to do with Akubra and all the different ____ Fawn names they have.

You are correct in the fawn color name thing for sure. I'm going by my recent experience looking at both in front of the front windows of DM's store in bright daylight side by side. There was a red/brown tone to my eyes in both. But then, we all can see colors differently :)

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks KyleK and monbla256. What interested me about the Sydney are the comments I have read about it being a very soft and light hat. I also like the open crown models. I am sure the Sydney and Stylemaster are very similar in general appearance, but perhaps the felt is the truly distinguishing factor. I think I will place an order early next week. My first new hat of the year! Shhh, don't tell my wife.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks KyleK and monbla256. What interested me about the Sydney are the comments I have read about it being a very soft and light hat. I also like the open crown models. I am sure the Sydney and Stylemaster are very similar in general appearance, but perhaps the felt is the truly distinguishing factor. I think I will place an order early next week. My first new hat of the year! Shhh, don't tell my wife.

Owning both, I have to say they are the same style of felt. Smooth, light and pliable, very different from the heavier version of the Imperial grade as is in my other Akubra's. All of my Stylemasters and one Sydney have responded well to rain and steam and I like the "hand" they have. Which are you getting, Stylemaster or Sydney and which color?

Duper

Practically Family
I was planning to order a Sydney in the regency fawn colour. I was under the impression that the Sydney is very soft, light and not "stiff" at all. I had asked the folks at EA awhile back and they described the Akubra Fedora as almost "floppy". I wonder if the DM USA Sydney hat felt is different from the EA Aussie Fedora? Maybe I will give DM a call tomorrow to ask if the Sydney is made to some slightly different specification. I know they leave off the wind trolley on the USA version.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I was planning to order a Sydney in the regency fawn colour. I was under the impression that the Sydney is very soft, light and not "stiff" at all. I had asked the folks at EA awhile back and they described the Akubra Fedora as almost "floppy". I wonder if the DM USA Sydney hat felt is different from the EA Aussie Fedora? Maybe I will give DM a call tomorrow to ask if the Sydney is made to some slightly different specification. I know they leave off the wind trolley on the USA version.

The brown Akubra Fedora I bought from The Hattery last week was certainly soft but not at all "floppy" - Although... a carbon grey one I tried on (with awesome red lining) definitely had a bit of flop to it.

The gals at the Hattery were saying that there is officially no difference between the felts on any of the comparable Akubras but for some reason it does seem to be the softest hat they make. I compared the Fedora to my stingy Hampton and would say the felt was about the same but the Hampton seemed a tad stiffer on account of the bound brim.

I love the fedora and the Burnt Oak is a beautiful colour - a nice warm chocolate, looks great with a navy suit!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
...oh and I'm a big fan of the trolly cord!

My first stetson as a kid - an old Open Road - had the string+button and while I had no idea what it was for I loved the look - I nice nod to the old days!
cr

Duper

Practically Family
...oh and I'm a big fan of the trolly cord!

My first stetson as a kid - an old Open Road - had the string+button and while I had no idea what it was for I loved the look - I nice nod to the old days!
cr

I like the wind trolleys as well. I was actually considering ordering the burnt oak and the fern green as one order from Sam at EA to save on shipping. It is just that 3 month wait that gets a bit long sometimes. Maybe if I like the regency fawn version I will order another from EA . I'm very envious of you being able to walk into a store and actually handle and try on a nice hat before making a purchase.

Imagine that, walking home with your new hat on a nice sunny day. It is too dream!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Imagine that, walking home with your new hat on a nice sunny day. It is too dream!

That's exactly what i did!:D Grubby old polo shirt, cargo shorts and thongs (no, not the underwear - the flip-flop footwear kind;)) and the most stylish hat on the street!

At least I was well dressed from the neck up!

Mind you, it's a 2 hour drive from my place to Katoomba. My wife thinks I'm mad - but I say it was totally worth it!!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If a full-service hat store which stocked my favorite brand of factory hats were to open in Lafayette, LA, which is about 2 hours' drive west of me, I'd make a run up there now and then, too. Yeah, I know Meyer the Hatter is right downtown from me -- but they don't stock many Akubras.

pak

One of the Regulars
This question has probably been answered many times, but here goes. Does the Akubra felt e.g. Stylemaster contain any wool or is it 100% rabbit hair? Thanks, Pete

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This question has probably been answered many times, but here goes. Does the Akubra felt e.g. Stylemaster contain any wool or is it 100% rabbit hair? Thanks, Pete
ALL fur felt Akubra's DO NOT contain any wool. They have some beaver/rabbit blend felts but the majority of them are rabbit fur felts. I'm not familiar with ANY wool felt hats Akubra makes, and the Stylemaster is ALL fur felt.

I went with my son Nigel, to our local hattery to enquire about a green Stylemaster, we had a look at some colour swatches and agreed that leaf green would be the way to go, the young lady in the shop called the factory, which was closed for the next week, but the person in the Akubra office felt sure that they could do a special order in the colour and for the same price $124.95 (Aus) as a usual Stylemaster they will call Nigel next week to confirm the order.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
ALL fur felt Akubra's DO NOT contain any wool. They have some beaver/rabbit blend felts but the majority of them are rabbit fur felts. I'm not familiar with ANY wool felt hats Akubra makes, and the Stylemaster is ALL fur felt.

As I understand it, Imperial grade is all rabbit and Heritage is a blend of rabbit and wild hare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran